Unsupported Flash Player comments

• Replies:18
  • Answered
José Furtado
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 5, 2013, 7:26:38 PM via Website

I used to love following the ASP World Tour surf events on my Android smartphone, until now!...
The fact that most Android users became unable to watch Flash Player live broadcasts since Adobe discontinued its support, makes me consider how wise was Steve Jobs long ago decision not to allow Apple smartphones to depend on that unpredictable software!
Unfortunately a similar decision wasn't followed by Android responsible entities, to have worked out in time a proper platform alternative that would have avoid millions of users to become now unable to watch their favorite broadcasts on their mobile devices.
And unless the Android market solves that live streaming viewing limitation in a reasonable time, or many other users like me will get an iPhone instead!

Richard Amber
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 5, 2013, 7:43:56 PM via App

You can install it on your phone. Just Google it.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 5, 2013, 7:56:09 PM via Website

Hi Jose,

Although Adobe Flash Player in no longer being updated or supported, you can still install it in your device.

It's a pain to get it directly from the web but if you install a browser like Firefox or Dolphin, it's a bit easier to get it through their support walk throughs.

-I spent months getting the runaround through the internet. But when I installed Firefox in my device, in under 20 minutes, I had Adobe Flash Player 11.1 plug-in installed in my Note 10.1. I use it all the time and can't live without it!

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

José Furtado

Oct 5, 2013, 8:23:23 PM via Website

Richard Amber
You can install it on your phone. Just Google it.

That's not the issue and I never had the need to get it through Google Play. I managed to install it from a forum app file on the root of my first Android mobile (a Samsung Galaxy Ace) which was not an Adobe's certified device!
Then I got a Huawei G300 on which, for being a certified one, I could have properly installed the FP from Google Play.
Now I bought a Huawei G615 and the installation of FP cannot be done through Google Play because Adobe discontinued its support on devices with versions over 4.0 and on devices having new configurations.
Therefore I've installed the latest available version of FP from an Adobe's Archive and it worked well for a while and then it stopped running and messed up my device because of the app's instability.
That forced me to reset my device with all its inconveniences and I no longer wish to use a software that I cannot keep up to date and having it running flawlessly!

José Furtado

Oct 5, 2013, 8:29:55 PM via Website

Amy R.
Hi Jose,

Although Adobe Flash Player in no longer being updated or supported, you can still install it in your device.

It's a pain to get it directly from the web but if you install a browser like Firefox or Dolphin, it's a bit easier to get it through their support walk throughs.

-I spent months getting the runaround through the internet. But when I installed Firefox in my device, in under 20 minutes, I had Adobe Flash Player 11.1 plug-in installed in my Note 10.1. I use it all the time and can't live without it!

Thats what I did when I found out FP wasn't running on my new Huawei, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to run properly with Firefox either which keeps saying there's a plug-in missing that was supposed to be installed automatically!

Amy R.

Oct 5, 2013, 8:38:07 PM via Website

I hear you though. not having this as a still updating service is a real pain in the a**.

— modified on Oct 5, 2013, 8:42:16 PM

Amy R.

Oct 5, 2013, 8:58:39 PM via Website

José Furtado
Amy R.
Hi Jose,

Thats what I did when I found out FP wasn't running on my new Huawei, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to run properly with Firefox either which keeps saying there's a plug-in missing that was supposed to be installed automatically!

I have 4.1.2 version in my Note. I also had to open FP and adjust the settings to always stay on and adjust other apps settings to always on & accept. You most likely have a newer Android version in your Huawei but you may still want to double check the settings in everything. For me, it did not do it automatically even though I thought it would. I installed it about 4 months ago, have it plugged into over a half a dozen things and use it to death with no problems. To be honest, if you have 4.3 or higher, there might be a compliation with using it.

-This sucks though and I do hate that Adobe doesn't make it for Android anymore!

— modified on Oct 5, 2013, 9:04:31 PM

José Furtado

Oct 5, 2013, 10:50:37 PM via Website

Amy R.
José Furtado
Amy R.
Hi Jose,

I have 4.1.2 version in my Note. I also had to open FP and adjust the settings to always stay on and adjust other apps settings to always on & accept. You most likely have a newer Android version in your Huawei but you may still want to double check the settings in everything. For me, it did not do it automatically even though I thought it would. I installed it about 4 months ago, have it plugged into over a half a dozen things and use it to death with no problems. To be honest, if you have 4.3 or higher, there might be a compliation with using it.

