Start eCommerce website: how much does it cost to create a successful online store?

• Replies:8
Sundarsun 2527
  • Forum posts: 39

May 2, 2017, 3:32:24 PM via Website

How to develop eCommerce website: how much does it cost:
Planned to start successful online store, Just looking for a rough cost for a eCommerce website, including an best ecommerce features. Not too complicated, just to start website like amazon, flipkart, though must be aesthetically pleasing. Does anyone have any idea of roughly how much it would cost to make.

Torry Cox
  • Forum posts: 10

May 3, 2017, 4:33:32 PM via Website

KBay

Create website by itself is not a big deal. There are many platforms that does for you most of the work. For example wordpress has many plugin for that. The problem is what to sell and how are [![image][3]][2]you going to promote your store.
This is a real challenge.

I totally agree. A very important role is played by product promotion

Sundarsun 2527

Sundarsun 2527
  • Forum posts: 39

May 4, 2017, 11:49:12 AM via Website

Hi Kbay nice to hear a reply from you, but i am going to start a ecommerce website like amazon. i want to know which platform is best to start a ecommerce website. Could you refer.

— modified on May 4, 2017, 12:21:28 PM

JayB
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 5, 2019, 2:47:46 PM via Website

If we are talking about developing a website using complex CMSs, for example, Magento, here it takes much longer than developing and designing a website using WordPress and Shopify. You should note that in Eastern Europe, developers charge approximately $45 per hour, while in Western Europe the price varies between $51 and $100+. Let’s describe the cost in stages:

• Creating the project scope - 7–19 hours
  • The CMS installation - 2–4 hours
  • Installation of extensions & softwares - 6–27 hours
    *Custom extension development (if it’s necessary) 8–40 hours
  • Ready-to-go theme (Searching, downloading, and configuring an off-the-rack theme) - 1–4 hours
    *Custom theme development (Creation of a custom theme (creating a theme prototype, theme structure, developing the theme)) - 40–320 hours
  • E‑commerce website design - 40–128 hours
  • Back‑end development (coding, setting payments, product details, bug fixing, etc.) - 25–98 hours
  • Server architecture preparation - 6–24 hours
  • Testing & fixing - 3–11 hours
  • Live deployment - 3–4 hours.

As you can see, the professional development of an e-commerce website using complex CMS can take between 90/*135 to 320/*679 hours, considering all additional development steps. It means that e-commerce website costs between $4,300 and $16,000 (custom extension and theme development are not included to this price).

Custom WordPress website development will cost between $5,000 and $15,000.
Shopify website development will cost from $500 to $10,000.

Katarina Grumy

biunsan
  • Forum posts: 15

Sep 26, 2019, 9:48:33 PM via Website

The question is old, but. I remembered about one project on php - osCommerce. In principle, a ready-made online store.

Katarina Grumy
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 27, 2019, 8:42:45 AM via Website

Thank you, Jay!
Do you have some recommendations on what company to choose?

JayB

jibranahmed
  • Forum posts: 9

Dec 21, 2020, 9:42:22 AM via Website

I think people mostly charge according to the pages or products you are going to have on your eCommerce Website.

Lacey watson
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 12, 2022, 2:09:01 PM via Website

The popularity of e-Commerce websites is increasing rapidly. People nowadays prefer to shop online instead of going to the market. As a result, many small business owners are moving their physical operations online to establish a digital presence and increase profits If you are also planning to develop your e-commerce website, and want to know how much does it will cost to develop an e-commerce website?
Here are some key elements to consider when calculating the cost of an e-commerce website.
• Domain name costs
• Ecommerce hosting
• SSL certificate costs
• Payment processing costs
• Costs of Design
The cost of developing an e-Commerce website is estimated to be between $10,000 and $1,00,000.

— modified on Apr 12, 2022, 3:22:35 PM

Beazy
  • Forum posts: 22

Dec 10, 2023, 2:21:29 PM via Website

Depends on who you hire and your requirements. $2,000 is on the low end of what I would expect for an e-commerce site, which is one of the more complicated kinds of site you can build. To contrast that, the company I work for won't even talk to you for less than $20,000 for new dev, e-commerce or not. If you want something cheaper, you're best bet is probably to start a Shopify (or similar e-commerce service) site and pay someone to theme it. The trade off there is that you have to pay higher per transaction fees and have less flexibility on what you can and can't change.