Cowboy developer?

• Replies:2
Derek McCoy
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 30, 2014, 10:53:26 AM via Website

Hi, I just need the advice of any app devs out there.
I paid a large sum (5 digits) to have an Android app developed which ties to an existing information feed which at the moment can be accessed via a web browser. There is also an old Blackberry version of the app which still works, but I need an Android version.
I received the initial apk and was not impressed with it, aesthetically. Splash screen stretched, back button at the top like an iPhone (the capacitive button on the phone just kicked you out of the app). The app was also much much larger than the Blackberry version.
I unzipped the apk to find the dev used Sencha and what looks like a demo framework called "Jog With Friends". There's all sort of junk and images in various folders to do with Facebook, placeholder profile pics, placeholder icons etc. there's also icons and splash screens for every platform imaginable, even obsolete ones (WebOS, Tizen, Bada, Blackberry, Windows Phone). The iOS ones are there too, but they take up a considerable amount of space, especially the retina ones.

I'm no developer, but to me this seems like a botch job and not proper work. The icon and splash screens for all non Android devices seems wasteful, inefficient and unelegant, taking them out slashes the file size by over 50%.

Am I being unreasonable? I was expecting a slick, well designed app. I don't feel like I got it.

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 30, 2014, 2:04:30 PM via Website

Hi Derek,

This is not unreasonable at all!

You've given about ten reasons why it has been poorly designed, Read over what their website/ company profile says and if they have promised anything that hasn't completely been delivered then you must contact them again. Even if they say things like "provide high quality" or "professional-looking" apps, this does not sound like it has been provided!!

Frangulyan
  • Forum posts: 18

Aug 24, 2014, 1:41:16 PM via Website

did you left the design on them or you had a dedicated designer? usually the designs and key screens are being approved before going to implementation