GPS FIX GOES BAD AFTER USING MAGNETIC PHONE HOLDER

• Replies:10
  • Answered
JL MOR
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 10, 2015, 9:35:08 AM via Website

I've been using a magnetic phone holder, quite handy and lean on the windshield.
But I noticed that GPS fix have become way longer than usual, and GPS navigation Apps are having a hard time to stay on the established routes, going off route very often! This is quite annoying, and the standard GPS calibration (waving an "8) figure in the air, etc...) didn't bring any improvement.
To be noticed that even after stopping the use of the magnetic holder, which was my first uspect but not surely the source of the issue, the problem persists. I wonder if internal phone components are subject to permanent magnetization and the GPS fix issues becomes a permanent issue... oh gosh...
Anybody else with similar issues, and a hint to stop the problem?

damponting44Lee Zeaus's

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jul 10, 2015, 11:04:47 AM via Website

The internals are designed to compensate for magnetic distortion so the only thing that should be affected is the compass, unless the magnet is particularly powerful. Modern phone components are normally not affected by (reasonable) magnetization either; if you were near a magnetic field strong enough to damage your phone, the phone would be the last of your worries... Basically, if it's a decent quality phone and holder there should be no issues other than the compass, but if the holder (or phone) doesn't comply with normal regulations then there could be an issue.

Sinkster

damponting44JL MOR

JL MOR

Jul 10, 2015, 3:16:46 PM via Website

I would tend to agree, but can't understand the fact that GPS navigation have worked fairly well since day 1 and then started to malfunction. Any chance that GPS "antenna" or sensor would wear within a 6 month usage interval?

Lee Zeaus's

sinkster

Jul 10, 2015, 4:51:47 PM via App

It shouldn't, obviously, but then again faulty components aren't unheard of either. The antennae tend to be attached to the interior of the case or battery compartment so they can be susceptible to knocks or drops too.

Sinkster

damponting44Lee Zeaus's

JL MOR

Jul 10, 2015, 5:44:25 PM via Website

sinkster

It shouldn't, obviously, but then again faulty components aren't unheard of either. The antennae tend to be attached to the interior of the case or battery compartment so they can be susceptible to knocks or drops too.

Any easy/practical test that is feasible at "begginners" level?

sinkster

Jul 10, 2015, 7:59:45 PM via App

The best things you can do are:
Use an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cochibo.gpsstatus to test your GPS, and possibly fix it,
Check the XDA forum for your device to see if there are users who have or have has similar issues (not necessarily in relation to the car mount),
Check a schematic of your phone (you should be able to find one easily on Google) to see where the antenna is located and make sure the area hasn't been knocked, damaged or affected by heat.
If you get no joy with these then contact the manufacturer, or check their forum if they have one, to see if it's a known issue.

Sinkster

damponting44Lee Zeaus'sJL MOR

JL MOR

Jul 11, 2015, 9:10:07 AM via Website

Good for me, I'll try your hints and close the issue, If not happy with any of the outcomes, change device and try a different phone maker.
Pity Zopo doesn't specify, or at least I couldn't find it, the GPS chip maker/model to check the rate of the chip itself and compare to other makers.
Thanks for your advice, and cheers,

damponting44Lee Zeaus's

Dean Chan
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 30, 2016, 5:10:55 AM via Website

How about using this type of nanotech phone mount?

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 6:54:30 AM via Website

The internals are intended to make up for attractive contortion so the main thing that ought to be influenced is the compass, unless the magnet is especially capable. Current telephone segments are typically not influenced by (sensible) charge either; on the off chance that you were almost an attractive field sufficiently solid to harm your telephone, the telephone would be the remainder of your stresses... Fundamentally, if it's a not too bad quality telephone and holder there ought to be no issues other than the compass, yet in the event that the holder (or telephone) doesn't agree to ordinary controls then there could be an issue.

suman ameen

Aug 7, 2018, 3:16:11 PM via Website

I found the whole discussion very informative.

hengwincase

Sep 28, 2019, 5:30:24 AM via Website

Much better if you'll have that checked out. I don't think the phone holder you used was causing all that chaos.

hengwincase.com