ROM Upgrades on HTC Hero

• Replies:7
Mark C.
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 4:46:08 PM via Website

I am having a few issues with my HTC Hero. I am in the United Kingdom on the Orange network. I have Sync installed on my PC but it doesn't always connect to my device. I have installed it many times but nothing seems to be working. I have also downloaded the ROM upgrade RUU_hero_orange 2.73.61.5 but when I go to install it, it disconnects from Sync and then says it cannot find the device. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on as I have repeated the process many times, installing / un-installing and am at a bit of a dead end.......

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 10, 2010, 11:14:11 AM via Website

Your phone should be getting an update to Android 2.1 very soon if it hasn't already. Have you already received Android 2.1, or do you not know? When it does receive that update, try to sync again with your device. It may be that the software you have is for the Android 2.1 version, and that your phone that is running Android 1.5 won't connect with it.

Willem Schoeman

Aug 10, 2010, 2:43:02 PM via Website

— modified on Aug 10, 2010, 3:13:23 PM

Mike Romersa
  • Forum posts: 6

Dec 10, 2010, 1:12:07 PM via Website

I currently have an HTC Hero running Android 1.5. Is there an update available and how where do i get it ? Also is it something that can be done by a novice or do you need to be a wizz to upgrade ?

Douglas Carter

Dec 10, 2010, 1:55:26 PM via Website

The HTC Hero should have an update ready to be installed onto it. The best and cheapest way to install the update is over a Wi-Fi network.

Go into settings / about phone / system updates / and it will tell you whether an update is available for your phone. If it doesn't tell you that an update is available, then I'll help you figure out where to go from there.

Gustavo Bonato

Dec 14, 2010, 3:44:58 PM via Website

I've just bought a HTC Hero unlocked, no brand.

It came with Android 1.5 and I've been trying to update OTA to 2.1. I have tried everything which was suggested here, with no luck.

My settings:
- Firmware 1.5
- Baseband 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
- Build 2.73.421.5.146733 CL #61267 release keys
- Software 1.0.0.A6288

1) I have connected to a wireless network, with internet access.
2) I have set many different dates in the future, even to May 2011.
3) I have done a factory data reset.
4) I have tried to download 1.5 updated the firmware from the HTC website, but my serial number didn't match any (at least he ones available in the UK page)
5) I have tried to install a ROM from "Shipped ROMs"

Nothing worked! Do you have any idea what can I do? I've been considering install this ROM: [ROM][2.1 Sense] BeHero+ v1.2 FRESH! [29/04/10]

Douglas Carter

Dec 14, 2010, 7:38:46 PM via Website

Mike and Gustavo, what are your guys' carriers?

Take a look at this wiki page and go down into the "Updates" section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Hero

It looks like the fault is resting with your carrier on this one. A lot of carriers stop updates from going out to their handsets for some reason. I would suggest one of two things (or both):

1. Contact your carrier and asking them why your handset has not received the update it should have.

2. Root your device and install an Android 2.1 or 2.2 ROM onto it, that way you are in control of when you want to update your phone.

Mike Romersa
  • Forum posts: 6

Jun 8, 2011, 1:31:11 PM via Website

Hi Douglas,

I am still battling with this damn Firmware upgrade. in your last reply to me you suggested the following :

"Go into settings / about phone / system updates / and it will tell you whether an update is available for your phone" for update information. When i go into the about phone, 'system updates' is not even available. should i conclude then my service provider has blocked all updates. I am in South Africa and the service provider is MTN.

You also suggested the following :

2. Root your device and install an Android 2.1 or 2.2 ROM onto it, that way you are in control of when you want to update your phone.

i am really scared to root my device if there is a chance i can brick it. Is there a dummy guide to rooting these phones and what are the chances that i will end up bricking it :(

----

I am having another problem and this is why i want to desperately upgrade from v1.5. I no longer seem to be able to download anything from Appbrain or the Market. I keep getting 'Download Unsuccessful' messages .... this is getting really frustrating.

Do you have any idea what the issue could be or is v1.5 just no longer supported ????

---

— modified on Jun 8, 2011, 1:34:40 PM