HTC Sensation XE — Sensation XE with ICS Update - Exchange 2003

• Replies:20
Mark Ferguson
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 22, 2012, 12:00:33 PM via Website

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a term that comes to mind. I got sucked into the the ICS hype and really wish I hadn't.

Have an issue that is critical for me but understand maybe not so for all.

Sensation XE
Android Version 4.0.3
Build 3.32.401.105

Unfortunetly my corporate network still deploy Excahnge Server 2003 SP2. After update to ICS I have the following problem:

1. Cannot view "Sent Items" in email.
2. Settings/Account & sync/Exchange ActiveSync/Account setings - Changed "Download past mail" to 30 days, "Mail size limit" to Maximum size and "Sync events for past" to 6 months. The settings will not save and eventually revert back to defaults

The settings show an error "Error occoured on the computer running the Excahnge server"

Have tried same on Exchange 2010 server and all works well. Have also tried alternative account on Excahge 2003 server and same problem exists. We have also noticed same issue on Desire S users with build 2.10.161.3.

Driving me up the wall!

Amanda Clark
  • Forum posts: 51

Apr 23, 2012, 12:18:14 PM via Website

Is your Sensation rooted or is it running stock? Maybe its worth upgrading to the new 4.04 update to see if it resolves this issue? Also, have you checked the Exchange 2003 forums to see if there is any known compatibility issues with Android ICS 4.0.3?

Mark Ferguson

Apr 23, 2012, 8:19:11 PM via Website

Amanda

Thanks for your suggestions.

My XE is stock. I have searched high and low at Android and Exchange 2003 forums and yes have come accross similiar but not specifically same problems with HTC Gingerbread and ICS updates affecting what appears to be subtle ActiveSync change within those updates that do not like Exchange 2003.

HTC have agreed there is something not right and are looking into ActiveSynce versions.

Until then I continue to whatever I can to get sorted.

Thanks again.

Mark Ferguson

Apr 23, 2012, 8:35:34 PM via Website

Amanda

Just checked and 4.04 is not yet availble on my Sensation XE. Maybe this will be one of the ICS big fixes in 4.04. Fingers crossed.

Tom B.
  • Forum posts: 20

Apr 24, 2012, 10:27:56 PM via Website

Mark

I have the same problem, the exchange client on my XE no longer retains any of my settings since upgrading to ICS last week. Contacted HTC support, but as at today 24 April and one week on I am still wating for a responce.
Tom :(

— modified on Apr 24, 2012, 10:29:23 PM

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Apr 25, 2012, 3:48:14 PM via Website

Android fragmentation rears its ugly head. :(

Let us know if you guys get a response from HTC!

Mark Ferguson

Apr 30, 2012, 3:47:45 PM via Website

Just had another conversation with HTC. They say they are seeing more reports of this problem which I guess makes sense as ICS rolls out more and more. They are now saying it is a bug in their version of ICS (Build 3.32.401.105 on the Sensation XE) and Gingerbread (Build 2.10.161.3 on Desire S ). Looks like there will be no immediate fix as they still are unsure what the problem exactly is and suggest it would only
be fixed with a version update. So looks like the company is going to have to trash all our HTCs with problems and migrate to Samsung or Apple!

Will keep posted with any updates.

Eric McBride

May 2, 2012, 4:20:11 PM via Website

Man oh man..HTC is really getting sloppy lately. Hopefully they shape up soon.

Thanks for sharing what they said!

Mark Ferguson

May 6, 2012, 1:00:09 AM via App

Have heard from a Desire S user with same problem that a mail update appeared today via OTA.

Tom B.

May 9, 2012, 5:47:16 PM via Website

Following 3 weeks of no responce from HTC I picked up the phone out of flustration and made several calls to HTC. Finally, I am informed for the Exchange Active Sync to be able to save the setting in ICS a valid Exchange certificate must be installed on the phone. I will test this and comment when done, however if anyone does try this or has tried this please let me know before I abanden HTC for good.

Mark Ferguson

May 9, 2012, 10:52:10 PM via App

Tom

Just an update today. I created a new user account today on our corporate exchange 2003 server and then set that account up on my phone. And hey presto no problems. Switch back to my normal account and back to square one and problems still there. So this is something you do with ActiveSync and
exchange 2003 accounts after upgrade to ICS.

