an app called "Allow"

• Replies:7
  • Answered
djinn
  • Forum posts: 3

May 7, 2020, 1:46:39 PM via Website

the name of this app makes it almost impossible to search for info about it !
does anyone know what it does and where it comes from ?
I tried unsuccessfully to install an APK but noticed the error message mentioned Allow, and that this appeared with a (shield-looking) icon, so I looked for it on my phone and disabled it (along with the usual dire warnings) - and lo & behold, I was able to install the APK
is this app important or is it just designed to stop me installing things ?

Best answer
marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

May 7, 2020, 2:52:45 PM via Website

not an app, a permission

Helpful?
djinn

May 8, 2020, 1:10:22 AM via Website

no - not a permission; I didn't just switch it off
I disabled it - after finding ot in a list of apps..

Helpful?
marco sarli
  • Admin

May 9, 2020, 9:38:23 AM via Website

Then check for it in the Play Store but apps do not install without someone giving permission

Helpful?
djinn

May 9, 2020, 11:14:49 PM via Website

I am sufficiently paranoid that I have NEVER visited the playstore. The only apps are those pre-installed on my phone. That is why I was trying to install an APK (and succeeded).
This "Allow" was an app, pre-installed, intended to defeat my loading something that google did not "know" about. It is cunningly named in order that it is difficult to investigate, and meant to make you think that it is a "permission" - you fell for that one ...
Please believe me - it is an app - and stop trying to tell me it is just something that I ticked !

Helpful?
marco sarli
  • Admin

May 10, 2020, 12:59:12 AM via Website

When you buy a phone one of the first things you do is to uninstall the useless apps that come with it. I am not trying to convince you of anything. You are so paranoid that you do not visit the Play Store but install apk from other sources? Have a nice day.

Helpful?
Best answer
marco sarli
  • Admin

May 10, 2020, 4:09:37 AM via Website

And it is old and useless.

— modified on May 10, 2020, 7:52:16 AM

Helpful?