Mac and Samsung Galaxy S2

• Replies:50
Sam-Droid
  • Forum posts: 42

Aug 19, 2011, 11:26:44 AM via Website

Hi,

I have a Galaxy S2 and was going to buy an iPhone 4, but decided to go with Android. However, I have a mac and can't figure out how the 1G"&80nx to get my contacts and music transported. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 11:54:50 AM by moderator

Jan Waldman
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 11:30:26 AM via Website

Kies air will work if you have WiFi.

It is an app you can run on your phone which allows you to access nearly everything on your phone from your browser. You can also use Google contacts which will sync automatically.

DroidLover
  • Forum posts: 49

Aug 19, 2011, 11:32:23 AM via Website

iCal/contacts syncs directly. You just need a Google account, then under prefs in those apps you can sync to Google.

Music and media can be synced by connecting your phone, mounting it as a USB drive and copying mp3 files over to it.

If you wanna regularly sync music with iTunes, try TuneSync or Doubletwist.

Bob Hart
  • Forum posts: 51

Aug 19, 2011, 11:34:59 AM via Website

You can download photos and videos over Kies Air using Firefox.

Marvin Cleaver
  • Forum posts: 150

Aug 19, 2011, 11:36:20 AM via Website

No luck with Music!:angry:

When I plug the Galaxy S2 in my computer, nothing shows up in my drawer>!!!

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 11:55:51 AM by moderator

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 19, 2011, 11:38:20 AM via Website

@Marvin...make sure your USB settings are working the way you want them to. Go to "USB Connection Type," then go to the menu, and click "Disk Drive" under the menu options.

Neil

Aug 30, 2011, 5:00:53 PM via Website

Steps for transferring pictures and videos to your mac from your Samsung Galaxy S2 -

1. Open settings

2. Click on ' Wireless and Network '

3. Now click on ' USB utilities'

4. Click on ' Connect storage to PC '

After performing these steps, a window pops up asking you to connect USB cable to use mass storage.

DO NOT CLICK ON CANCEL.

5. Connect the transfer cable to mac.

The screen should now show ' USB connected'

6. Click on the ' connect USB storage ' button at the bottom of the screen.

A folder called ' NO NAME ' should show up on your desktop.

7. Open folder called ' NO NAME ' on desktop.

8. Open ' DCIM '

9. Open ' Camera '

You can copy the photos and videos from here or import them to iPhoto.

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 11:56:14 AM by moderator

Maria TorresCassandra Douglas-HillsheelGAA

Louisa Woodcock

Mar 16, 2012, 6:58:44 PM via Website

Hello,

Im having the same problem that I plug in the Galaxy to my MacBook and nothing happens.

I might be being really stupid but I cant find settings then wireless and network in the "System Preferences" in my Macbook. Do you mind explaining how I find it so that I can update my USB settings?

Thank you!

Louisa

Nic

Mar 17, 2012, 8:42:43 PM via Website

Thank you very much for your help. I just had exactly the same problem. That's 9 steps compared to zero steps on an iPhone with iCloud or one step without iCloud. But I think I'll get used to it... :wacko:

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 19, 2012, 11:40:51 AM via Website

You will and it's not a big deal once you know the system. But it also makes sence: Apple makes the iPhone so of course it will sync better with their devices.

Positive Erica

Mar 28, 2012, 3:18:56 AM via Website

Thanks so much for sorting my little problem out. I'm new to smartphones and found your addvice spot on. Thnx again! :lol::lol:

sanam..b

Apr 10, 2012, 12:44:37 AM via Website

Hi, I am having the same problem with my Galaxy S2 too.
Basically, even after connecting it to my mac with the USB cable, it doesn't show up on my laptop :(
I even went to USB utilities and clicked "Connect storage to PC" and all it says is "USB is connected. Remove the cable."
What on earth do I do? I need to transfer things to my computer badly!!
Any help will be appreciated!
P.S. I tried using Klies air and it connects to my mac through wifi but it doesn't let me transfer anything because it says that my mac has its own Java and that it needs to be updated in order to transfer "multiple files" - my mac isn't coming up with any Java updates :S :S
I am beginning to doubt this beautiful phone...please help asap!! :( :(

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Apr 10, 2012, 11:03:00 AM via Website

Have you tried these steps yet?

-Enable usb debugging from Menu > Settings > Applications
-return to home screen
-plug usb cable in
-pull down status bar
-press ‘ connect usb storage’ button

Adeline Ooi

lerwa

Apr 15, 2012, 5:53:26 PM via Website

to use Mac with samsung galaxy s2, first go to galaxy s2 settings- wireless and network- select usb utilities select Connect storage to PC
then connect usb cable linked to macbook via usb, menu will come on as USB connected, then tap on connect USB storage- Menu will turn Orange with USB storage in use, go to Finder in mac, under device et voila if you have an SD card there will be 2 device - open them and see all the files and folders that are on them... good luck.

