Samsung Galaxy S3 — Can't find Settings after upgrading to Jelly Bean 4.3

• Replies:11
Beata Lopez
  • Forum posts: 5

Dec 4, 2013, 6:25:48 AM via Website

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I can't find it anywhere on the net :( Yesterday I got a notice on my phone,, prompting me to upgrade the phone. Without thinking , I said "yes" (big mistake !) , and since then I don't have Settings on my phone . Is there a way to fix this ? Anybody can help ...PLEASE :(

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 4, 2013, 5:55:59 PM via Website

Hi @Beata, so the Settings menu icon no longer appears in the app drawer? Have you tried swiping down from the top of the home screen to get to your notifications? In the top right hand corner you should find the little cog icon for Settings. Not sure about a more permanent fix though I'm afraid!

Have you tried doing a backup and factory resetting your phone? (Probably not, because you need to be in the Settings Menu to do it!) Many people perform a factory reset after a firmware update because sometimes little bugs like this can be cleared out before they are a problem. let me know how you go.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 4, 2013, 8:33:11 PM via Website

In addition to the notifications bar Kris mentioned, another possibility would be to touch the menu button (the one to the left of your home button), from the homescreen. Bottom option should be "Settings."

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Beata Lopez

Dec 4, 2013, 11:23:30 PM via Website

Hi Kris ! Thank you for responding to my post. Yes, I already tried to do what you say about swiping down from the home screen . But when I tap on the icon for Settings, the screen just swipe back to home screen and nothing happens.
Also when on the home screen I open the (not sure how you call it) "shortcut" (below the screen , on left corner , where the little window pops up wit ...Add apps and widgets; Create folder ; Set wallpaper ...etc. ), the last one is the icon for Settings, when I tap on the Settings , the page that I visited last pops up with message in small window saying... "Unfortunately, TouchWiz Home has stopped"

So, I guess, like you said, I can't do factory reset ? I regret so much doing the upgrade :( I wonder if I go to my cell phone company , maybe they will have an answer for me ?

I need to find a way to fix this , as I NEED the Settings !

Thanks again for your help.

Beata Lopez

Dec 4, 2013, 11:25:44 PM via Website

Ahh, thank you ! Now I know what that button is ....It's the menu button ! Tried that too :(

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 5, 2013, 1:07:56 PM via Website

Hi @Beata, the next step is to do the button combination for a hard reset (it doesn't require the settings menu). Here's the walkthrough on how to hard reset your s3 manually. let me know if that still doesn't work.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Beata Lopez

Dec 5, 2013, 1:52:06 PM via Website

Hi Kris ! Thanks again. Will I loose my contacts, photos, music, text messsages etc. when I do the hard reset? Do I need to backup everything first ?

Jim Williams
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 28, 2013, 11:22:25 PM via Website

Beata Lopez
Hi Kris ! Thanks again. Will I loose my contacts, photos, music, text messsages etc. when I do the hard reset? Do I need to backup everything first ?
Yes you will lose everything. Back it up to your PC first.

M Pac

Feb 14, 2014, 7:58:57 AM via Website

Hi @beatta
I have the exact same problem. dont really want to do a hard reset if I can avoid it. What did you end up doing? Did it help??
Cheers

Beata Lopez

Feb 14, 2014, 8:52:38 PM via Website

@M Pac. I got great help here, but I didn't want to do the hard reset by myself. I went to my cell phone provider. They tried to do the reset, but something didn't work, and they sent my phone to repair shop. I just got it back a week ago. All is back to normal, and I am very happy :)

I back up everything before I took the phone in. I hope you can fix the problem. The only thing I didn't like, is that they didn't have android phone for lending at the moment and gave me a Blackberry curve to use it. What a headache for 2 weeks !!

Soh araf

Apr 12, 2014, 8:15:32 PM via Website

Hi there ,
I do have the same problem with my samsung s3 ,tried the hard reset to no luck .
Is there any other option that i can try ??

Lana Diaz

Oct 12, 2015, 12:16:08 AM via Website

Hi,
Will a hard reset work if the settings is not working But you can still see it?