Storage Options Scroll 7" Android 2.1 Tablet

• Replies:15
Chris Gidden
  • Forum posts: 9

Jan 12, 2011, 12:06:35 PM via Website

I have purchased a new Storage Options Sroll tablet from eBuyer and it comes with Android 2.1 installed.

While i have not had a chance to put it to much use my first impressions are very good, the touch screen (given that it is resistive type) is excellent and the picture quality is superb.

The device also has GPS which was a surprise as all that was listed in the specs was "Google Maps" :)

There is also Andorid Market installed on the tablet and it works - there was some doubt about this because of the licensing issues with the Market and Tablets. But it is there and it works, although i have only downloaded Free Apps from there so far.

The processor speed and memory seem to be up to the job too, it loads the OS quickly and has not struggled with any of the Apps so far... Can anyone recomend a benchmark app for testing performance?

Here is a couple of piccys:

I think it is very good for the price ~£135 and a good introduction to the world of tablets without having to break the bank.

Chris.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jan 12, 2011, 3:06:30 PM via Website

I can tell you some benchmark programs to try, but I want to tell you know that these benchmarks don't necessarily portray real-life performance levels. Some programmers can build ROMs and other things to make the benchmark programs run faster. Basically, take these benchmarks with a grain of salt.

Quadrant
NeoCore
Linpack

all benchmark apps you can try on your device hopefully.

Chris Gidden

Jan 12, 2011, 3:24:22 PM via Website

Ok ill have a look at those.

But what about a "real world" application that you would use day to day... like a particular game or navigation app? That would give a better idea as to the limits of the hardware wouldnt it?

Might sound a stupid question but as i am not familiar with Android and whats available i thought it best to ask.

Douglas Carter

Jan 12, 2011, 3:49:49 PM via Website

That's kind of hard to say. you could download a PSX or other emulator and try to stress your device that way. Or you could DL and install a racing game. The thing is, most racing games are expensive and you may not have enough time to try and return them in the 15 minute window that Google gives app buyers.

Give Angry Birds a try and let me know how it runs.

— modified on Jan 12, 2011, 3:50:20 PM

Chris Gidden

Jan 12, 2011, 4:55:47 PM via Website

I tried both of the Angry Birds games last night (regular and seaons) - free versions and while they run fine there is a known issue with the graphics on them. When you're in the level's its fine but in the menus some of the images just display as white blocks and im not really sure why.

Seasons has less issues with the graphics in menu's though so it might be something in the code of the game that it doesnt like,

The game itself runs perfectly though, no juddering or slowness etc. Runs better than on my iPhone tbh lol.

— modified on Jan 12, 2011, 4:56:28 PM

michael booth
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 8:26:46 PM via Website

Hi pal I'm new to this site but basically I have the same tablet as you I just got the keyboard and leather caes its on the maplins website for 30 pounds and its a steal. Have a look also if you want a good app google beebplayer its ace if you want to catch up on some telly plus arc media from market for all your avi downloads

Glostermeteor

Jan 16, 2011, 5:54:49 PM via App

Go to http://scrolltabletforum.co.uk/ its a great forum for tips and discussion for the scroll. It also has instructions how to back up and then root it which I recommend for full access to the android market.

Chris Gidden

Jan 18, 2011, 12:43:04 PM via Website

Some good info knocking around on these, especially on that other forum which is specific for the tablet.

Had it a week now and am getting on really well - having issues with the android market sometimes though. It starts to download and i get the download icon on the top status bar, it says "downloading" and then changes to "download unsuccessful".

Not really sure why this is happening - am going to email the support i think.

Douglas Carter

Jan 18, 2011, 3:29:40 PM via Website

This is an intermittent problem problem with some Android devices. If you do a google search with something like "Android Market download unsuccessful" I'm sure you'll find hundreds of threads mentioning the same problem you are talking about. :unsure:

— modified on Jan 18, 2011, 3:30:16 PM

Brian Carr
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 22, 2011, 10:08:36 AM via Website

had my scroll for a few days now and very happy it has lots to offer i can run a usb hub on it and use a mouse external keyboard etc and it copes well B) the start up is slow but you can find good apps to help here it syncs fine with the pc and transferring files is a breeze, the sound is a bit quite so i use a set of self powered mini external speakers that sound great, the processor copes with most apps you throw at it, great for portability, i bought the case with the keyboard which in fact is very good and protects the scroll well.

the battery life is great as long as you discharge it fully and recharge it at least three times (as in all these types of battery's) the touch screen is great after a few plays with the calibration on it i got it just right for me, using a stylus helps here the supplied one is average worth buying a decent stylus as the screen reacts better. the external storage is nice and large at 32GB more than enough. all in all my few days of use have been fine with no problems much better to carry this around to work than a laptop/netbook, the wireless hotspots are all around me where i travel so i am lucky even on the bus! wireless works well and connects fine.

so its thumbs up for me well worth the money better than a lot of tablets for the same price there are good deals on these scrolls at the moment if you shop around much rather use this than struggle on a little phone with android 5*****.

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jan 22, 2011, 12:22:31 PM via Website

Chris Gidden
I tried both of the Angry Birds games last night (regular and seaons) - free versions and while they run fine there is a known issue with the graphics on them. When you're in the level's its fine but in the menus some of the images just display as white blocks and im not really sure why.

Seasons has less issues with the graphics in menu's though so it might be something in the code of the game that it doesnt like,

The game itself runs perfectly though, no juddering or slowness etc. Runs better than on my iPhone tbh lol.

As far as Angry Birds is concerned, the white blocks seem to be a common issue for people playing the game on devices running Android 2.1. I think that's the root of the problem here.

Dave Harrison

Feb 3, 2011, 10:34:28 PM via App

I am unable to see the gps on my device,any suggestions?

Douglas Carter

Feb 4, 2011, 1:10:46 PM via Website

Dave Harrison
I am unable to see the gps on my device,any suggestions?

go to a home screen with at least one row of free space and long press to receive a "Add to home screen" menu. Click on Widgets and choose Power Control. From there, you should be able to turn GPS on and off. This can also be done through Settings / Location and Security / Use GPS Satellites. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Umer

May 28, 2011, 1:17:16 AM via Website

hey, i have same Storage options scroll 7ne" . Anyone knows how to run youtube on this device, i installed the app but still not workig :(

Allan hODGKINSON

Jun 10, 2011, 6:02:02 PM via Website

Hi

I am ew to all this tech but I hae a new Scroll too , le the last Post I cant get You tue Videos to play ,, think I need to down load Flash Player but where from that will work with Scrol 2.1 System ?

Alla H