Screen Doesn't Turn On Randomly

• Replies:13
Lemar Williams
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 22, 2011, 6:23:49 PM via Website

I don't if anyone else has had this problem but my Xperia Play is doing really weird stuff. For some reason, the phone's screen just refuses to turn on from time to time.

every once in a while the phone just goes dark while the phone is on. it responds to calls and everything, but the screen just won't turn off. the only way to solve the problem is pull the battery out and back in again. then it works fine.

anybody else in the same boat?

Aaron Android
  • Forum posts: 36

Aug 22, 2011, 6:26:08 PM via Website

Never heard of anyone having the same problem.

Lilly Righteous
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 22, 2011, 6:27:43 PM via Website

the only time my xperia play did something like that was when the alarm turned on and the screen went black, but it just happened once and never occured again.

Peter Long
  • Forum posts: 74

Aug 22, 2011, 6:29:58 PM via Website

This is a very strange issue. The Sony Xperia Play has gotten rave reviews from everyone I know and absolutely no negative feedback. It's an awesome phone and no one can deny it.

John Fiscell
  • Forum posts: 25

Aug 22, 2011, 6:36:55 PM via Website

Yeah, this is the first time I have ever heard of this problem. Weird.

Jean M.
  • Forum posts: 38

Aug 22, 2011, 6:37:53 PM via Website

I don't think it's a hardware issue. It might be one of your apps screwing with your phone. Double check what apps are running in the background and if any of them have permission to tweak your screen.

Don Davis
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 3:18:10 PM via Website

mine does the same thing,take out battery,reinstall,works fine until it does it again

— modified on Nov 6, 2011, 3:18:34 PM

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Nov 7, 2011, 12:33:32 PM via Website

Really taking the batter out helps turn the screen on the xperia play? I've had the same issue but I thought it was because the screen is a little over sensitve. Anytime I've had the problem that the screen wouldn't turn on I just cleaned the screen and tried it again. Normally it was because there was some gunk on the screen that was also sending a single and confusing the handset. At least that's what I thought the issue was. In any case just giving in the screen a basic wipe down always worked for me.

Drew Goff
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 21, 2012, 6:08:14 AM via Website

I'm having a problem like that my play will rarely go out of sleep mode and when it dose even if i slightly move the slider the screen will go black pulling out the battery will do nothing anymore. Should i send it to Sony Ericcson to be fixed?

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Mar 21, 2012, 11:05:13 AM via Website

When screens fail to turn on, I think it's appropriate to bring it into a store. Do you have any sort of warranty?

Drew Goff
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 22, 2012, 1:24:59 AM via Website

unfortunately the warranty expired

K K

Jun 9, 2012, 1:35:24 PM via Website

Hello, I just got the Xperia Play about 4 months ago and I just had a similar problem to one that you described.This was one of the first Google results so it doesn't seem to be too much of a common thing; can I ask if you or anyone still have this problem? (if you're still on this Forum =/)

My problem is that the screen wouldn't come on: but it is on.. I'll explain.

I picked it up, pressed the power button to bring up the screen as I usually do (easier to reach that the other front buttons); it briefly brings up the screen and then fades to almost pure grey. I look carefully and can see the outlines of the icons that the screen was on; so the screen was on but at an extreme Dimness level. I double check by pressing the power button on and off and notice that there is a "change"; to confirm that the screen is indeed on. I flipped it to it's side, it didn't work the first time. But after a few tries the screen was restored. I turned it on and off again and it seems to be fine for now.

Is it just me?

Gabriel Lucas

Oct 21, 2013, 3:38:49 PM via Website

I'm with the same problem, the screen is off but the phone is on. I can feel the phone vibe when use the touch screen.
I've tryied everythin, restore, install other mods, some times it turns on again but in few minutes the problem is back.

Carl Bernardo

Jul 31, 2014, 3:24:45 PM via Website

hello sir i have the same problem but mine wont change. any suggestions? thank you and Godbless :)