Switch from Galaxy S21 Ultra to Galaxy Z Flip 5

• Replies:9
  • Answered
Simone Costi
  • Forum posts: 5

Nov 28, 2023, 5:59:35 PM via Website

Hi everybody,
My dad needs to replace his Galaxy Note 10 and he would like to get my Galaxy S21 Ultra.
I 'm tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5, which has a 3,5" outer screen.
My question is: at circa 800€ plus the cost of a device insurance, should I buy it?
There are a few factors to consider, for me:

1. I should keep the inner screen closed when I 'd do some metal crafting work;
  2. I would use the inner screen a lot during my free time;
  3. I 'd need a reliable phone capable of smoothly playing music in my car, at my friends' homes, and even through the sound system at some events;
  4. I wouldn 't run any kind of video game on it and my photos only need to clearly show the content of equipment 's labels.
  5. I want it to be updated to the last version of Android for at least 4 years and I would keep it as long as possible;
    Thanks in advance,
    Simone
Best answer
Rubens Eishima
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 125

Dec 1, 2023, 1:53:52 PM via Website

Samsung used Snapdragons on all the S23 globally (with a TSMC-made chip) for the first time, I think.

They are rumored to go back to Exynos in 2024 with the s24, but it is not confirmed.

BTW, the Flip 5 also uses the same Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 found on the S23 models.

Helpful?
HelloBoySimone Costi
Rubens Eishima
  • Admin
  • Staff

Nov 29, 2023, 11:28:37 AM via Website

If you are happy with the S21 Ultra, I would consider going for the S23 Ultra, it performs admirably (and includes the S Pen).

I am still a bit skeptical about folding screens (even though it seems to survive some pretty hardcore tests), especially in your scenarios of keep using phones for a long time.
Besides the screen, battery life is a sacrifice to be made, compared to the S Ultras.

But for the points you raised, the Flip 5 seems perfectly capable (and compact, and big-screened).

Helpful?
Simone Costi
Simone Costi

Nov 29, 2023, 2:38:43 PM via Website

The battery life would still be a sacrifice to be made, as I 'm not going to buy another Samsung Galaxy S Ultra model.
Instead, I would switch to their standard or FE versions, even though I 'm afraid of not getting Qualcomm AptX lossless, while the Ultra version might get it, as it will have a Qualcomm CPU.
However, a Galaxy S21 Ultra doesn 't fit in my pocket, requiring me to carry it into a phone holster.
And that, considering that I 'm a young man which often goes to college parties with his friends, might be a problem.

Helpful?
Rubens Eishima
Rubens Eishima
  • Admin
  • Staff

Nov 29, 2023, 3:28:58 PM via Website

Ah, in that case, the flip matches the requirements.

The standard S23 is relatively compact, (only slightly bigger than the S7 ~ S9), and also uses the Snapdragon, but is still bigger than a closed Flip.

Helpful?
Simone Costi

Nov 29, 2023, 3:41:51 PM via Website

Interesting: I thought that, in Europe, they had still used an Exynos CPU for standard models, while adopting a Qualcomm CPU worldwide for the Ultra variants only.
Still, the reasons why I 've purchased a Galaxy S Ultra instead of a standard one were basically more RAM, more bass on the phone 's speakers, more battery life and the availability of a 512gb version (then, I 've bought the 256gb one)😂

Helpful?
Simone Costi

Nov 30, 2023, 7:36:05 AM via Website

About the CPUs or about my use case?

Helpful?
Best answer
Rubens Eishima
  • Admin
  • Staff

Dec 1, 2023, 1:53:52 PM via Website

Samsung used Snapdragons on all the S23 globally (with a TSMC-made chip) for the first time, I think.

They are rumored to go back to Exynos in 2024 with the s24, but it is not confirmed.

BTW, the Flip 5 also uses the same Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 found on the S23 models.

Helpful?
HelloBoySimone Costi
React Junior
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 5, 2023, 8:31:56 AM via Website

thank you so much

Helpful?
kostenlos klingelton, klingelton kostenlos and 1 more kostenlos klingeltonklingelton kostenlosHelloBoy
Simone Costi

Dec 5, 2023, 9:08:21 AM via Website

And... What about the AI features of the Galaxy S24? Should I tell to my dad that I can 't change my handset now and wait for the Galaxy Z Flip 6 to come out?

Helpful?
kostenlos klingeltonHelloBoy
Rubens Eishima
  • Admin
  • Staff

Dec 6, 2023, 9:22:11 AM via Website

I wouldn't bother with the AI stuff, unless they seem useful for your scenarios.

And of course, depending on how big of a discount you can get for the current models...

Helpful?
kostenlos klingelton