Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3

• Replies:96
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 2, 2013, 3:09:56 PM via Website

Performing a Factory Reset on your device is very easy. If you don't know what a Factory Reset is, here's a quick definition:

Factory Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. A Factory Reset wipes everything, including the contents of your internal SD Card (photos, files, music etc). Whatever Android version you last installed will be the version you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory Reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Factory Reset of a Samsung Galaxy S3 from within the menu settings:

Settings > Personal > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All.

(If you'd like a more detailed walkthrough, check out our full factory reset the Galaxy S3 article.)

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

Remember sometimes you don't need to go even this far to solve problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up some simple problems.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card or SD card contents just take them out before you do the Factory Reset. Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

— modified on Oct 20, 2015, 5:04:50 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Nafe KarrimKDS

Donny Fong
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 27, 2014, 3:04:39 PM via Website

Hi Admin. I am using Samsung S3 and I had just did the Factory Reset. May I know where is all my data being back up to? I couldn't recover my data especially all my phone friends numbers and sms/ texts messages. Please help me to recover? Thanks!

— modified on Jan 27, 2014, 3:05:29 PM

Kris Carlon

Jan 27, 2014, 3:29:18 PM via Website

Hi @Donny, that depends where you backed up your data to. If you backed up your data to your Google account you should be prompted to restore your data when you sign back into that account after the reset. Otherwise, I assume you would have backed up to an app and saved your data either on your external SD card or the cloud? In that case, you simply need to follow that app's restore procedure.

If you didn't actually back anything up before you did the reset you can still recover your data as long as you haven't saved anything over the top of the old data. I wrote an article about that recently: www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-deleted-text-messages
The guide is for text messages, but the programs I use can recover contacts, emails etc too. Just be sure that in future you back everything up and know how to get it all back before you reset!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Shari Aldossari

caitlyn thompson

Jan 29, 2014, 3:46:08 AM via Website

I just factory reset my S3..... now it will not go past the Samsung start up screen, what should i do !!!!!

Kris Carlon

Jan 29, 2014, 5:46:00 PM via Website

Hi @Caitlyn, never fear. It's called a bootloop and it's pretty common. You can pull the battery and wait a while then retry (which you've probably already done). Then you can try to enter Recovery mode, which is (from powered off), press and hold Power, home and volume down until you get the recovery screen. From here you can do a wipe cache partition and, if necessary, another factory data reset. This should clear up the problem. If not try to restore your previous backup via Nandroid or whatever you used, and if all else fails you can try connecting to Odin and reflashing a stock ROM and trying again.

pixy

Jan 29, 2014, 6:41:29 PM via Website

I have samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 3G, my phone is suddenly got into black screen ( sounds are audible), phone receive calls and messages. I tried hard reset as per below procedure but no help, kindly suggest me the alternative.

Thank is advance.

KahRah Renee

Jan 30, 2014, 8:44:30 AM via Website

I have a quick question!!!
I tried to factory restore my galaxy s3 and now it is stuck on a black screen with the word Samsung across the middle and it is glowing blue around 'samsung'.
Does that mean it is still working on the reset or what?
I've tried taking the battery out, tried charging it, tried the home power down buttons and it just restarts and goes back to this screen.
Help would be greatly appreciated because its a fairly new phone and I'm scared!

CLK

Jan 31, 2014, 11:52:48 AM via Website

Yesterday I performed a factory reset of my S3 which had been buggy since 4.3 upgrade (I couldn't add to Contacts or modify). I backed up everything, and the recovery shows 1442 Calendar items restored, but all my prior Google Calendar data is missing and S3 Google Calendar no longer syncs at all, doesn't retain new items, and has wiped Google Calendar on all my devices including desktop. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google Calendar on S3, to no avail. Hoping you can help since I really need Google Calendar and the old data too. Thanks.