Maria TorresDawn P

Jeinine U.

Apr 16, 2012, 12:24:29 AM via Website

@Neil Thank you sooo much!
Super helpful & worked instantly!

sheel

Apr 19, 2012, 11:01:30 PM via Website

that was very helpful. thanx much for the tips. i had been struggling with this download from my android phn to my mac for couple of days now,, finally i did it :)

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Apr 20, 2012, 8:20:38 AM via Website

We've got some great members (admins- Mods) sorting out all kinds of problems. Good one Steve and Aaron !

Michelle Anderson

May 13, 2012, 12:28:20 PM via Website

Ive done everything and nothing is working. My phone wont seem to connect to my computer. PLease help. This has been going on for months. I even brought a new USB cable today thinking maybe that was the problem.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 14, 2012, 4:54:19 PM via Website

Michelle Anderson
Ive done everything and nothing is working. My phone wont seem to connect to my computer. PLease help. This has been going on for months. I even brought a new USB cable today thinking maybe that was the problem.

Are you trying to connect to a Mac or PC?

Julie F

May 29, 2012, 6:02:18 AM via Website

lerwa
to use Mac with samsung galaxy s2, first go to galaxy s2 settings- wireless and network- select usb utilities select Connect storage to PC
then connect usb cable linked to macbook via usb, menu will come on as USB connected, then tap on connect USB storage- Menu will turn Orange with USB storage in use, go to Finder in mac, under device et voila if you have an SD card there will be 2 device - open them and see all the files and folders that are on them... good luck.

I'm with you as far as "Menu will turn Orange", but I see nothing orange.

I'm very frustrated. I can't get pictures onto my Mac.

Eric McBride

Jun 6, 2012, 1:38:29 PM via Website

Weird. I never had a problem moving files from my phone to my Mac, although with my tablet it was impossible.

Maybe using Google Drive or Dropbox is a temporary solution?

You can also give this a shot:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1587901

— modified on Jun 6, 2012, 1:39:05 PM

DaBartonator
  • Forum posts: 21

Jun 8, 2012, 8:57:27 PM via App

Im happy you didn't buy and iphone but disappointed u have a mac

Charlotte Kerr

Jun 27, 2012, 12:41:56 PM via Website

THANKYOUUUU!!!! It took me forever to find that, your explanation was perfect!! :)
xxx

Kris Kragh

Jul 23, 2012, 9:40:25 AM via Website

Thanks this helped me a lot!

Jimmy Darling

Aug 3, 2012, 4:34:20 PM via Website

Why can't I open Odin on a Mac. I am not a computer genius but I can follow simple directions and I have done that but once I get to the part to open Odin so I can root nothing happens. HELP!

Dawn P

Eric McBride

Aug 15, 2012, 4:41:31 PM via Website

Jimmy Darling
Why can't I open Odin on a Mac. I am not a computer genius but I can follow simple directions and I have done that but once I get to the part to open Odin so I can root nothing happens. HELP!

You have to be more careful with things like that. You need to use different tools for a MAC. Check here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1648937

tionne sulliva.

Aug 27, 2012, 2:13:34 AM via Website

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I love it until today. I recorded a video with my phone yesterday. I uploaded it to my Mac computer so i can edit with Final Cut Pro 10. The video files uploaded in a mp4 format but the Mac nor Final Cut will recognize and play the video. PLEASE HELP its driving me nuts !

Cassandra Douglas-Hill

Nov 8, 2012, 6:35:10 AM via Website

I found the above steps very helpful. you may need to disconnect your usb and reconnect when your phone says to do so.

Thomas Zimmermann

Nov 8, 2012, 12:05:04 PM via Website

Neil - THANK YOU for the step-by step instruction, I don't know why people leave obscure three-word answers like 'You need Kies' or 'It's under USB connections' when this question arises. I've spent the last hour trying to work this out and now I finally know. Thanks again!!

Najla Sahyoun
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 9, 2012, 11:42:43 PM via Website

Hi Steve,
Thanks for suggesting the debugging as well in order to get to the step ¨no name¨ file appearing on my desktop. Thanks a bunch for your help. I was getting desperate!

— modified on Nov 9, 2012, 11:57:11 PM

Najla Sahyoun

Nov 9, 2012, 11:55:42 PM via Website

THANK YOU NEIL,

I HAD LOST MY SLEEP FOR DAYS ON END TRYING TO FIGURE HOW TO DOWNLOAD MY PHOTOS FROM MY SAMSUNG S2 TO MY MACBOOK. HAVE TRIED MANY TRICKS SUGGESTED ON INTERNET. NONE WORKED. YOUR STEPS WERE EASY AND CLEAR TO FOLLOW. BUT THEN I HAD TO TO THE DEBUG THING WHICH I FOUND ON ANOTHER FOLLOW UP ANSWER.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR CONTRIBUTION.

