HTC One mini — Movies on the mini

• Replies:5
Nick Harman
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 18, 2013, 6:18:48 PM via Website

Well I just got an HTC 1 Mini and I like it a lot

The movie thing is a puzzler though. When I connect to PC as a USB device where on the Mini are movies supposed to go? And what plays them?

After a lot of head scratching I placed my movies into Pictures

They don't show up in Gallery but I installed VLC and it sees them automatically and can play them, albeit a bit stuttery.

Is there not a Movies folder or directory? Or a movie player?

Thx

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 19, 2013, 3:46:34 PM via Website

Hey Nick, off the top of my head (I don't have a One mini at hand) I would say all you need to do is create your own Movies folder if there isn't already one on the phone. You can do this from within the file manager on your phone or via the PC when the phone is plugged in. Then you just set that folder as the source for your movie player if it doesn't scan movie files automatically. let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Nick Harman

Aug 19, 2013, 4:04:12 PM via Website

Thanks,

I dont think there is such a thing as File Manager on the phone

I created a Movie directory in the top using the PC and put a mp4 in it as you suggested

But the way to now find the mp4 on the phone is to launch VLC (which lists and plays ok, thanks)

but is there no app onboard the mini that should play movies?

N

darren ward-davies
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 21, 2013, 7:05:10 PM via Website

Hey N

I might be able to help you out with this as i am an owner of the One mini also :)

What i have personally done is created a folder on my device storage and named it 'Movies' and i place and videos etc into here. To do this just plug you phone into your pc, let the drivers install, close down htc sync if it starts up as no need to use it for this. You should then get a 'Autoplay' box appear on your computer screen. Click on 'open device to view files' then it will show you the remaining storage you have left, double click on the storage and then anywhere on there right click with your mouse and select 'new folder'. You will then have the option to rename it. Once done you can just 'drag and drop' your files from your computer to your phone.

With regards to playing the movies, i think the One mini plays most file types and by having created the folder you should find that the files should show up in the 'Gallery' application. You then have the option to play them from here. There is a built in player on the device there is no option or app shortcut for the video player. The only time i have seen an option to select the 'video player' is when you have another 3rd party player installed from the play store and then sometimes it will ask which player you wish to use. There are several good ones on the play store and as i can see you have already found one of them in VLC which is very good. Another one i would recommend (i personally use) is 'Dicepalyer'. Lots og great options to vary the speed so it syncs with the sound correctly, also the ability to increase volume upto 400% so great if your file is very quite and it plays blue ray rips so worth having a look at.

Hope this helps

Glad to see someone else with the phone and is enjoying it...was starting to think i was the only person who owned one :grin:

Darren

Nick Harman

Aug 21, 2013, 7:15:40 PM via Website

thanks

It is a rather roundabout and non intuitive way of playing videos that the mini has, but once worked out it works well.

I like the mini although as days pass I find some things a little trying, it seems to have a weak aerial. Even here in London, hardly the back of beyond, it rarely shows a strong signal, frequently loses signal and takes minutes to find a signal when coming out of the Metro, My Blackberry curve would get a signal before I even left the station

And I would prefer the icons to be less sensitive, they seem to launch apps on the slightest touch.

But at least I can play movies now, although as a way of depleting an already weak battery they are way too efficient!

darren ward-davies
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 21, 2013, 8:09:05 PM via Website

Nick Harman
thanks

It is a rather roundabout and non intuitive way of playing videos that the mini has, but once worked out it works well.

I like the mini although as days pass I find some things a little trying, it seems to have a weak aerial. Even here in London, hardly the back of beyond, it rarely shows a strong signal, frequently loses signal and takes minutes to find a signal when coming out of the Metro, My Blackberry curve would get a signal before I even left the station

And I would prefer the icons to be less sensitive, they seem to launch apps on the slightest touch.

But at least I can play movies now, although as a way of depleting an already weak battery they are way too efficient!

Maybe its just the change from Blackberry to Android? Might just take a bit of adjusting to..

Cant say i have had any issues around signal quality. I am on three (3) and live in the south west but travel to Reading/Bracknell area most days for work. I would agree that call quality is not as good as Blackberry though. I have previously owned the z10 and that was very good. Its not HTC's strongest point. The HTC One (m7) i owned had lots of problems with this, glad they are not there on the One mini though.

I have found the phone to have ok battery time (lasts the day which is all i expect) when just checking emails and a few calls however when you do start using it for streaming (i use netflix) or watching vids it does really take it out of it.