Belinda Oakman
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 3, 2014, 3:23:47 AM via Website

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 which I have not been using since it crashed 3 months ago. Samsung and Telstra Australia both told me the phone needed to be reset and it would work again. However they also said I would lose all my data as phone was not synced to my computer. Because the photos in particular are very precious to me I have been living in Hope that. I will find someone who can tell me how I can retrieve my photos and contacts before or after I do the reset. I have come across this site and seen information that makes me feel there is some Hope. Does anyone think they can help me.
Many. Thanks,
Belinda

Belinda Oakman

Feb 3, 2014, 4:41:39 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

I have already posted a message on the. Forum today re my issue with my samsung Galaxy3. I see in one of your answers to someone lose you say "it depends where you have backed up your data before doing the reset" or something similar.
Am I correct in thinking there may be a way to back up my photos ( most important) & maybe my contacts before doing a reset to get phone going again?

Thanks for your time,

Belinda

Belinda Oakman

Feb 3, 2014, 10:59:23 PM via Website

Hi Kris,
Sorry to bother you again. I am a reasonably computer literate 65yr old but no tech head and I think maybe I am asking the impossible with my last two query posts re galaxyS3. WhatI have read on your posts re this lead me to think It may be possible but I have been told by family that because all I had in the phone was my SIM card and there was no SD card then I will not be able to retrieve my photos. My SIM card is now in a loan phone just so I can make and receive calls on my number.
What I can see in the S3 when I look in the back is the battery! and then below it 2 square metal cards silver with what appears to be some blue tape on them .the one on the left being slightly smaller than the right hand one.
What are these?
Is there nowhere in this device where my contacts and photos would be stored? How can it be that I was able to acces them to look at,use etc before the malfunction and now they are not there. Not anywhere? Or just not accessible?

I will be very grateful for any light you can shed on this for me please.

Regards,
Belinda

Ashwin Garg

Feb 4, 2014, 12:16:19 PM via Website

Dear Kris,

Thanks for your info on S3 Reset. Very informative and helpful. You are exceedingly patient and detailed in your replies to everyone.

Just have one question

I did a backup of my S3 via Kies 3.0 It seems only Kies 3.0 can backup my device after upgrading to android 4.3

Will I be able to get all my data from this backup after a factory reset?

I would like to go back to the original software in the hope that all the glitches I am facing after upgrading can be reversed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Regards,

Ashwin Garg.

Kendra Andrews

Feb 5, 2014, 10:27:30 PM via Website

Hey!

I just recently got a Galaxy S4 (recently as in, last night). I upgraded from an S3, and would like to return it to the factory settings. I've done everything a hundred times at least, and it keeps making me put in my lock pattern and password over and over and OVER again. It's quite annoying. So I searched the internet machine and found this website, and tried your suggestions and none of them worked. Is there some other way of resetting this thing before I throw it at the wall?

Shefqet Lika

Feb 6, 2014, 3:02:27 PM via Website

I have an samsung galaxy s3 (dubai version) and it is blocked because of to many mattern attempts and my internet conection and wi-fi are turned off....
please can anyone tell me how can i unblock it or factory reset ??? :(((( please ....

Kris Carlon

Feb 7, 2014, 4:42:26 PM via Website

@CLK, after a reset if there's any weirdness with apps showing up data, just go to App manager and clear the cache for that app. Your data should appear properly after that. If it says its restore 1500-odd calendar events then you've saved them fine.

Kris Carlon

Feb 7, 2014, 4:45:32 PM via Website

Hi @Belinda, I actually just wrote about this yesterday. Check out this article on recovering lost data. The main thing is to act quickly, but if you haven't been using the device then your photos etc might still be intact, especially if nothing has been written over the top of your memory.

Even if you have no luck recovering straight away, copy your entire memory card contents over to your computer. Even if there's lost data on it you can still copy lost data - weird I know - and then work on the recovery from your computer while you reset your phone and try to get it running smoothly again. Once your phone is reset there's no going back though, any data on there is gone for good, so make sure you make a copy first.

As for the back of your S3, the two little blue squares are the SIM card slot and the microSD card slot. That's where you can add your own memory to the existing memory in the phone. If you didn't have a memory card in there then your data - and the stuff you lost - is in the internal memory on the phone. There could be some corruption, or some other malfunction. But with some software on your computer - usually available as a free or trial version - you have a very good chance of getting back your photos.

