Playing music files from SD card

• Replies:9
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 8, 2010, 5:54:32 PM via Website

Alright, I have a question finally:

So I'm testing an Android 2.1 phone, and I decided that I wanted to put some audio files from my computer on there, and listen to them, since it has a 3.5mm audio jack. The radio works good, but choosing the music is soo much better. ANYWAYS:

I looked up where and how to add music files onto my microSD card, and I added about 20 songs. Unfortunately, I accidently unplugged it before I removed the device (stupid, right?) from the computer using the software. I plugged it back in, properly removed it, and started looking into the music player to find my files. Low and behold, there are over 2k plus 1-2 second audio files available to choose from. Of course there is no search function in the player from what I can gather, so scrolling is not an option (even though I tried).

So I did what any experienced IT trouble shooter does and Googled it. I found a possible solution, tried it. It didn't work. Tried it again, it still didn't work. I tried removing my music files from the card, and recopying back onto the phone. Still no luck. I'm at a stand-still because of my frustration. Anyone have any suggestions here?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 8, 2010, 6:45:26 PM via App

Couple of questions: #1 what phone are you using (because my HTC has Sense UI.. so the music player is different then my girlfriends Motorola Droid even though they both have 2.1)?

#2 did you "mount as disk drive" (on the phone) when connecting USB cable between the phone and computer?

The way I "add" music to either phone is as stated above..
I connect phone to computer via its USB cable, I "mount as disk drive", (Note: I don't use any special sync software), then I just copy all the mp3's into a folder (using my computer) on the phone's SD card (most of which are complete albums and audio books).

One thing I noticed in your post is that you said that, "you had 2k of music on your phone" that would't be enough to be one song (unless it's a typo). most mp3 files are 3-6 MB per song.

So if that is the case.. you need to delete anything you did put on the phone's SD card.. and then redo the copy and pasting of the songs you are trying to add.

One last question: what format is your music files in? mp3, wma, ogg, flac, mp4/m4a, amr, or other (because you will want to insure compatibility with your phone).

— modified on Jul 8, 2010, 7:37:45 PM

Douglas Carter

Jul 9, 2010, 10:06:00 AM via Website

I'd rather not mention the phone just yet, but it doesn't have Sense. I think it may be stock Android 2.1.

Yeah, I know how to transfer files onto my phone, I did it right every time but the first one cause I forgot one step. I mounted the drive each time. I added the files using the same method you described each time.

2k meant 2,000 music files on my phone, each of which is a second or two long, and are navigation directions. The files are for the navigation system, and have things like "turn left in 1/10th of a mile." The files are all .ogg format.

I don't want to delete those files, as the navigation system runs on it from what I can tell, and it isn't really my phone. I said in the first post that I retried copying and pasting the songs onto the SD card, but no luck.

aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 9, 2010, 4:53:06 PM via Website

How about replacing a new SD card..maybe its already corrupted because you unplugged it wrong

Douglas Carter

Jul 9, 2010, 4:59:32 PM via Website

That's worth checking out later tonight. Still searching for other ideas though. Also, has anyone else experienced the 2,000+ 1 second long songs in their music list like me? I know Fabien has, but I'm just curious if someone here has as well, and how they got around it.

nick levy
  • Forum posts: 29

Jul 9, 2010, 11:15:08 PM via App

doubletwist is the best app I found to get ur music from iTunes to ur phone...download the app from the market(its free) then Google it and download the app to ur computer...alil long but works great

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 11, 2010, 7:21:51 AM via Website

Before buying a new sd card, you might wanna try reformatting it. Make sure you get all files you wanna keep off of it first, then you can reformat it under SD and phone storage in settings. Be careful though, this will erase everything on it.

Tony Edward
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 7, 2018, 10:12:41 AM via Website

After reading the whole post, the more as I know is about iTunes music. If you have purchased or rented music from iTunes, you may have known there is no right for you to play these music no Apple unauthorized devices. All iTunes audios are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. DRM Audio Converter for Windows is the program for me to remove DRM from iTunes and convert audios from M4P to MP3, AAC, and multiple formats at faster speed with lossless quality. After conversion, it will be much convenient for you to play iTunes music on any devices. . Hope this tip is useful to you.

— modified on Mar 7, 2018, 10:14:15 AM