I am now getting weekly calls from HTC to try resolve and I am determined to sort this out.

Keep the faith mate. We are nearly there.

Mark Ferguson

May 11, 2012, 9:48:46 PM via App

I have had it with HTC. Every since this update to ICS nothing but problems. Email still not working as I want and now "Transient error" with mms messages. I give up!! Loved it now hate it. It's a paperweight.

Samsung Galaxy 3 ordered.

Mark Ferguson

May 13, 2012, 3:43:33 PM via App

Tom

How did you get on with the certificate?

Tom B.

May 16, 2012, 11:56:56 PM via Website

Mark
I obtained a copy of the Exchange 2003 certificate and quess what, it worked...see below for my actions.

1) Copied the cert to my PC
2) Linked the phone to the PC using the supplied cable
3) Copied the cert to the "Download" directory on the phone
4) From Setting a) Security, b) Install from SD card
5) Removed Exchange account from the phone and reinstalled

Seems to be working OK at the moment, with all mail and attachements downloaded and stored, will check again tomorrow to confirm status.

UPDATE:
NOT WORKING ALL BACK TO DEFAUTS..............................Reported back to HTC again as this now becoming a real big headache for my company.

— modified on May 17, 2012, 2:55:28 PM

Mark Ferguson

May 20, 2012, 11:53:39 PM via Website

Update

Well some progrgress at least!

I have managed to get my FULL email including "Sent Items" working via IMAP rather that exchange. So I have solved one of my two original problems in a round about way. IMAP does not support Calendar so I have set up a seperate EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) account account ONLY to sync Calender.

The issue of EAS settings resetting to defaults only happened if I attempted to sync "sent Items" so as I am now using IMAP for email syncing of course the EAS settings are now unaffected.

And stranger still I now do not think the original issues are directly related to HTC Android as I have now tried my original EAS account using an IPhone, a HTC Desire S, a HTC Sensation XE (running Gingerbread) and a Galaxy II and they all demonstrated the original symptons ie sync error and unable to see emails in "Sent Items". I swear to god sent emails were visable and settings changes stayed set on Sensation XE prior to upgrade to ICS so unless I am going bonkers or somehow ICS changes a setting on the Exchange 2003 sever the problem now appears to be firmly related to EAS on the Exchange 2003 server. The issues were not just related to me within my company so its a complete mystery still but for now we have a workable solution in the form of IMAP for email and EAS for Calendar.

Mark Ferguson

May 20, 2012, 11:59:04 PM via Website

Tom

Just another note on certificates. Certificate is only needed on phone if you are using SSL at server side and use self signed certificates. Spoke to a very bright HTC guy in their Bourmouth call centre and he put me straight on this.

If you like me do NOT use SSL there is no need for certificates.

So as far as using certificates to maintain seetings I am afraid that is a very big red hearing.

Tom B.

Jun 2, 2012, 12:25:11 AM via Website

Received a phone call from HTC development today 01 June, they have confirmed the Exchange Active Sync issue, and will be releasing an OTA update in the near future. I along with many others await in anticipation.
Tom

Eric McBride

Jun 5, 2012, 5:14:02 PM via Website

Tom Bullock
Received a phone call from HTC development today 01 June, they have confirmed the Exchange Active Sync issue, and will be releasing an OTA update in the near future. I along with many others await in anticipation.
Tom

Nice to know they have acknowledged the issue. Let us know when you see the update!

Tom B.

Jul 6, 2012, 1:08:06 PM via Website

Good news "maybe" received an HTC OTA update today 6 July UK time. Now up to Android Version 4.03, and so far 2 hours in to the update all the Exchange messages are still available on the phone, and the phone has NOT reverted back to the Exchange active sync default settings. Any change as the day progresses I will post here :)
14 hours and still looking good, I do believe HTC have resolved this particular active sync problem.:lol:

— modified on Jul 6, 2012, 11:34:28 PM

Mark Ferguson

Jul 9, 2012, 1:08:28 AM via App

Got my update to 4.03 hour ago. installed and still unable to view "Sent Items".

Mark Ferguson

Jul 9, 2012, 7:50:41 PM via App

36 hours in and settings all holding. progress at least!

I still have this inability to view "Sent Items" but think that is now down to Exchange 2003 being changed somehow by original ICS update. so resigned to having to delete my Exchange 2003 account and setting up again.

Unless any other suggestions?