What's the most important thing when buying a phone?

• Replies:31
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Apr 9, 2014, 5:56:22 PM via Website

Hi guys,

With all the great new phones out there that very in price, hardware, software, etc, what are you looking for in a phone in particular? What will make it or break it for you? The display? The built-in features? The camera? The price/performance ratio?

When I look for a phone, I'm looking for a good price/performance ratio, so I would consider the Moto G.

So how about you?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 9, 2014, 6:24:09 PM via Website

Yeah for me it's more (high) performance/ratio (hence having a Nexus 5), but if money was no obstacle I'd go a Google Play edition of a flagship I like the display/camera/battery combination on.

It's hard to get the recipe ''right'' because everything changes so quickly. If I was to buy one now, it'd be a GPe HTC One M8. In a couple months a LG G3 (I expect).

I'm very interested to see the OnePlus One in a couple of weeks. It may very well be the perfect smartphone right now: all the top of the line specs AND a rock-bottom price. Hopefully that will be the way of the future as Chinese manufacturers pick up speed in Europe and the US.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Apr 9, 2014, 8:34:59 PM via Website

I always check out my options, so I can't say there's a specific order of importance. Though when I bought my first android new flagship phones were about 18 months apart whereas now it seems to be 6 months and shrinking...

Sinkster

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Apr 10, 2014, 8:29:17 AM via Website

for me big screen with high resolution

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Apr 10, 2014, 4:33:18 PM via Website

Something new (Innovation) and i don't mean upgrades
Good price

Kris Carlon

Apr 11, 2014, 5:50:53 PM via Website

That's a good point @John. We hear endless complaints about delayed updates all the time, and yet, the market for Nexus devices, Google Play editions, and custom ROMs that bring those updates much faster than manufacturers and carriers is relatively small.

With 3/4 of US carriers blocking the Galaxy S5's Download Booster feature too, it makes you wonder, if your manufacturer sucks at updating and your carrier starts blocking features, what options are you willing to look into as alternatives?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

GT Ohh

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Apr 13, 2014, 10:14:08 AM via App

Well, I need power and an fhd screen (or a codec that has no problems playing fhd, hi10p encoded videos on a lower resolution screen), a large screen, removable battery and micro sd slot, s-pen is nice but not necessarily needed. Also I prefer TouchWiz (but pls not with bloatware, just the ui)...

Best regards

MFG/Regards My1

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 39

Apr 14, 2014, 10:44:36 AM via Website

I would pick a phone with which I can call, send SMS and surf internet.QUICKLY :p :D :D

— modified on Apr 15, 2014, 6:07:22 AM

Northernbaygirl

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Apr 17, 2014, 2:41:26 AM via Website

Screen size (4 to 5 inch), size of RAM (min 1.5gb)/Built in Memory (min 16gb), card slot, decent camera. but if I was holding 2 identical spec handsets I'd have to go with the one that felt best in my hand. I love the spec of the Xperia z2 but I don't think it will feel right in my hand/s (based on using the Xperia T)

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 17, 2014, 7:02:26 AM via Website

Future Apps

I would pick a phone with which I can call, send SMS and surf internet.QUICKLY :p :D :D

I think this can be done by every phone available in the market because this is why they mobile phones are built for !! :D

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 39

Apr 18, 2014, 6:00:39 AM via Website

John Farrell

Future Apps

I think this can be done by every phone available in the market because this is why they mobile phones are built for !! :D

:D :D :D Was kidding bro !!

Random Username
  • Forum posts: 8

Apr 18, 2014, 7:49:34 PM via Website

I want to keep my phone for a while so I look mainly for a premium build. Processing power isn't that important, but a good camera is nice bonus.

Northernbaygirl

noor kabara
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 19, 2014, 8:21:15 PM via Website

I look for hardware specification first and then the display second. That is why the samsung galaxy note 3 is the best phone around.

Rick Bonner
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 21, 2014, 1:38:28 PM via Website

I just upgraded to the S5 and the contributing factors that I look at are aesthetics, weight, size, and options that make a particular phone or device stand out from the crowd. In the case of the S5 it was the only phone that had all the things I was looking for (see above) plus the water resistent and dust resistent aspects because water intrusion is my biggest cause for destroying phones.

dario morino
  • Forum posts: 6

Apr 22, 2014, 6:31:56 PM via Website

Big screen with high resolution and good price

My1

Apr 22, 2014, 6:33:09 PM via Website

but at least iin place of phones FHD should be enough, we dont need 2 or 4K...

MFG/Regards My1

Katie McLarson
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 25, 2014, 9:48:12 PM via Website

The built-in features, for sure!

I usually look for phones that have the best in the features that I use the most. So for me: I need a great keyboard/pad (must be really touch-friendly, and not lag) I also like to have a quick-focus camera with editing available.

My1

Apr 28, 2014, 1:39:32 PM via Website

for now I can add "not having Kitkat" to the list...

MFG/Regards My1

Sashank Sharma
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 28, 2014, 3:07:25 PM via Website

For me first of all battery back up of any smartphone. Then its performance and of course the budget always matter, after that its Camera, surf internet quickly and processor & all.

Kris Carlon

Apr 30, 2014, 10:20:05 AM via Website

What do you guys think about all this Android Silver business?

Do you think it will replace both Nexus and Google Play editions, or will Nexus go the super low-end route, as suggested by the $100 nexus rumor, and Silver will go high-end as an Apple competitior? What happens to the middle ground then (currently occupied - and occupied very well - by Nexus devices)?

I like the idea of more premium flagships available with minimal bloat and rapid updates, and I don't even mind Google having a controlling say in the specs of those devices (because I like how they've done Nexus), but I'd be very sad to see a high-spec, mid-priced device range like the Nexus line disappear.

My1

Apr 30, 2014, 10:26:21 AM via Website

even though I like Samsung more coz of SD and removable battery, I wont say that nexus is bad and honestly I would miss it still...

and if they want to make devices with a premium price they REALLY have to step p and come with huge space (and re-introduce microSD), huge (rather removable) battery and everything

MFG/Regards My1

herry prothyer
  • Forum posts: 88

Aug 22, 2014, 9:14:10 AM via Website

for me size doesn't matter i usually see features mostly processor, RAM, battery life, internal space, sensor size, touch focus, and last but not the list i should carry the device in my hand comfortably. :)

navid
  • Forum posts: 7

Aug 22, 2014, 3:58:28 PM via App

hardware imean cpu, gpu n RAM
of course the size of internal memory too.

Senapus Petit
  • Forum posts: 70

Sep 2, 2014, 11:02:14 AM via Website

Hardware and price.
But this ratio is on par with community.
I pick the phone with the most active developer community on the internet.
You get to talk with them, have fun, mod the device to make it even more awesome.

DL Games
  • Forum posts: 42

Sep 2, 2014, 12:46:03 PM via Website

Well for me, when i'm looking for a new phone i'm interested in the aspect of the phone, the price and the performance of it.
But overall if i like the design i BUY :) !

herry prothyer
  • Forum posts: 88

Sep 2, 2014, 12:58:36 PM via Website

I generally looking for high processor, huge RAM, Huge internal storage space, huge screen resolution, and specially color of device i generally like dark colors.

S.OUSSAMA
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 14, 2015, 1:40:04 PM via Website

**Hello,
Look at the new phones of performance and features. But the most important thing is to see him update, for example Nexus 5.

Thanks**

Irek Janek
  • Forum posts: 6

Feb 14, 2015, 9:39:42 PM via Website

For me it is always the size. The smaller the better.