— modified on Feb 7, 2014, 4:52:11 PM

Kris Carlon

Feb 7, 2014, 4:55:56 PM via Website

Hi @Ashwin, my advice when it comes to backing up is to do it. Then do it somewhere else. Then do it again.

So I'd backup with Odin, and copy your essential files (photos, sms, contacts etc) to your computer regularly, and then use an app as well like Titanium or Carbon for Android. The more backups the better if you're at all worried about losing your data. Most of these can be set up to occur automatically too and be stored on your external microSD card, your computer when it's connected or the cloud. All are good options. Once burnt, twice careful!

So just backup, reset and then restore. If Kies doesn't prompt you to do it, then you have the app restore option and if that fails too then at least you've got the most important stuff on your computer!

Regina Villacorte
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 8, 2014, 12:02:28 PM via Website

Hello :)

I just want to ask if doing a factory reset for my s3 would help the issue I am having with the latest update to the 4.3 firmware?

I am having a hard time using my phone because some apps won't open and pop-ups like "Messaging has stopped" are constantly appearing. Same with Internet, Instagram, Viber and other apps particulary communication/social apps.

Also, if resetting my phone would be helpful, what kind of reset should I do, and how should it be done?

I've been stuck with this problem/issue for a week now. I hope you'll get to read this.

A response from you would be highly appreciated =)

:D

SC Chua

Feb 9, 2014, 6:08:00 AM via Website

Hi, i am facing the same problems as Regina Villacorte. I tried to do Hard Reset Samsung Galaxy S3 with Hardware Key but the problems still appear once login to window, is it ready to do formatting?? Please help us on this. Thanks a lot.

Regina Villacorte

Feb 9, 2014, 8:24:46 AM via Website

I tried to do the factory resetting thing just a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, the problem is still there. I still can't open apps.. should i do hard reset? Or will it be the same? Please reply. We would really appreciate every advice. :)

Najme Kishani

Feb 9, 2014, 1:22:25 PM via Website

Hi Mr. Administrator,
I did hard reset my Galaxy S3 (Going to recovery mode, wipe out data, and then reboot the system). However, it gets back to the flashing Samsung page, and stuck there.
Originally, I updated my phone. While installing the updates it got stuck on the Samsung screen. I tried hard reset, no improvement though. What should I do?

So many thanks for your help.

Sarah McPhillipsJennifer PickerillChristopher GillJulia

jay

Feb 10, 2014, 5:14:34 PM via Website

Dear Admin, please you really have to help me on this one please... This is what happened, I did factory rest on my samsumg galaxy S3 but I made a few mistake because I did not remove the memory card. During the factory set, it got to a stage and it reboot and I clicked on reboot and after the phone rebooted it was only showing samsung home page and did not go from them. I removed the memory card and I also removed the battery and I put the battery back again and restarted the phone, but the phone still remain on the samsung home page only.. It can't go beyond there and I dont know what to do, please direct me...

Kris Carlon

Feb 11, 2014, 12:11:33 AM via Website

Hi @Regina, a factory reset could help your app crash issues, but it's not guaranteed. The S3 problems were fairly consistent but everyone seemed to get a slightly different problem recipe, so the solutions were equally as individual. A factory reset couldn't hurt, so long as you back everything up first. I would suggest the apps I mentioned above to back up your data and apps, and then copy all of your contacts and pictures etc to your computer just to be sure, then do a factory reset, or, if you're comfortable, follow the hardware button combinations to do a hard reset and wipe your cache partitions etc as well. Let me know if you have any issues.

@Najme and @Jay, if you get stuck on a bootloop, just connect to Odin and reflash stock firmware again. Then once you reboot after that you should be able to do another factory reset and then restore all your apps and data from backup.

