data partition corruption following an update....factory reset

• Replies:14
Aimee
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 1:38:43 AM via Website

Hi All,

I'm usually quite good at solving android problems...but i must say i am still scratching my head on this one!

i have a samsung galaxy s3, worked well until this automatic samsung update was downloaded this evening. Since then, every time i turn my phone on i get the same error message: 'device memory error: the data partition has been corrupted. You need to reset your device to factory defaults. This will erase all your data''''. I obviously do not want to erase my data so havent clicked on any button. any one else had this problem? any solution found?

thanks a lot

damponting44

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 9, 2014, 12:20:39 PM via Website

Well, the problem seems to be quite clear the data partition is corrupted and in order to use your device well and good you need a format there is no escaping it sooner or later you need to do that. I'll say you backup you data and click on the reset because eventually it's going to stop working and that time you are just unable to get your data back if your device is working then get the data backup and hit the factory reset.

damponting44

king`

Jul 22, 2014, 7:42:52 AM via Website

When you get the

message device damaged. The data partition has been damaged. YOu need to reset your device to factory...How can I back before reset?

Clare Alexander

Jul 22, 2014, 2:35:10 PM via Website

I also just got this message and I am freaking out! I have tons of pictures and music and everything only on my phone and I don't want to hit the reset button! I need help too! is there anyway to get everything onto my computer first before reseting my phone and after that how can i get everything back on my phone? I need help!!

damponting44

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 23, 2014, 10:18:48 AM via Website

I think John is right, I'm not sure that this issue can be avoided :'(

Any images sent on whatsapp, uploaded to facebook or Instagram, should easily be able to be retrieved.

Music on the other hand........ :(

Hopefully you have an SD card in there with some of your files on it, too. Anything on your SD card will still remain after the reset.

damponting44

Emma Reyna

Jul 28, 2014, 8:15:33 AM via Website

This update just happened today on my samsung galaxy s3. However since i did have my backup already in place, i did select the reset option........and nothing happened. Nothing. I pressed the reset like 5 times and my phn did nothing. I figured i would pull the battery out and restart my phn and when i did, the phn started up normal. Nothing lost and no reset.

I am taking the phn to the store to get checked though, just in case.

damponting44

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 29, 2014, 12:54:34 PM via Website

Emma Reyna

This update just happened today on my samsung galaxy s3. However since i did have my backup already in place, i did select the reset option........and nothing happened. Nothing. I pressed the reset like 5 times and my phn did nothing. I figured i would pull the battery out and restart my phn and when i did, the phn started up normal. Nothing lost and no reset.

I am taking the phn to the store to get checked though, just in case.

Oh wow way to go! Hopefully everything will be working as normal. All you did was take the battery out? Nice!

Matt Brusoe

Aug 7, 2014, 1:48:05 PM via Website

I had the same thing happened and pulled my battery a dot it back in and restarted it and it seems to be fine. Took a bit longer to restart though.

Not sure if this is related but last night I actually put in a 64 gig memory card to begin moving pictures to it and such to clear up space on my phone. Also moved some apps to it.

This seem to be ok for now though

Maggie D

Aug 25, 2014, 9:57:34 PM via Website

Hi this is strange as same has just happened to me tonight and I'm def not hitting any reset buttons until I have absolutely no choice. I have been having terrible battery problems for ages but just work with spare batteries though was using three a day and I am not a heavy user, got lots of apps or download a lot. Certainly battery crashed again just before this happened. Not sure if I had an automated updated - may have ! Given this has happened with a few people maybe Samsung's issued a software update which was not bug free ?

Vodafone advised calling Samsung direct, though lines closed at 6 pm and they don't open til 9am so I goosed getting help tonight
They also "think" all my data should automatically be backed up by Google. I'm to ask Samsung. Anyone know if that true ?
Tried the battery out and then replaced restarted but sadly same Reset massage appearing. Ditto another twice.
Charging it the now whilst it's switched off and will try turning on again once it fully charged see if that helps.
Anyone any other ideas ??
:-(

phegriffin

Nov 4, 2014, 4:46:56 PM via Website

My phone did the same thing so I just reset it and it worked

lilr3d9816

Dec 28, 2014, 7:41:43 PM via Website

Hey what I did was took out the battery and put it back in. It started up like normal. Now I would back everything up to a computer just in case it happens again at which point you know your files are safe.

malay chan

Jan 23, 2015, 5:05:16 AM via Website

I have this problem too, but I don't want to reset . So I tried to reboot the phone by pressing the power button and the menu button together. After it restarts, everything is back to normal.
So whenever I see that message I just reboot my phone.

Kate

Azz Rock

Nov 3, 2015, 6:59:41 PM via Website

Hi, maybe too bit later, but this can be still useful to people.

You may probably can enter in Download Mode. Then, you can use ODIN to flash the TWRP Recovery. Then, boot up to recovery mode and while in there, you have ADB connection (PC required) and you can backup your data. Unless you really have a bad corrupted partition, this will be of use for those times that you need to reset but you cant login to your normal boot mode.

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 7:06:10 AM via Website

This redesign simply happened today on my samsung system s3. However since i had my reinforcement as of now set up, i selected the reset option........and nothing happened. Nothing. I squeezed the reset like 5 times and my phn did nothing. I figured i would haul the battery out and restart my phn and when i did, the phn began up ordinary. Nothing lost and no reset.

I am taking the phn to the store to get checked however, in the event of some unforeseen issue.

Cindy Young Walker

Nov 9, 2016, 2:58:08 PM via Website

Hi Aimee. The exact same thing happened to my phone yesterday. Exactly. I am kind of freaking out because I don't know how to back up my data and I am afraid I will lose all my contacts.