Best Phone - $250 Budget

• Replies:14
Mustang Martigan
  • Forum posts: 8

Nov 9, 2017, 1:13:36 PM via Website

Hey, I have $250 to drop on a new phone.
I was gonna grab the unlocked Moto G5 Plus, but then I read about its "tinny" sounding speaker when playing music. Also, are the speaker and microphone the same device? I record alot of song ideas on my phone, and when the microphone's poor quality there's alot of distortion and it's hard to make out what's going on.

I was also thinking about the HTC One M9, but that seems to be the exact opposite.. dual, stereo, speakers, but lacks performance multitasking.

I only use my phone for internet, music and just basic functions. I don't care about a quality camera, I don't play games and don't want a screen larger than 5" (tho it seems like I need to settle on 5.2" to get a half decent phone).

With this information, does anyone have any suggestions on a phone?

Thanks.

— modified on Nov 9, 2017, 7:19:19 PM

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Nov 10, 2017, 2:58:24 AM via Website

How do you think about Huawei P10 Lite? Octa Core, LCD 5.2".

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Mustang Martigan

Nov 10, 2017, 11:08:51 AM via Website

I've been reading up on the Huawei P10 Lite. It seems pretty decent. Too bad it doesn't come with a Gorilla Glass screen; I'm batting 1000 when it comes to breaking screens.
Is the Gorilla Glass that you can buy separately, and apply yourself, the same strength as the stock GG screens coming with all these new phones?

Also, I'm not too familiar with Huawei.. I always thought they just made cheap/affordable phones. Do they have a good reputation as far as durability? I'm going to pass on the HTC phone(s) I was considering, as it seems like they're prone to breaking fairly quick.

Joanna Grace
  • Forum posts: 12

Nov 14, 2017, 2:36:11 PM via Website

Go with Samsung

Mustang Martigan

Nov 14, 2017, 3:20:42 PM via Website

Joanna Grace

Go with Samsung

Any particular model? I was checking out the Galaxy S6 last night. The 32GB model is the only one below $250.

I didn't pull the trigger cuz it doesn't have a SD slot. Plus, a moderator on another forum recommended I pass on it..
Due to it's age, Samsung may stop putting out security updates for it.

— modified on Nov 14, 2017, 3:22:22 PM

AC&MM
  • Forum posts: 1,155

Nov 14, 2017, 5:29:08 PM via Website

Adam Lap

I was gonna grab the unlocked Moto G5 Plus, but then I read about its "tinny" sounding speaker when playing music. Also, are the speaker and microphone the same device? I record alot of song ideas on my phone, and when the microphone's poor quality there's alot of distortion and it's hard to make out what's going on.

I was also thinking about the HTC One M9, but that seems to be the exact opposite.. dual, stereo, speakers, but lacks performance multitasking.

I only use my phone for internet, music and just basic functions. I don't care about a quality camera, I don't play games and don't want a screen larger than 5" (tho it seems like I need to settle on 5.2" to get a half decent phone).

Thanks.

I think Moto Z2 Force or Moto Z2 Play are good choices to be made. Nowdays I have a Moto Z2 play and sometimes I used to record some audios and videos with these phones an I coudn't notice any loss of quality.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

AC&MM

Nov 14, 2017, 5:30:41 PM via Website

AC&MM

Adam Lap

Thanks.

I think Moto Z2 Force or Moto Z2 Play are good choices to be made. Nowdays I have a Moto Z2 play and sometimes I used to record some audios and videos with these phones an I coudn't notice any loss of quality.
And they're good to play music and videos. Well, at least, this is what I think.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

Mustang Martigan

Nov 14, 2017, 6:48:32 PM via Website

AC&MM

Both of those phones are WAY past my $250 budget.

As far as mic quality goes, I'm not unrealistically looking for a phone with a pro quality microphone. I just need an average quality one that doesn't clip from anything remotely loud, like an acoustic guitar or singing.. which makes for distorted playback that can barely be made out.

AC&MM

Nov 14, 2017, 7:57:17 PM via Website

Adam Lap

AC&MM

Both of those phones are WAY past my $250 budget.

As far as mic quality goes, I'm not unrealistically looking for a phone with a pro quality microphone. I just need an average quality one that doesn't clip from anything remotely loud, like an acoustic guitar or singing.. which makes for distorted playback that can barely be made out.

Oh! You're reason! I'd not paid attention to this detail! So I suggest you Moto G4 Plus. I think it's on this range of price.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

Stan M.
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 16, 2017, 4:02:18 AM via Website

Hi there, have a look of Honor 8, you will like it.

James Watson

Allen Lee
  • Forum posts: 22

Nov 16, 2017, 4:56:32 AM via Website

I don't know which phone fits you. But you could go to shop to try them, then maybe you will find the one you want.

Mustang Martigan

Nov 16, 2017, 5:21:22 AM via Website

I've been reading up on the LG G5 and it seems pretty rad, as well as getting great reviews. I'm most likely gonna buy it.

Raza Shaikh
  • Forum posts: 27

Nov 16, 2017, 6:29:21 AM via Website

Go with Nokia 6. It has dual front-facing speakers with a "smart amplifier" and Dolby audio enhancements for a louder and crisp output.

Mustang Martigan

Nov 16, 2017, 3:28:52 PM via Website

The Lg G5 out performs the Nokia in every category. Nokia might have the Dolby stereo speakers, but the G5 had a louder speaker (dB) and can play audio up to 24bit/192Hz.

Raza Shaikh

jonsmith
  • Forum posts: 81

Jul 2, 2018, 11:54:47 AM via Website

Always recommend huawai phones, you can also check any phone in your budget.