Which Messenger do you use?

• Replies:61
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Sep 19, 2013, 5:00:12 PM via Website

With the arrival of BlackBerry Messenger to Android in 2 days ( Sept 21st), it's a prime opportunity to ask which messengers and chat apps our Android users have, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat? How do you communicate with the online world?

I use a mix of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger: WhatsApp more for closer family members and friends and Facebook Messenger for just anyone, including the people mentioned before. I also like Google Hangouts for talking to people at work because it's right on my email.
The only problem for me with Google Hangouts on my actual smarpthone is that it wouldn't let me take pictures right within the app or upload them. And I was too busy to try and figure out way. While at the Berlin IFA this year, it was pretty annoying trying to relay pics back to my peers.

So, tell me! What messenger do you use, how and why?

d4ead
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 8:40:52 PM via Website

i have long had an addiction for messaging apps and probably have way to many installed.

contacts+ is my text messenger it has built in messaging as well but no one else i know uses it.
whatsapp is my most used msg service hitting the 5000 msgs a month point
tango and viber are both installed and i like them but no one ever messages me on them
FB messanger is used but i hate it, however people do insist on using fb
i like google hangouts but i dont know anyone that uses it...

truth is ive been waiting for bb messanger for ages..

in other news hookt was awesome but now its crap
line is very good but no ones on it, same with weechat, messageme, chaton, freepp, invi, vonage

i find kik terrible constant crahses and history loss but people still insist on using it

truth is whatsapp and fb remain really the only apps worth having.... until now????????

Nicholas M.
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 19, 2013, 11:39:41 PM via Website

To be honest, I do not know many people on any of the chats. I use Yahoo messenger for work because that is what we use to communicate. Outside of work, I use FB Messenger with my niece and nephew when they are on, I also use it for my football picks league. However, I do not use any and stand by one. I can say I used to use BB messenger all the time and loved it. It was great when planning family events with the in-laws, my family and friends. But, now that we all are away from Blackberry devices, everyone uses Text message for the most part.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 20, 2013, 11:49:17 AM via Website

I use a ton for different reasons: WhatsApp for everything, Viber for the people that prefer it (I like it's look more than WhatsApp actually), Skype because I'm sentimental about it, Hangouts for work, and I have Tumblr, Vine and Instagram which I guess are sort of similar enough, depending on what you like to message. I don't use Facebook Messenger (or the app, for that matter) because I don't like the permissions, so I just check Facebook and send messages via my browser. I'll definitely check out BBM for Android and see how it goes. I like it's security aspect too.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Akash Ravi

Sep 20, 2013, 6:43:15 PM via App

whatsapp..

Shanaka Fernando

Sep 20, 2013, 7:47:21 PM via App

WhatsApp most of the time

Moustafa Morsy

Sep 21, 2013, 2:27:54 AM via App

whatsapp

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Sep 21, 2013, 9:58:57 AM via Website

mostly whatsapp but when my phone is in for warranty I mostly use Hangouts or FB (just the messenger on the droids) and maybe I check wickr...

MFG/Regards My1

Jorge Z.

Sep 22, 2013, 11:42:48 AM via Website

Whatsapp, FB Messenger, and Viber, in frequency order. I find Whatsapp audio messages capability outstanding, although limited to nearly 2 min in Samsung devices, it can reach the 5-min mark in BB's, don't know about iP. In a string of ten 2-min messages I can say a lot more that trying to type those 20 min of conversation, and it also sounds more personal, quasi tete-a-tete. Does anyone know what other apps with this audio function are there?

Axel Lucas
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 23, 2013, 11:13:15 AM via Website

From long time I am using whats app and Viber , But still I am searching for a chat messenger that is more advanced specially with security purpose.
Often I share my official documents through it , so i felt sometime they are not that much secure.

Roshelle Taylor

Sep 24, 2013, 8:07:28 AM via App

yahoo messanger

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Sep 24, 2013, 1:11:36 PM via Website

I love to be one either one among "WhatsApp" or "Line".... Both are just so good. But WhatsApp is the best.

David D.
  • Forum posts: 77

Sep 24, 2013, 1:42:08 PM via App

We Chat has got that audio feature as well as a walkie-talkie mode. See if that suits you. IMHO We Chat's UI is sluggish.

David D.
  • Forum posts: 77

Sep 24, 2013, 1:43:21 PM via App

Hey, what's up with BBM¿

lola

Sep 24, 2013, 8:34:42 PM via App

im looking for a good texting app..where is simple and easy..dont like whatsapp or tango ..

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 25, 2013, 12:53:43 AM via App

I've used Skype in the past. Don't like the visual affect it gives if the person on the other line has too many cookies though. Honestly, I haven't found one I like yet. The ones my friends use don't have very good security, don't trust using them. Rather talk to them in person for now.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 25, 2013, 12:54:01 AM via App

How about writing letters. ..............................

— modified on Sep 25, 2013, 12:56:09 AM

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

My1

Sep 25, 2013, 11:02:17 AM via Website

takes too long and isnt free...

