Rooting and Upgrading

• Replies:4
Matt Wills
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 13, 2013, 1:09:30 PM via Website

Admittedly, I have avoided rooting my Asus Transformer TF101 more out of fear of turning it into a brick than anything else. That fear has subsided somewhat. I am not computer illiterate, but don't want to lose the device. I simply can't replace it right now.

The simple questions:
  1. How difficult / dangerous is the process of rooting the TF101?
  2. Does "brick" in fact equal unusable forever or can I recover?
  3. Once rooted, can I upgrade it to 4.4, and where do I get it?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Nov 13, 2013, 1:31:26 PM via Website

well i can answer your third question i.e.Once rooted, can I upgrade it to 4.4, and where do I get it?
Once rooted you'll be able to upgrade to 4.4, but not over the air you need to search for 4.4 firmware. like there are other custom ROM developed by developers like one of the most popular one is Cynogen mode !! once rooted you can get 4.4 from there website.

Matt Wills
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 13, 2013, 1:36:47 PM via Website

Thanks.

I suppose I should add the question "Does anyone know if the TF101 can even take 4.4?"

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 13, 2013, 2:12:58 PM via Website

Heya @Matt, your Transformer can certainly take 4.4 as it is not that old. The only thing is there could be some hardware standards for new features that your tablet doesn't have (like graphics that are beyond your GPU for example), but this won't stop your tablet from taking 4.4

To answer your other questions, root is super simple, here's a link to a one click root tool from XDA Developers. it tells you what to do (basically download and click Root!). I haven't used it so I can't vouch for its quality, but getting root is pretty simple so I see now reason why it wouldn't work.

There's a lot of different degrees of bricking, soft bricking is relatively easy to fix but there's no simple way to do it, it kind of requires some experience and lots of attempts. We sometimes have editors spending half a day unbricking a device here. So follow all steps to a letter when flashing custom ROMs, ensure you have the appropriate firmware for your device and read as much as you can first to ensure you don't make any silly mistakes that others have warned about in comments etc.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting