Missing Android Market app

• Replies:4
Mattias Lundblad
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 31, 2010, 7:09:50 PM via Website

I recently purchased the X10 and I'm missing the Android Market app. According to SE's web site it should be there, anyone got any ideas why it would be missing and if it possible to get the APK installer?

/Mattias

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:25:38 PM by moderator

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Aug 2, 2010, 5:10:09 AM via Website

I believe that in certain regions google does not allow market to be used.
This is dependent on where the device is purchased.

Android Market was removed per requirements of Google in the individual Arabic regions such as UAE, Egypt, Oman and Saudi Arabia.

If you have a phone without this app it likely came from one of these regions.

There's an alternative app store I've used called SlideMe.. must download from http://SlideME.org/sam2.apk ..you can find the main website at http://slideme.org .. once installed.. it will show you all apps in market regardless of your phone's model. It will also tell you if the App is compatible with your phone as well. Make sure to in-able: "allow install of non-market applications" in "Settings" under "Applications". Note: it works a little different then the Android market (it doesn't auto-install after downloading).. click on an app to download.. then once downloaded.. slide down the top task-bar on your phone.. then click on downloaded app to choose to install.

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:26:35 PM by moderator

Mattias Lundblad

Aug 2, 2010, 11:13:36 AM via Website

Thanks!

That explains why it is missing. Didn't know that Google will not allow Android Market in certain regions. I'll give SlimeME a try.

/Mattias

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 2, 2010, 11:19:08 AM via Website

I heard that UAE and Saudi Arabia were also blocking Blackberry messaging and email apps because they couldn't conduct surveillance on them. I would hate to live there if I had an Android or Blackberry phone. Sorry to hear about your plight. Android without the Android Market is lame. I hate to say it, but you may want to reconsider you Android phone, unless the third party app databases will be good enough for you.

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:27:14 PM by moderator

Mattias Lundblad

Aug 2, 2010, 11:50:36 AM via Website

I know,

At least they will not do any blocking of IMAP and POP3 (which can still be secured with SSL or TLS) so in that way it is lucky to have an Android phone and not a Blackberry here at the moment!

I see that there are ways to update the firmware on the SE-X10 to some other Generic ones (Nordic and UK are two that I've seen) that should give me Android Market and still the ability to update the phone in the future using SE's Update Service.

/Mattias

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:27:27 PM by moderator