MFG/Regards My1

Loie Favre

Sep 25, 2013, 11:11:54 AM via Website

There is definitely something romantic about writing letters and I love getting post cards in the mail! A lot less effort goes into simply typing some words and pressing send as opposed to sending something via mail, which makes this ''old'' way of communication so meaningful and a pleasure to receive. In terms of effeciency and getting in contact with my family and friends around the world, I'm really thankful for my various messengers on my phone.

nour eldin ali
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 25, 2013, 9:30:14 PM via App

Whatsapp Facebook messenger and Nimbuz

Hannighan

Sep 26, 2013, 1:08:27 PM via Website

Hangouts mostly!
And Whatsapp for the people that refuse to use Hangouts..

Chris Wolski
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 30, 2013, 2:05:19 PM via App

Line mostly... used Hangouts for a while but it was very buggy.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Oct 16, 2013, 1:25:00 PM via Website

Most of the time i use whats app.:bashful::bashful:

Kim Schulz

Nov 7, 2013, 10:40:45 AM via Website

I have yet to meet a person in my network that uses whatsapp for messages. A few uses Viber or skype but most uses hangout or facebook messenger though SMS is still the preferred messaging type around here.
Personally I prefer Hangout.

Loie Favre

Nov 7, 2013, 10:47:49 AM via Website

Yes, Hangouts is definitely growing! Though I find it odd that not many people you know use WhatsApp considering how popular it is. True, it isn't the best messenging service but it is simple enough for users of all difficulty levels and ages to use.
I installed the Google Experience Launcher on my Galaxy S3 a few days ago when it came out and I have to say that I really like having my SMS and hangout messages in one spot. Sure the launcher doesn't really replicate the real deal in every way (Google Voice doesn't work), but this part works for sure!

Kim Schulz

Nov 7, 2013, 12:38:26 PM via Website

I believe that it is mainly related to where you live in the world. Here in Denmark (Northern Europe) I rarely meet people that even know of Whatapp (they might know it but never use it). On the other hand SMS and MMS is usually free with most mobile plans so we have always just used to using that (bare in mind that we used to be the number one country in the world sending more SMSs pr capita than any other country out there).
Facebook have become very popular around here and hence the FB messenger have been the chat most teens and tweens use.

At the moment I am teaching all my iSheep friends to install hangout so they can chat/call/videochat with the rest of us out here.

Rajesh Kumar
  • Forum posts: 16

Nov 26, 2013, 5:58:46 AM via Website

I use FB and Gmail messanger for chat. FB for friend circle and gmail for work.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 25

Dec 13, 2013, 3:03:37 AM via Website

yahoo messanger

Ckilastarcmoi

Dec 24, 2013, 3:43:56 AM via App

whatsapp messenger but i cannt find it shit --'

Berend Werkman

Dec 27, 2013, 1:51:38 AM via Website

Whatsapp and bbm

pluglesstech
  • Forum posts: 67

Jan 22, 2014, 1:14:32 PM via Website

I always use whatsapp. It's lovely to use again and again...

Androidfreeapp

Jan 23, 2014, 3:24:09 PM via Website

Viber, Whatsapp

Turmin
  • Forum posts: 12

Feb 19, 2014, 12:51:38 PM via Website

My1

Feb 21, 2014, 2:26:37 PM via Website

from now on I use Threema and whatsapp will be crossed out when it expires (5 Dec 2014)

MFG/Regards My1

maplelegend
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 26, 2014, 3:43:26 PM via Website

whatsapp

SmileX
  • Forum posts: 20

Feb 27, 2014, 8:00:40 AM via Website

Mostly WhatsApp.

Loie Favre

Mar 12, 2014, 12:29:07 PM via Website

This is an interesting question right now, just for the fact that WhatsApp is losing tons of users because they were bought by Facebook.

Users are now more inclined to use apps that they feel or know will better protect their private data.

Here are some of those apps:

• Telegram
  • Surespot
  • Kontalk
  • Threema

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Mar 18, 2014, 7:28:36 AM via Website

Facebook | Yahoo | Google hangout | Viber | whatsapp | nimbuzz
using all of them but WHATSAPP and FB are my favorite

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

Brian McLaughlin

Mar 18, 2014, 12:37:03 PM via Website

as most people here I mainly use Whatsapp, simply because everyone is on it... I would prefer a service with more secure protocols though. Not sure if Threema & Co can really offer this or if they're just riding on that wave of insecurity the NSA scandal has caused with people.

Tooleap
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 23, 2014, 2:23:27 PM via Website

After some reports about whatsapp not being secured and the recent acquisition by Facebook, Telegram gained some popularity. Last i've heard, it was very popular in germany.

magez

May 1, 2014, 3:56:05 AM via Website

I use skype for my job and facebook for entertainment.

carlsmileee
  • Forum posts: 19

May 1, 2014, 9:34:02 AM via Website

Mostly Whatsapp, sometimes Facebook.

Satheesh Kumar
  • Forum posts: 20

May 2, 2014, 4:52:01 PM via Website

Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger.

Bellacola
  • Forum posts: 8

May 8, 2014, 1:01:22 PM via Website

Whatsapp, I am used to it.

Brian Lester
  • Forum posts: 18

Jun 10, 2014, 1:07:33 PM via Website

Mostly WhatsApp, Facebook messenger and sometimes Viber.

Ilya Andriushin

Jun 11, 2014, 6:02:26 AM via Website

Kik messanger

Michael Mendoza
  • Forum posts: 14

Jun 18, 2014, 10:24:50 AM via Website

whatsapp