MixxyMess

Nov 21, 2012, 9:36:58 PM via Website

this download is all u need :) it actually says in settings too on ur phone!
www.android.com/filetransfer/

Jon Kemp

Dec 11, 2012, 12:56:51 PM via Website

Steven, not exactly sure how the whole debugging thing works - barring the obvious terminology... but it really did work! thanks.

In my case and for some reason, all the debugging seemed to do is not allow me to even connect the phone, to say, iPhoto. But then when I went and repeated the 9 steps, as if by magic, my phone which has been a pain in the arse for several months came back to life.

To explain the problem I had for anyone reading this:

I'd been using the 9 steps methodology from day 1 and never had an issue for a year. Then suddenly out of the blue when I connected in the normal manner I was able to get to stage 9; all of the .jpg files appeared but the additional visual image to assist with my selection process didn't; finally when I selected any photos and attempted to transfer across nothing happened! It gave some technical jargon about unreadable files or something and then automatically shut down.

All I can say is this debugging thing worked for me and I am truly grateful

hendryv

Dec 19, 2012, 3:05:38 PM via Website

Neil
Steps for transferring pictures and videos to your mac from your] -

1. Open settings

After performing these steps, a window pops up asking you to connect USB cable to use mass storage.

DO NOT CLICK ON CANCEL.

8. Open ' DCIM '

9. Open ' Camera '

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!:-)

Dawn P

Maiofsky

Dec 26, 2012, 4:27:17 PM via Website

Boy are you in for a treat...So i am such as yourself a swapper from iphone 3g, the S2 i a beast in terms of speed costumizing acessiblity, but it really sucks on syncing music im on a macbook pro by the way, i have figured out how to correct the color via screen adjuster but music has been an uphill battle,

ive tried doubletwist which as a player is really good, but when you sync it the mac software gets buggy and eventually stops syncing
ive treied kies which if you have patience to move albums one by one and when they turn up the album is split into 2 folders.
isyncr only does 20 a bunch unless you buy th software,

i was seeking answers now for how to acess my root foolder to add it as usb on a macbook, if anyone could help me out with this i would be really grateful.

i just need to sync my itunes music playlist it shouldnt be that hard (or so i thought).

Dawn P

Jan 4, 2013, 3:41:44 PM via Website

Eric; as 4 Michelle Anderson's post, title of this forum thread would suggest that it's Mac.
Neil; TY 4 ur step-by-step :grin:

— modified on Jan 4, 2013, 11:28:55 PM

Al Chi

Jan 26, 2013, 4:21:47 AM via Website

This worked perfectly for me, thanks.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access deleted files?

I deleted some pictures which I erroneously thought had synched with Google+, so was hoping there would be a way to navigate to a Trash folder or something to find those as well.

Any advice here (that doesn't cost a lot of money) would be greatly appreciated!

Neil
Steps for transferring pictures and videos to your mac from your Samsung Galaxy S2 -

1. Open settings

DO NOT CLICK ON CANCEL.

8. Open ' DCIM '

9. Open ' Camera '

Jay Kay

Jan 29, 2013, 3:41:32 AM via Website

Hi,
I need further help. I have the Galaxy S II. I do not see the USB option when I go to settings - wireless and network. My wireless and network show: Wi_fi, 4g, bluetooth, data and the second page shows Airplane mode, Kies via wi-fi (which I do not have in the area where my computer is located...it used an ethernet connection, VPN, Tethering, Wi-Fi direct, mobile networks and lastly Roaming. But no USB. Help! Where am I going wrong?

Sally P.

Feb 3, 2013, 2:55:23 AM via Website

OK...what am I doing wrong??
I've read all the instructions about downloading photos from my Samsung Galaxy SII epic to my Mac (iPhoto.)
My problem is that when I go to "settings" on my phone, the"wireless and network" settings come up and I do not have an option for "USB utilities." My options under "wireless and network" are:
wi-fi, 4G settings,, bluetooth, data usage, airplane mode, kies via wi-fi, vpn, tethering, wi-fi direct, mobile networks and roaming.
I'll really appreciate any help you can give me!
And please keep in mind that I'm a beginner with all this. :P

Sandy S

Apr 24, 2013, 1:32:46 AM via Website

I found the solution, and it worked for me! Since I cannot post a link to an external site here, I'll just tell you to go to the android.com site and add "/filetransfer" at the end of the URL. This site is specific to mac users, since you wouldn't need special software for this task if you had Windows.

