Did Google drop the ball with the Nexus 6?

• Replies:2
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 17, 2014, 10:34:55 AM via Website

I was never a fan of the idea of a 6-inch Nexus. At the time it seemed I wasn't alone. But then I wrote about Google making a mistake and was a little surprised by how many readers stepped up to defend a 6-inch Nexus. I thought perhaps I was just being a little too quick to judge because it seemed like there was a lot of support out there for Google's decision.

But after the confirmation of the Nexus 6 dimensions recently all I seem to be seeing again is complaints about the size of the phone and comments stating that people will be either sticking with the Nexus 5 or jumping ship to another OEM this year. So did Google mess up by producing a giant-ass phone? Or is it just the natural evolution and in three months we'll all be wondering how we ever lived without a 6-incher?

And possibly more to the point:

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Oct 30, 2014, 2:42:56 PM via Website

I don't see the appeal of phones of that size, but then the first Note now seems relatively normal size-wise. As long as manufacturers see a gap in the market they'll fill it (see Apple 5C/Apple 6+, Samsung Galaxy insert name here) but I didn't think Google would rely on a phablet to continue the Nexus line.

Sinkster

Raymond Ilano
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 12, 2014, 12:48:53 PM via Website

I feel they should have offered a Nexus 5 sized option with updated features in addition to Shamu. Not everyone has hands the size of Shaq. If they had such an offering at a reasonable price I know I would have gotten one instead of craigslisting a year old Nexus 5, although I do love my Nexus 5.