Locked out of phone.

• Replies:1
Kim Fullerton
  • Forum posts: 1

May 28, 2016, 9:38:04 PM via Website

Hi i am looking for advice? i updated my samsung s6 last night with the new update. I observed a few changes but appeared to be nothing major. This afternoon my phone ran out of battery. When i switched it on it asked for a number code instead of fingerprint recognition. It is only allowing numbers to be entered and my back up password contains letters and numbers. I have been locked out of my phone continually and have no means of opening it? Can anyone offer any advice on this issue. I telephoned my telephone provider however it is a samsung issue and not a network problem. Samsung are not available for calls or live chat until tomorrow. Many thanks in advance.

pentel
  • Forum posts: 251

May 28, 2016, 11:41:48 PM via Website

Kim Fullerton

Hi i am looking for advice? i updated my samsung s6 last night with the new update. I observed a few changes but appeared to be nothing major. This afternoon my phone ran out of battery. When i switched it on it asked for a number code instead of fingerprint recognition. It is only allowing numbers to be entered and my back up password contains letters and numbers. I have been locked out of my phone continually and have no means of opening it? Can anyone offer any advice on this issue. I telephoned my telephone provider however it is a samsung issue and not a network problem. Samsung are not available for calls or live chat until tomorrow. Many thanks in advance.

If you need to use the phone urgently, you can factory reset the phone as the S6 is no longer asking for fingerprint or passwords and you do not know what is the number code. Samsung may have other possible resolution but there is a chance that Samsung may ask you to factory reset as well. If you do decide to factory reset, you need to do it through Galaxy recovery mode instead of from Settings, which is not possible since you can't get into the phone.

Here are the steps for Galaxy recovery mode:

1. Power off the Samsung S6
  2. Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together. The S6 will power up to recovery mode.
    If the S6 powers up to the regular lock screen, then you need to power off again (chances are that you did not hold all three buttons together) and redo this till you get the recovery mode screen.
  3. On the recovery mode screen, use Volume down button to move the cursor down to "wipe data/factory reset".
    (Volume up button move cursor up)
  4. Press power button to select the option "wipe data/factory reset".

The above will factory reset the S6 and you will be able to "open" the phone.