location problem with 2.1 update

• Replies:11
Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jun 14, 2010, 8:14:23 AM via App

Hi, I updated my Sprint HTC hero to the official 2.1 release a few weeks ago. Ever since then I get a notification saying Time not set. Clicking on it gives me a clock msg that says could not determine your location for the time zone. It then let's me search for a city to use for my location. I have set it to the closest city available, but still I get that notification every once in a while. I have location turned on in my settings also.

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 2:27:08 PM by moderator

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 14, 2010, 2:18:57 PM via Website

Have you heard of anyone else with this problem?
Does changing your locale do anything?
Have you tried using network provided values for the phone, or have you tried keeping them off?

Jeremiah

Jun 15, 2010, 6:25:50 AM via Website

When I set the phone to not update the time from the network, I don't get the notification anymore. But then I have to set the time myself. Not sure if changing locale does anything, I was getting the notification every 30mins to 2-3 hours before I turned off the network time update, and I didn't notice if physically going somewhere helped. I've searched for other people with this problem, I found lots of posts about the htc hero timezone and daylight savings problems and syncing with calendar problems. But couldn't find anything about my specific problem.

Jeremiah

Jun 16, 2010, 7:17:00 AM via Website

Have had it turned off for 2 days now, and the time is accurate within 1 min. So that may be the best solution. Other location things work, such as navigation and google maps.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jun 17, 2010, 6:41:59 AM via App

When I updated my HTC Eris to 2.1 I too had some weird stuff with location not working and the Google navigation not finding where I was etc. I turned off network location helping in settings, then turned off gps.. did a battery pull.. then turned gps back on.. then turned network helping back on and it has worked fine since then.

Jeremiah

Jun 17, 2010, 9:50:08 AM via Website

justJay
When I updated my HTC Eris to 2.1 I too had some weird stuff with location not working and the Google navigation not finding where I was etc. I turned off network location helping in settings, then turned off gps.. did a battery pull.. then turned gps back on.. then turned network helping back on and it has worked fine since then.

Jay, what do you mean by location helping? I don't think I have that on my phone. I have location on/off and use gps in settings.

justJay

Jun 18, 2010, 5:58:41 AM via App

Jeremiah McLeod
justJay

Jay, what do you mean by location helping? I don't think I have that on my phone. I have location on/off and use gps in settings.
*sorry for the "location helping" term.. I had the BB Storm and I think that was what it was called on that phone. I now have the HTC Eris (Verizon's version of the Hero) with android 2.1 OS.. in "settings".. then "location".. then "use wireless networks"(this is where the phone will use WiFi and or mobile network to determine your location either to help gps or in the absence of a gps signal). Uncheck this option to turn it off.

— modified on Jun 18, 2010, 6:05:59 AM

Jeremiah

Jun 18, 2010, 6:10:24 AM via Website

Jay, I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. I'm still getting the notification to "Set current Time". When I click on it it says unable to detect your current time zone. Tap below to select a city. I've selected a city multiple times, but it's like it doesn't remember or something, and repeatedly get the notification. It could be because there isn't any cities in the list within say 100 miles of my location, but I just select one in my time zone. I guess it may be reading my location and not finding a city then asking me to select it again. I guess I will just turn off automatic time updates for now.

justJay

Jun 18, 2010, 6:48:40 AM via App

Jeremiah McLeod
Jay, I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. I'm still getting the notification to "Set current Time". When I click on it it says unable to detect your current time zone. Tap below to select a city. I've selected a city multiple times, but it's like it doesn't remember or something, and repeatedly get the notification. It could be because there isn't any cities in the list within say 100 miles of my location, but I just select one in my time zone. I guess it may be reading my location and not finding a city then asking me to select it again. I guess I will just turn off automatic time updates for now.
Have you tried only using the wireless network and turning off gps? My old LG phone had navigation that worked that way (phone didn't have gps).

— modified on Sep 22, 2011, 2:28:31 PM by moderator

Jeremiah

Jun 19, 2010, 7:40:54 AM via Website

Yes, I tried what you suggested, turning off gps, take the battery out etc.

— modified on Jun 19, 2010, 7:41:08 AM