Closing?

• Replies:10
Martin Jones
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 21, 2014, 3:04:09 PM via Website

I have had an email allegedly from you, but appears suspect.

The email claims you are closing, but I cant see anything on the site...

I became suspicious when it asked for my my paypal or bank details to refund credit, and asked for my password. surely you already have this information....

anyway, if its true please put something on the main site, if not please inform your users that a very real looking phishing scam is doing the rounds !

Kevin Berendsen
  • Forum posts: 118

Nov 21, 2014, 3:28:00 PM via Website

https://www.nextpit.com/site-announcement-androidpit-app-center-closing This article covers your question(s). A FAQ is included. However the email that I received an hour ago doesn't say anything about passwords nor paypal or such thing.

— modified on Nov 21, 2014, 3:30:23 PM

Andy Ba
  • Forum posts: 19

Nov 21, 2014, 4:44:32 PM via Website

But why are you closing? Is it not profitable? What happened?
I read the email about some new vat tax. But I don't understand how it impacts your business.

Onslaught
  • Forum posts: 504

Nov 21, 2014, 9:56:30 PM via Website

They declared that they have to close the App centre because of a new european tax law.
Means: they are not willing to make the changes so it is easier to close the store.
Means for you from 31st of December on your apps that you bought from Androidpit are useless. They cannot get updates anymore.
Your money you spent in the past is Lost. You have to re buy the Apps on Play Store if you need them.

Androidpit isn't interested to bring a solution for that. Why? they earned their money........

see here: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/627303/androidpit-app-center-closing-what-todo-with-purchases
and if you can speak German: https://www.nextpit.de/in-eigener-sache-androidpit-schliesst-sein-app-center

Martin Jones
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 22, 2014, 12:26:20 AM via Website

what has changed is that they now have to charge vat at the rate of the country the customer is in, and not where the business is based.

its because big companies like amazon and ebay get tax breaks from the country they are based in and juggle money and pay little or no taxes.

The real reasons why they are closing the app store down is because with the tax changes it will mean putting prices up or making less profit. Its not difficult to charge VAT at different rates. I have already implemented it myself in my own aquatics website.

What boils my pi$$ is that apps I have paid for, when I upgrade my phone next I will loose. I don't know of any other business that can close its doors and tell you that you cant keep what you have bought from them, and they have the audacity to ask if you would like to donate the remaining balance to them.....

its nothing but theft..... as in an action that will permanently keep an item I own from me !!!

If the app is available on a different site then the licence should be transferred to that site to allow us to get updates or at least provide a downloadable version from the developer that you can install on any new handset.....

Kevin Berendsen
  • Forum posts: 118

Nov 22, 2014, 2:48:53 AM via App

You will still be able to use the apps that you have bought but unfortunately cant update them. According to Nico's comment, AndroidPIT was allowing you to download the apps only once but freely offered additional services to let you update the apps and to redownload them if you wished.

By the way, Nico is an administrator on the forums. I consider his words trustworthy.

Nico's comment: https://www.nextpit.de/in-eigener-sache-androidpit-schliesst-sein-app-center#comment1561202

A suggestion would be to approach the developers with screenshots of the transitions per app. If you bought many apps, this may take some time but hopefully the developers will be providing you directly with frequent updates starting from January 2015

Onslaught
  • Forum posts: 504

Nov 22, 2014, 9:08:56 AM via Website

Yes of course you can use the apps after the 31st of december.
But how long without updates?
Buy a new phone and they are lost. Get the Lollipop Update and those apps, without updates, wont work.
You see they will run a short time and then you lost your money.
If a developer decides to kill a app ok your screwed and can't do anything against it.
But in this case a reseller decides to stop his service and you can not use an App which normaly would work and get updates.
Hope you see the difference....

And on the German magazine there are a few responds of devfelopers. All with the same statment: They can't do anything for us.
Licenes cannot be transfered to another store.

— modified on Nov 22, 2014, 9:11:50 AM

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Nov 22, 2014, 1:19:56 PM via Website

You're right in that the licences apply to AndroidPIT app store only, but while the amounts are paid to us the transaction is with the app developer via us. There was an instance a few years ago where a dev initially posted his app here, then a few months later in the Android Market (as it was then). Due to limited free time and different licences he eventually only updated the Android Market version but would honour any purchases made here via a dropbox link to the updated app (IF you contacted him, not of his own volition). Ultimately it's up to the app developer to honour your payment(s), either via a refund or the method mentioned. If you contact a developer and he fails to respond, the chances are he's not working on the app and therefore there won't be further updates.

Sinkster

Martin Neal Burgess
  • Forum posts: 10

Nov 22, 2014, 11:34:01 PM via Website

The main reason i never buy apps. You dont have any control over them.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Nov 23, 2014, 1:06:29 AM via Website

Same here. There are a few apps that I've bought that have been abandoned for no reason, or have become redundant due to android updates. SPB launcher was the best example; £10 for a launcher that was released in 2011 to a lot of hype, after two upgrades it was abandoned in 2013 without ever resolving some issues.

Sinkster