Samsung Galaxy S6 — Data recovery after water damage

• Replies:14
Austin Vogt
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 27, 2016, 3:19:34 AM via Website

My Galaxy S6 recently took a dip in a lake and would not turn on. After trying to displace the water with 91% isopropyl alcohol and I tried to power on again, but no LEDs and would not bootup still. I disassembled the phone and tried cleaning the board with a toothbrush and alcohol to clean any corrosion and hope that my attempts to turn it on did not permanently damage any components. After the cleaning the LEDs turn on, but the screen seems to be damaged.

At this point salvaging the phone is not a priority, some very important and irreplaceable pictures that were not yet backed-up are my only concern. When I connect the phone to my PC the MTP connection is established, but trying to connect with Samsung Smart Switch gives me a connection error and fails every time. I have installed the drivers and reinstalled the drivers, but the phone simply won't connect. Are there any alternatives to try on the software side for trying to recover the files? I imagine it is likely the faulty hardware that is causing the error, but I would like to exhaust all options.

Noel Cielo

Feb 8, 2017, 6:32:08 AM via Website

Aloha Austin,
If you can figure it out, please tell me. Mine took a dunk in the toilet bowl today, it was on at the time,
and I couldn't turn it off. Dried it off best I could, put it in rice, where it still is. At one point I checked it
and it seemed very hot (in the rice), tried to turn it off again, no go. Now it is off, won't come back on
no nothing... I think it is fubar'd. :( Had TONS of pictures, especially devastating are the recent
pictures and videos, I took of my dog, who just got killed, that I hadn't posted, or backed up yet. :'(

Pravin Ramana
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 12, 2017, 12:56:31 AM via Website

Have you tried accessing the phone's DCIM folder (where images/videos from "Gallery" are) when you connected your computer? You did say that there was an established MTP connection. If your phone's disk is accessible by the computer, you should probably copy everything from the DCIM (and subfolders) to your PC/Mac. If you want to get some other stuff back try using a file recovery app like goo.gl/He8Iun

xiamia
  • Forum posts: 98

Apr 12, 2017, 8:04:39 AM via Website

If your water damaged Samsung Galaxy S6 can be detected by computer via MTP connection, you can use Samsung mobile manager program to help you get access to all data and export your important pictures to computer for backup. It's very easy and safe, please don't worry.

— modified on Apr 13, 2017, 5:03:57 AM

Christy Paul
  • Forum posts: 29

Apr 20, 2017, 8:18:29 PM via Website

Since you can turn on your phone, I think you can try this Android Data Extraction tool to get data from your water damage Samsung S6.

— modified on Apr 23, 2017, 3:03:41 PM

Max Field
  • Forum posts: 32

Jan 13, 2018, 4:09:28 PM via Website

You can connect your Samsung phone to PC with the help of USB cable and if USB debug mode is enabled on your device then you can see the option of Autoplay on your computer screen.

Simply open the folder and copy and paste the media files such as photos, videos, documents, etc from your Samsung phone to PC.

If your phone USB debug is not enabled before your phone gets damaged then in such case contacts Samsung customer care may be they can help you.

Olivia331
  • Forum posts: 90

Jan 15, 2019, 8:18:19 AM via Website

When your phone have fallen into water, you can take emergency action to avoid the data losing or reduce the data lost to the least as follows:

1) Get out your phone from the water ASAP, and remove and battery and take out the SIM card to reduce the loss or damage on the device;

2) Don't move or shake the phone frequently, so that the water will not run around your mobile phone inside;

3) Wrap the device with cloth or handkerchief for a few minutes, and then turn off your phone, and place it into a jar or a bag filled with rice for a couple of days.

After a few days, now you can turn on your phone and it works well. If you're lucky, you may find all things are kept well here. But if you find something important are lost, don't worry, you can ask for help from data recover program.

Kawhi Lau
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 16, 2019, 8:55:09 AM via Website

youtu.be/iFHD5d_n70Q
Also here is another way for this.

Steven
  • Forum posts: 118

Aug 13, 2019, 4:24:03 AM via Website

There is still hope to recover them after water damaged Samsung. With the help of the Samsung recovery tool,you can:
1. Scan data such as media files, contacts, text messages, call history ,etc,and recover them;
2. Conduct a deep scan on the phones internal and external memory and retrieve .

hassanwlc
  • Forum posts: 18

Jan 21, 2020, 12:33:01 PM via Website

It is very likely that you have a hardware issue which suggest that using a software would not gonna work unless you get your damaged hardware repaired or changed. You have tried most of the options one can so I think its time to go to an expert and get it repaired.

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Jan 21, 2020, 3:25:19 PM via Website

By now probably the phone does not exist anymore (and taking it to an expert would have been the first thing to do anyway)

HemmyngsKylee
  • Forum posts: 16

Feb 25, 2021, 4:39:37 PM via Website

Thank you for the advises

Wayne Vincent
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 8, 2023, 2:53:16 PM via Website

I understand that your Galaxy S6 has encountered water damage, and you're concerned about retrieving important pictures that were not yet backed up.

wextio
  • Forum posts: 124

Jul 10, 2023, 6:28:53 AM via Website

First, it is important to act quickly to try to recover any data that may have been lost. The longer you wait, the more likely the data will be permanently damaged. If the phone does not turn on, you may need to take it to a professional data recovery service.

Here are some steps you can take to try to recover your data:

-Turn off the phone immediately. This will help to prevent any further damage to the data.
-Remove the battery. This will also help to prevent further damage.
-Dry the phone as best you can. You can use a hair dryer on the cool setting or put the phone in a bag of rice.
-Once the phone is dry, try to turn it on. If it turns on, you may be able to recover your data using data recovery software. (Dr. Fone employed me to restore lost data in the prior year. :))

alex Holmes

Jul 10, 2023, 12:48:58 PM via Website

If you are seeking data recovery assistance for a Samsung Galaxy S6 after water damage, here are some suggestions that might help:

Power off the device: Immediately turn off the Samsung Galaxy S6 to prevent any further damage. Do not attempt to charge or power it on, as this could cause a short circuit.

Remove external components: Take out any removable components like the SIM card and SD card. Dry them separately with a cloth or tissue.

Do not shake or blow-dry the device: Avoid shaking the phone or using a hairdryer to dry it. This can potentially push water further into the device or cause heat damage.

Gently dry the phone: Use a soft, lint-free cloth or towel to gently pat the exterior of the phone and remove any visible water. Be careful not to apply excessive pressure.

Rice or desiccant method: Place the Samsung Galaxy S6 in a container or bag filled with uncooked rice or silica gel packets. These materials can help absorb moisture. Leave it in the container for at least 48 hours to allow the drying process to occur. However, please note that this method may not guarantee successful data recovery.

Seek professional help: If the data on your Samsung Galaxy S6 is critical and valuable, it's advisable to contact a professional data recovery service. They have specialized tools and expertise to handle water-damaged devices and maximize the chances of recovering your data. Make sure to choose a reputable service provider with experience in mobile phone data recovery.

Backup your data regularly: To avoid data loss in the future, it's important to regularly back up your important data to a separate storage device or cloud service. This ensures that even if your device becomes damaged, you'll have a copy of your data available.

Remember, the success of data recovery after water damage can vary depending on the extent of the damage and how quickly you take appropriate actions. It's crucial to act promptly and consider professional assistance if your data is crucial to you.