How do I upgrade the version of Android on my tablet?

• Replies:9
Calvin Brod
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 17, 2013, 1:26:56 PM via Website

HI,

plz help me....

How do I upgrade the version of Android on my tablet?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 17, 2013, 2:17:30 PM via Website

It depends on the tablet itself. In settings/about device there should be a 'check for updates' option, but that depends on the manufacturer. If you have a Nexus then you'll get updates pretty quickly, or if it's a mainstream tablet such as Asus, samsung etc., then there should be fairly regular updates. If it's a lesser known manufacturer then there may never be an update as a lot of these tablets are made within a strict budget and have no follow-up support, or may not even have the capacity to upgrade. There are ways round this, but it would probably require rooting and/or unlocking the bootloader, and may brick your tablet. What make/model is it?

Sinkster

Calvin Brod
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 18, 2013, 10:32:00 AM via Website

HCL U1 Tablet.....

Currently android 4.1 jelly bean

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 18, 2013, 10:55:33 PM via Website

Hey @Calvin, I'm not familiar with this device, but you could check in with the manufacturer's website (or your carrier if you have it on a plan) and see if or when there is a planned update. If there is none then your only option is, as @John mentioned, to flash a custom ROM on your tablet.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Ctls_Murari
  • Forum posts: 16

Dec 26, 2013, 7:24:50 AM via Website

John Farrell
Calvin Brod
HCL U1 Tablet.....

Currently android 4.1 jelly bean

Have you checked for update if updates are not available then you can always root your deivce.

Kindly Follow these instruction:-

To flash HCL ME U1 tab first you need to download the firmware of the ME U1.The link for which will be provided below. Flashing of HCL ME U1 will delete all the previously installed apps that are on the internal memory of the tablet, also it will format the SD card so it recommend to take out the memory card.

The steps to Flash HCL ME U1 are as follows:

1) Download and extract the firmware files on laptop or computer. Download the firmware from here.

2) In the extracted folder click on the MPTOOL.exe file. A window will appear.

3) Connect the USB wire to the computer and switch off the tablet.

4) press the Vol + and power button together and then plug in the USB wire to the tablet as shown in the video.

5) If the step 4 is done correctly then a drive will popup on the system, this is the internal memory drive of the tablet and named VDfu.

6) On the appeared Window of MPTOOL a message will appear which says ” 1 Device Ready“. Only if above mentioned steps are done correctly, as shown in the image.

7) Now click on Update option on the MP TOOL window.

8) After the Android installation finish the tablet will restart of its own and you will be ready to use the tablet.

Chris Rosa
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 4, 2014, 1:40:01 PM via Website

I have a second generation Nexus 7 tab and still have not received the update. But depending on the manufacturer, which you failed to specify, you can download the update by connecting via USB cable to a laptop or desktop computer and connect to Google directly.

jayanta sarma
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 1:20:39 PM via Website

i did same but updating are processing for a while then show update error (hcl me u1 ice cream 512 ram 4 gb sd)

Jason elve
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 18, 2014, 8:33:51 AM via Website

Well, It relies on the product itself. In settings/ about system there should be a 'check for updates' option, but that relies on the maker. If you have a Nexus then you'll get up-dates fairly easily,