How to fix "unfortunately maps has stopped working"

• Replies:21
  • Stickied
Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Feb 12, 2014, 11:10:53 AM via Website

If you are getting the "unfortunately maps has stopped working" error message, here are a few things you can try to fix it:

1. First try clearing the app data
-Go to settings/applications then find the app and clear data.

2. If that does not work, try a battery pull.
-*make sure you properly turn the phone off before pulling out the battery*. As doing so drains the small amount of persistent memory. Leave the battery out for a few seconds, then put it back in and clear the phone.

3. Still having the same issue? Try a factory reset ***Make sure you have backed everything up on your device**
Factory Reset for the Galaxy S3
Factory Reset for the Samsung Galaxy S4
Factory Reset for the Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Factory Reset for the Samsung Galaxy S2
Factory Reset the Nexus 5

Deactivated AccountXav OmiTaiba A.Amila Menaka Heshan Akmeemana

Calvin Lee
  • Forum posts: 17

Mar 8, 2014, 8:34:49 AM via App

all you need to do is application and select map and clear data

that should work

Taiba A.Deactivated Account

Leo
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 4, 2014, 12:17:30 PM via Website

I met the same problems and searched many internet pages for the solutions but didn't work. But finally I found my solution and I am happy to share with you. The latest version of google map is 8.1. I uninstalled it and install 8.0 then the problem is fixed. So try an older version and then stop the automatic update. The problem should be fixed.

Taiba A.Titin Tunnisa

martin helstein

Nov 14, 2014, 5:57:41 PM via Website

Can you say how to turn off the automatic update?

Eric Rhodes
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 30, 2015, 12:50:41 AM via Website

Leo

I met the same problems and searched many internet pages for the solutions but didn't work. But finally I found my solution and I am happy to share with you. The latest version of google map is 8.1. I uninstalled it and install 8.0 then the problem is fixed. So try an older version and then stop the automatic update. The problem should be fixed.

Ya because this is my second phone that doesn't have a working Google Maps AND my gf's new phone came witha broken Google Maps out of the box as well.

David Melamed

Feb 20, 2015, 10:11:10 PM via Website

Thanks for you post.
I cleared data on the app --- that helped -- I can now get automobile directions on Google Maps.

But any time I request Bicycle or Pedestrian Directions it immediately responds

"Unfortunately, Maps has stopped"

This was working on my original HTC One phone. I am using a replacement which is essentially the same.

As far as I know, the battery on this unit is not user removable or replaceable. I'm not interested in doing a factory reset. Isn't there a way of reinstalling or updating GOOGLE Maps when it is consistently failing like this?

Thank you   

Dimitra Kaikai

May 22, 2015, 1:17:17 AM via Website

Heya, thanq vmuch. Although I literally JUST first used my device this issue came up. Cleared the cache and it worked for now, many thanks :) best, DK

Deactivated Account

Jun 16, 2015, 5:10:45 PM via Website

Calvin, I tried "application and select map and clear data" on my Samsung Galaxy Light and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Amila Menaka Heshan Akmeemana

Aug 18, 2015, 3:24:54 PM via Website

Thanks dude. It worked. :)

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Dec 11, 2015, 1:59:00 PM via Website

This worked for me as well, just needed to accept the update to this app. thanks for sharing

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Sam Halstead

Jan 4, 2016, 3:19:30 AM via Website

I went to delete Maps and received a message asking if I wanted to remove all updates to the App, I clicked Yes and all is back to normal.

Ray Luo

Xav Omi

Jun 17, 2016, 3:46:36 AM via Website

Thank you so much, clearing the app data worked for me. Before, Maps crashed every time I used the navigation.

Che Mist

Nov 12, 2016, 4:14:46 PM via Website

Just clear data and dont update. Fixed for me. Thanks guys

Alicia Worthington
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 19, 2017, 12:05:00 PM via Website

Clearing the data ...will bring backup to default state....is thr any other option

Ana Schumacher
  • Forum posts: 23

Oct 9, 2018, 11:59:59 AM via Website

clear map data may be helpful

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Feb 20, 2019, 12:25:22 PM via Website

martin helstein

Can you say how to turn off the automatic update?

On a Samsung phone s7 or newer.
Go to settings then all apps. Find devlopers options. There you will find the auto update settings for your software updates.
For play store that setting is in the Play Store menu.

Demixl
  • Forum posts: 50

Jan 17, 2020, 1:40:52 PM via Website

Thanks for the reply

george441
  • Forum posts: 40

Jun 11, 2020, 11:27:52 AM via Website

I think if you clear your phone browsing history and also with apps cache then it will open smoothly.

COBaker
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 9, 2021, 2:16:58 AM via Website

I had this last weekend , I had this error corrected by my friend, why I did not read this topic earlier..

ahmed abdullah
  • Forum posts: 26

Aug 13, 2023, 10:53:51 AM via Website

If you're encountering the "unfortunately maps has stopped working" error, you have a few options to address the issue. Firstly, attempt to resolve it by clearing the app data. Head to Settings > Applications, locate the Maps app, and clear its data. If this doesn't resolve the problem, you can try a battery pull, ensuring your phone is powered off before removing the battery. Allow the phone to rest briefly without the battery, then reinsert it, turn on the device, and clear it again. However, if the problem persists, you might consider a factory reset as a last resort. Make sure you've backed up all your device's data before proceeding with this step to avoid losing any important information.