-This sucks though and I do hate that Adobe doesn't make it for Android anymore!

In fact I still have the factory 4.0.4 version on my Huawei G615 although it can allegedly be upgraded to the 4.1 one.
May be I'll give it another try in reinstalling the FP and do the manual adjustments you're referring to.
Thanks for your advice

Amy R.

Oct 6, 2013, 3:36:15 AM via App

José Furtado
Amy R.
José Furtado
Amy R.
Hi Jose,

In fact I still have the factory 4.0.4 version on my Huawei G615 although it can allegedly be upgraded to the 4.1 one.
May be I'll give it another try in reinstalling the FP and do the manual adjustments you're referring to.
Thanks for your advice

I forgot to mention earlier, when you install FP again:

1) Select it on your app list then select Firefox 2 adjust the settings for FP

2) When you select it to always stay on, also make sure you have cache setting set not to allow 3rd party access and no anonymous reporting
***Not setting FP that way tends to make it a little unstable***

Added note (web surfing): If you want to fully utilize flash websites (touch and dragging icons) like Windows, you should install Dolphin Browser. From experience, I've found Firefox has the tendency not to acknowledge this feature. Firefox is my default browser but for certain things, Dophin is a good secondary.

- hope this helps

José Furtado

Oct 6, 2013, 3:46:09 PM via Website

Thanks for your help and I will follow your tips to see if I can manage to get that infamous FP back to work!

David Sterling
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 7, 2013, 6:24:38 AM via App

I recently downloaded the Photon Browser that has the FP in it at the press of a button and it works.

Amy R.

Oct 7, 2013, 7:11:10 AM via App

David Sterling
I recently downloaded the Photon Browser that has the FP in it at the press of a button and it works.

One thing I'm curious about. I've used Puffin Browser in the past and the flash it provides with it is very shifty (not fluid, unstable viewing). You also have no ability to touch and drag icons on flash sites with it (example: pokemon.com).

-How fluid is it's flash? How user friendly is it on flash sites?

I like collecting and comparing different flash browsers, please left me know............

Amy R.

Oct 7, 2013, 7:11:26 AM via App

I love trying out different flash browsers

— modified on Oct 7, 2013, 7:12:32 AM

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 7, 2013, 11:34:18 AM via Website

You're not alone guys, there's plenty of us in Android Land that are unhappy with the lack of Flash Player support. The only consolation is that we're all in the same boat. But it sucks that many websites will never do the upgrade work to get HTML5 on their pages, so we're left out in the cold. As mentioned above, there's a host of decent browsers that handle Flash better than others.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

David Sterling

Oct 7, 2013, 6:25:00 PM via App

I've only used it to watch videos on sites that require it. I've not experimented it beyond that.

David Sterling

Dec 3, 2013, 9:01:42 PM via App

I recently downloaded the Dolphin HD browser to my new Samsung Galaxy Tab. I the found that by installing the Dolphin Jetpack from the Play Store and turning on Flash from there it will automatically ask you to download it by taking you somewhere non-descript and you just press the button and boom, you're done. It works. It was too easy.

Amy R.

Dec 3, 2013, 10:58:08 PM via App

@David Sterling, you're absolutely right. Dophin HD is probably the easiest to intergrate with FP. It's the most agreeable too. :P

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 131

Dec 4, 2013, 4:00:05 PM via App

@Kris: Flash should already be dead. It's a closed proprietary format that no one should be using anymore. That's why Adobe stopped supporting it and created an alternative to Flash based in HTML5 and Javascript.

I have no idea which websites do you use that still use Flash but if you stop using those sites they will be forced to move to HTML5/Javascript or just fade into oblivion.

Amy R.

Dec 4, 2013, 4:10:34 PM via App

Henrique Rocha
@Kris: Flash should already be dead. It's a closed proprietary format that no one should be using anymore. That's why Adobe stopped supporting it and created an alternative to Flash based in HTML5 and Javascript.

I have no idea which websites do you use that still use Flash but if you stop using those sites they will be forced to move to HTML5/Javascript or just fade into oblivion.

@Henrique- That is a ridiculous thing to say. What about all those flash gaming websites???