Mediaserver

• Replies:9
Christian Nasca
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 9, 2010, 10:06:51 PM via Website

Since a few days I have noticed that there is a process called "Mediaserver" running in the background and draining a lot of energy from the battery. I can't identify this process, I can't locate where it is coming from, I can't stop it, but its power consumption is about 45%, which means that my battery life is cut to half.

Can anyone help me understand what "Mediaserver" is doing and how it can be stopped?

Please excuse my ignorance, if this is a stupid question.

Jrod W
  • Forum posts: 43

Sep 10, 2010, 4:15:30 AM via App

where did you see this process? were you using an app like Linda file manager?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Sep 10, 2010, 1:29:07 PM via Website

Based on what I just read, Mediaserver is basically most processes that involve playback of music, videos, and sometimes apps accessing data over the network. What have you been doing on your phone a lot recently?

Christian Nasca

Sep 10, 2010, 2:29:23 PM via Website

I have installed quite a few apps over the past few days, but the most suspicious one is dailyme. It downloads video clips of TV shows so hat you can watch them offline when you want to.

However, what puzzles me, is that Mediaservr remains active and consumes energy even when I turn off the automatic download function (downloads video clips in the background), and even when I kill dailyme by forced stop. Mediaserver remains always active and consumes more energy than the display.

Isn't this strange?

Other apps I have installed since the problem appeared are: a compass, a GPS speedmeter, and two games, labyrinth lite and Angry Birds.

Any clue?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Sep 13, 2010, 11:08:15 AM via Website

I would check the task killer and see if your music/video player is still running in the background. Power off your phone while it is not charging, and power it back on while it is not charging. Kill all the apps as soon as it turns on, and then use the phone for a bit (but don't use any pictures/video/music applications). Leave it alone for about 30 minutes, and then check the battery consumption. Let me know what the numbers look like then.

Christian Nasca

Oct 2, 2010, 1:07:46 AM via Website

Sorry for my late reply. Power off and on while not charging did help. Strangely I have not had problems with Mediaserver since then, although I have been using all suspecious apps, i.e. video and music players.

Thanks to all.

Phil
  • Forum posts: 47

Oct 2, 2010, 3:41:10 PM via App

I haven't had this exact problem, but I've been trying alot of apps and have noticed various consequences from some of them.
My solution? Uninstall the app. If I miss it I reinstall it or don't because I've found the resource hog. I also keep everything I can on the SD card.
I don't like apps that demand startup with the phone. Some apps are a real thorn. I want an app to start when I select the icon, or adjust the settings to update/synch automatically. And that's it. If code is written to have an app run beyond these two options, it doesn't belong in my digital life.
Phil

— modified on Oct 2, 2010, 3:42:25 PM

tangyan
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 17, 2010, 3:52:29 AM via Website

[content edited/removed by moderator]

— modified on Nov 17, 2010, 11:38:54 AM by moderator

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Nov 17, 2010, 6:51:39 AM via Website

tangyan
[content edited/removed by moderator]

Is this some kind of subliminal mmorpg advertising?

— modified on Nov 17, 2010, 11:39:05 AM by moderator