Would you wear ''wearable tech''???

• Replies:14
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Jun 25, 2013, 12:32:37 PM via Website

There isn't a border anymore between fashion and tech and we see this everyday with our smartphones. Now more and more companies are forging a way in wearable tech, just look at Google with Google Glass, the Pebble smartwatch, the Italien I.AM watch, UPS Jawbone....and the list goes on!

Sony has come out with the first water-resistant smartwatch with NFC: SmartWatch 2.

Would you wear ''wearable tech'' and if so what?

— modified on Jun 25, 2013, 12:36:02 PM

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 25, 2013, 1:56:30 PM via Website

Well I do wear a watch, but it's kind of handy (altimeter, compass, barometer and all that), so maybe the question for me is would I wear two watches? Funnily enough, yes I would! I definitely think I'd go a smartwatch before Google Glass but that's probably just because they're currently so goofy looking. I've seen other mockups that look heaps cooler. But as Mary mentioned, would I buy wearable tech when I already have a watch and smartphone? Hmmm...

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Jun 25, 2013, 3:28:07 PM via Website

I'd be more comfortable with a smartwatch than glass... but then, maybe smartphones will be obsolete in 10 years and wearable tech will be what's available, so I wouldn't say for sure I won't wear glass type devices.
But here's a question: what if you actually need a prescription? I'm near-sighted enough that I can't function in a lot of situations without... A prescription would have to be built in before I wouldn't consider the whole thing just too inconvenient. Wonder when that will come.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Rutger
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 1, 2013, 3:04:03 PM via Website

There are watches everywhere and I always bumped my watch into something scratching it, so I ditched my watch 10 years ago.
For me, No. No watch for me, even if it would be great for Runkeeper and......... that's it.

Instead of seeing all the crazy people walking around starring at their phone all day, people will walk around with their wrist raised to see the latest "likes" on Facebook. They will look ridiculous.
And voice control? Should you talk into your watch lie a scifi-nerd or is controlled by earplugs/mic's? Isn't it better to connect directly to the phone in that case?
I'm sorry, I don't get it.

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 21, 2013, 12:28:18 AM via Website

I've pretty much gave up wearing a watch in the last few years, it wasn't really a concious decision I just tend to forget to put a watch on when I'm getting ready and it's not turned out to be a big deal because my phone tells me what time it is. But I like a lot of the designs that are out there for Smartwatches and I love the idea of being able to check messages/email/see who is calling without having to dig my phone out of my bag/pocket, I am more likely to remember to put on a smartwatch because it would be linked to my phone.

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 21, 2013, 6:37:31 PM via Website

I didn't really think I would but I read about the Samsung watch Gear. Now I think I want to see what it does and if it's good then I would wear that. If it can do things my phone normally does then I can use my phone less. Will the bluetooth connection drain the battery too quickly though? I think it will be cool to be able to talk into your watch!

Craig Meeks
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 22, 2013, 10:53:41 PM via Website

Glasses no, sorry Google. But watch yes!

Lindsey Hatfield
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 1:40:21 AM via Website

Well basically, I already do !
I have a Nike sports watch which is a GPS and links wirelessly with a heart rate monitor and has a USB port built into the band.
So what features will this Samsung gear watch provide, I will be interested to see.
I love my tech on the wrist, though as it is big, I think it needs to be wide along the arm, not high across the wrist and beyond.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 3, 2013, 9:16:17 PM via Website

No, I have no interest in google glasses. My prescription glasses work just fine. The tech watch sounds cool though. I'm a little to addicted to my tablet for the time being :)

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Tony Bolan

Richard Fletcher
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 6, 2013, 12:36:57 AM via Website

I have ordered one of these omate truesmart waterproof watch on kickstarter (cant post URL) the specs are a lot lot lot better and it is cheaper I got mine as soon as I saw it so I opted for the pre rooted version 1 of the first 2000 get in there roll on October, BTW the watch had a stretch goal of $500k and that got smashed so all watches will come with sapphire crystal glass so if you would wear a smart watch have a look at this and $20 extra get memory taking it to a mind blowing 1 gig lol:grin:

DonCui
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 6, 2014, 9:53:12 AM via Website

i am interesting in google glass,i don't like smartwatch ,the smartwatch just a small wear phone

AppiGuru
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 1, 2016, 5:35:07 AM via Website

Of course I do. We can wear a Smart watch like a regular watch and use android or iOS app on that device. It is easy to use and carry and looks nice. Wearable devices are very sleek, lightweight. There are so many app developers who works on wearable devices and make it user friendly.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Aug 12, 2018, 2:57:59 PM via Website

Hi Loie
Our society has become to dependant on this new electronic technology.
I say no to wearable devices for a few reasons. But the most important for me is my job.
These electronic devices suggest to me and my employer, personal business. And that dosen't belong in the workplace! Especially mine!
I leave my smartphone at home when when I'm working! And I receive a lot less stern looks from my boss.
I would never wear a smartwatch because of the cost, and that tiny little screen,
And I heard that those smartglasses could damage your eyes! And I don't think they look good or fashionable on anybody. They remind me of the crazy sunglasses that Elton John use to wear!
(smug)
Lindsay