This will allow you to download software from android.com to transfer your photos and anything else you need transferred. After I downloaded the software to my mac, I connected my phone to my mac via a USB cable, and I could see my phone's hard drive in my Finder window. Then I just dragged and dropped my files from my phone to my mac. Note: My photos were NOT in the 'photos' or 'pictures' folder. They were under the DCIM folder.

I'm no longer frustrated! I hope this information helps others.

— modified on Apr 24, 2013, 1:37:15 AM

Perry Phillips

May 7, 2013, 4:26:13 PM via Website

I had to get a better quality cord. Yes, it is essential to have the android file transfer program installed on the Mac. ,
I have model SPH-D710, Kernel versiion 3.0.15-1173404. Build IMM761.FL24. Hardware D710.10

Debugging mode can actually be turned on or off--does not matter! Neither does it matter whether it is MTP or PTP mode for file transfer.

WHAT MATTERS: The cord that comes to recharge the phone is CRAP and cannot be used to do file transfer!!!

YOU MUST GO BUY A QUALITY SUPER MINI USB CORD TO TRANSER FILES FROM PHONE TO MAC.

Go figure. You would never figure that out without tech support.

Tom jones

May 12, 2013, 6:58:13 PM via Website

Its worth noting that some usb cables are not set up for data transfer, i.e travel usb's

I spent hours trying to do this and it didn't work, then tried an old HTC lead worked a charm :-)

k t

May 17, 2013, 4:03:20 AM via Website

1. Download the free "Android File Transfer" software.
2. When you plug in your phone via USB, you see a USB symbol in the top left menu bar of your phone. Drag it down and click it for more "USB PC connection" options.
3. Check "Camera (PTP)", unplug and replug the USB cable twice (don't ask me why, but it works on my setup).
4. Then the Android File Transfer (AFT) program will show you the contents of your phone in the same folder style as Mac's "finder", even though my phone still doesn't show up in the actual Finder program. You can now drag files back and forth between AFT and finder.

Good luck... you'll need it with this stupid, round-about method.

Roland Constantineau

Jun 7, 2013, 1:35:15 AM via Website

Make sure that you use the cable that came with the phone and/or tablet. Some of the generic/3rd party cables only allow charging, and that is it. I myself had the same issue, yet when I used the cable that was supplied with the phone, the USB transfer dialog box came up, and everything worked. With the 3rd party cable, it looked like it was trying to connect, but couldn't.

MacBook Pro and Samsung Galaxy S2

Rick Wood

Aug 30, 2013, 1:56:13 AM via Website

Hi Guys

I am very impressed with the support and information given here regarding this issue.

Alas none of the suggestions here work for me - I have an iMac that I am trying to connect my S2 to in order that I may transfer all of my music from the mac to the phone.

No matter what I do, 9 steps, debugging, iTuneWalkman...nothing works as I my mac simply WILL NOT see my phone.

The only thing I have not tried is using the original cable that came with the phone (not sure if I can find it now), I am however using the mini USB cable from a Blackberry phone (not saying it should work).

Could ther possibly be any further advice that can be provided to help me?

Many Thanks.

Adeline Ooi

Jul 5, 2014, 5:08:42 PM via Website

Thanks so much Steve, after searching for half an hour, finally your solution is the best! Cheers.

arivllegend

Dec 2, 2015, 7:47:51 AM via Website

You can download the free app Android File Transfer on Mac. Then, as you connect Android phone to Mac, the app will automatically launch. And you can see all the Android files in the pop-up window. You can directly drag and drop them from Android to Mac.
www.recovery-android.com/fail-to-connect-android-mac.html

TRACYHAWK
  • Forum posts: 21

May 6, 2016, 5:40:57 AM via Website

If you want to move data from Samsung galaxy s2 to your Mac, like music, you can try to use Android Manage to do this transferring. To get this thing, you can search on Google and I have got this on AndroidRecovery, so you can have a try.

Olivia Black
  • Forum posts: 15

Jun 21, 2016, 9:52:18 AM via Website

You can try Mobile Transfer. It has a Mac version. Transporting contacts and music from Samsung to iPhone is rather simple with it. Plus, there is no need for all those complicated steps.

— modified on Jun 21, 2016, 9:56:58 AM

susangreen
  • Forum posts: 16

Nov 14, 2018, 3:08:25 AM via Website

Now there are a lot of tools for transfer photos from Samsung to Mac, such as Phone Manager, Android Data Backup & Restore, Android File Transfer. You can analyze which is your best choice from the comparison table. I have used the first software and I think it is very convenient and fast.
I only need three steps to solve the problem of transferring pictures and videos across systems.
The first step is to connect my Samsung phone to my Mac.
The second step is to select what I want to transfer. Please note that this is optional.
The third step is to click Transfer to complete.
I hope that you can resolve this issue after completing these steps.

— modified on Nov 21, 2018, 4:54:26 AM