Curved screens and flexible displays

• Replies:20
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 9, 2013, 10:44:21 AM via Website

Samsung has just revealed the curved screen Galaxy Round, and LG will reveal the Z (or Z1) later this month which features a flexible screen (that doesn't actually bend). What are your thoughts on the future of smartphones in the light of curved and flexible display technologies?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Ronald Butts
  • Forum posts: 6

Oct 10, 2013, 1:59:06 AM via App

I am waiting to see the new Lg and Samsung phones to see how they utilized the curved screen/phone. Unfortunately I am getting the uneasy feeling the phones will be using the curved capability just to be different not to be more useful. I really like the screen shots I've seen that show a wrap around screen, this would get more screen real estate and possibly provide information on the sides of the display.

Kris Carlon

Oct 10, 2013, 11:44:42 AM via Website

True, but I wonder how wraparound screens will handle accidental presses? It would be cool to have software buttons on the edges of your screen/device, but it could also make handling the thing a bit more difficult! Have you seen the pictures of the new Samsung Round yet? Here's an image of Samsung's first curved screen attempt that shows just how much the screen is curved - not that much. I'm looking forward to see what LG bring forward too and to seeing them in the flesh to see what hands-on difference they really make.

— modified on Oct 10, 2013, 11:44:53 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Oct 11, 2013, 8:17:22 AM via Website

I dont think that LG will really name it's phone Z1. Z maybe but Z1 would be the perfect place fo Sony to put their butt in...

MFG/Regards My1

imanitta
  • Forum posts: 8

Oct 14, 2013, 12:50:33 AM via App

i dont see any benefit of this version of "flexible" screen (galaxy round) since its has ability to broken..anw still waiting flexible sreen msybe long time!!

Kris Carlon

Oct 14, 2013, 9:29:03 AM via Website

Hey @imanitta, I think the use of the term ''flexible'' is quite misleading, as it of course makes everyone think of the really flexible displays we've seen demoed by LG a lot. While those phones are undoubtedly not far away, it is a bit deceptive to call these current phones flexible when the screens don't actually bend. I think there's a very big difference between a rugged display that can handle impacts and flex and actually flexible displays. Flexible phones are another thing entirely...

Kris Carlon

Oct 14, 2013, 9:39:40 AM via Website

And here's the first press render of LG's G Flex (aka Z or Z1): LG said ''bendable and unbreakable'' screens are already in mass production. We'll just wait and see. What do you think of this curved smartphone? No news yet if it will actually be flexible at all, so we'll await the announcement.

— modified on Oct 14, 2013, 9:40:38 AM

My1

Oct 14, 2013, 11:36:23 AM via Website

I'd say that the Galaxy Round Like curved screens are more to my liking...

MFG/Regards My1

Kris Carlon

Oct 14, 2013, 2:34:00 PM via Website

Yeah I've been thinking about the left-right vs top/bottom bend and I really can't think of how either way would be better than the other (or better than flat), although it does seem like the Round might possibly be easier on the hand (having the far side of the screen curve towards your thumb might make single-handed navigation easier) and I guess it'll fit in your hand better. It even matches the curve of your leg so it's got more pocket-potential than the G Flex, but really, I can't imagine pocket-friendliness is a motivator for making phones like this so there's got to be some pretty serious ambitions behind the OEM's choices, other than just being ''first''. Although the fact they chose different axes to bend means they're obviously thinking about very different improvements.

My1

Oct 14, 2013, 3:27:52 PM via Website

well pocket friendliness is a serious matter to me. before I bought the note 2 I took the demo device and put it carefully into the pocket and out again without triggering the alarm, just to know whether it fits or not. it would be bad to have a phone that doesnt fit your pocket...

MFG/Regards My1

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 14, 2013, 6:27:35 PM via Website

I would have a really tough time sticking at Note 3 in my pocket, because I have a hard time even fitting my GS3 in there! Girls, however, are less likely to be doing this anyways since most carry a purse.

Also, I don't think we will truly be seeing flexible smartphones until we see more innovation with inner hardware. So as Kris says, these aren't really flexible however I can appreciate the fact that phones, which cost an arm and a leg, will receive new technology to make them more long-lasting.

My1

Oct 14, 2013, 6:29:36 PM via Website

how tiny are your pockets. I even get a GTab 2 7.0, or even a note 8.0 in my right pocket (my left is a little bit smaller but still fits the tab 2 7.0 nice enough), tested about a month ago out of curiosity...

MFG/Regards My1

Kris Carlon

Oct 15, 2013, 3:10:08 PM via Website

Haha, well I don't think you and Loie wear the same kind of jeans Philipp! But these phablets are pretty massive to get in your pants pocket no matter how loose your jeans. I mean, sure, they fit in there but not in a terribly practical sense. I can fit small hardcover books in my pockets but never do because it's irritating, uncomfortable and impractical (not to mention it looks goofy). Then you throw a curve into the mix and it only becomes more ungainly. I for one don't want to have to keep my phone in my bag (which I don't even have most of the time).

My1

Oct 15, 2013, 6:29:57 PM via Website

well I have that with my Tab it fits but its not comfortavle but Note 2 fits and I can sit without the least problems...

MFG/Regards My1

Luis Alved
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 15, 2013, 10:44:52 PM via App

I would see some real benefits not on bending, but in unbreakable screens, or at least much more resistant than they actually are. A lot of my friends have broken their iPhone and Android screens easily. Last one was 2 weeks ago with Nexus 4, short ridiculous fall and got into pieces.

Kris Carlon

Oct 16, 2013, 5:04:00 PM via Website

Hey @Luis Alved, true that. I've seen so many cracked screen Nexuses and iPhones it's not funny. I love the feel of my Nexus 4 but that silky smooth buttery glass is surely going to end up in pieces on the floor eventually (because I refuse to put a case on any of my phones). LG are boasting that their new ''flex'' screens, that are reportedly already in mass production, are basically indestructible, so if you're in the market for a new phone in the coming months keep an eye out for OEMs that get their screens from LG!

Kris Carlon

Nov 11, 2013, 10:00:19 AM via Website

The new videos of the LG G Flex show that it truly is flexible, not entirely but certainly more than the Galaxy Round, and certainly enough to withstand some pretty serious misuse - you can stand on it and it will flex enough to not damage the phone. My question now is, can they make good enough glass (plastic) to mean you no longer need cases if the phone itself can handle drops and damage. I imagine a few accessory manufacturers are having crisis meetings as we speak.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Nov 12, 2013, 12:04:22 PM via Website

add this one too iOS is also planning to launch curved display phone with its iPhone 6 series !!

Pushendra Yadav
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 1:31:03 PM via Website

I am waiting for this technology and curved and flexible display will be pocket friendly. Sometimes we got damage of phone because of not pocket friendly display.

Kris Carlon

Nov 13, 2013, 12:42:21 PM via Website

Well, if Apple is doing it, then it will be accepted as grand product innovation and the way of the future, and in one year's time I will look silly for not knowing now why it would make much of a difference. And then Apple will sue Samsung and Samsung will sue Apple and nothing much will change. Except our phones will, indeed, fit in our pockets better.