— modified on Feb 11, 2014, 12:14:39 AM

S N

Feb 18, 2014, 12:11:04 AM via Website

Hi
My Samsung S3 when hooked to computer doesnt recognise the device which it used to before. So now I cant transfer any photos/videos and save them. I have been doing google back up. When I go to factory reset, it says all data from google may be deleted. After the factory reset - all I care is my photos and videos being safe on google backup. Please tell me is it ok to factory reset? Thks

simon freidal

Feb 18, 2014, 8:41:50 PM via Website

I just got a an old samsung galaxy S3 phone back, after it has been gone for almost a year. Only the phone with no cards and i dont even remember the slide code on the screen. What can i do to solve that problem, ? Is not possible to delete all files on the phone from a computer and upload new files withc are factory standard?
thanks

Carrie Higginbotham

Feb 19, 2014, 6:13:58 AM via Website

Hi I did the reset by pressing the home, power down key, and power button and am stuck on a downloading screen...what next?

younus

Feb 20, 2014, 8:15:13 PM via Website

Bro whatever you do not update your s3 because its a dubai version and update of android will not work and about your problem search on youtube or check androidpit

Denis Bildea

Feb 23, 2014, 5:00:05 PM via Website

Hi Kris , i have a problem , i can get sms from my girlfriend , but if i sent to him a message she dont get him why ? , i fi call him it's ok , but she dont get my messages why?

edward canoy

Feb 24, 2014, 1:30:23 PM via Website

Hi Admin,

I just did a "Factory Data Reset" on my s3, and it went into the bootloop that you're talking about. But does it take long?!?!? Because it's been stuck on "T-Mobile 4G LTE" for a long time now. Then I even tried the Hard Reset, but it did the same thing. Please help asap. I don't know what to do. And I'm sorry, what is Odin?

Paul Cano

Feb 24, 2014, 4:45:42 PM via Website

Hi Kris,

I just have a quick question for you. I did a factory reset on my girlfriends Galaxy S3, thinking she backed up her pictures or save them to her sd card. But of course she didn't and now I deleted over 700 memories for her. And she is pretty upset with me. So I was just wondering if the pictures might still be on the phone or if there was any way i can get them back? please get back to me as soon as possible, the balance of my relationship depends on it. no pressure.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Paul Cano

— modified on Feb 24, 2014, 5:00:11 PM

Tu Pham

Mar 12, 2014, 7:58:29 AM via Website

hey i just did a hard factory restore and i was wondering how long does this take and can you reply to asap cause im in very big trouble.
if there is a way to make it run fast can you tell me. PLEASE

Gabriel Elguea

Mar 19, 2014, 3:51:11 PM via Website

Hello. I'm Gabriel

I have a Galaxy S 3 and I just did the Factory Reset , First by backing up my data, but when the phone was rebooting the screen just froze in the Samsung logo , its just endlessly glowing and I've also tried the hard Factory Reset by pushing the Volume up button , powerbutton and home , and the same result. Before this , the phone was working fine , I was just trying to Unlock it to use another sim card , Do you have any Idea what could cause this or how do I fix it ?

Thank you

Jessica MorschJulia

Kris Carlon

Mar 20, 2014, 3:31:14 PM via Website

Dude! Bad move @Paul! Sorry I missed this post - I hope you're still together. As long as you haven't saved anything else onto the phone you have a 99% chance of getting everything back. Just use some recovery software like the ones listed in this article: www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-lost-data

Best of luck!

— modified on Mar 20, 2014, 3:31:37 PM

Kris Carlon

Mar 20, 2014, 4:21:53 PM via Website

Hi @Gabriel, if you're stuck in a bootloop you could connect to Odin and flash the firmware you already have on your device, then you should be able to reboot and restore your content.

Julia

Tanya Newmarch

Mar 21, 2014, 3:53:05 AM via Website

I reset my phone, but it went turn back on. Did I do something wrong? What do I do to get it to turn back on? Thanks for the help.

Tan Yee Qian EPh

Mar 22, 2014, 7:50:51 AM via Website

I have a problem of my Samsung mega. My S planner missing root. I'm not able to open the main screen cause the system keep says that my S planner force to close. The main screen was 'hang' and I'm no able to fix back my problems. But my number pad is able to open and I know a way to format my hphone with key in the number (*#xxx*#) but I don't know the code... can you please help me ?

Maureen Aurelus

Mar 25, 2014, 10:37:47 PM via Website

Hey I have a galaxy s3 the screen is broken is it possible I could reset it to factory data without using the screen
Thank you

William Beeman

Apr 2, 2014, 7:48:38 PM via Website

Hi
I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I could not boot up past the initial screen. In fact the phone kept turning off and restarting. It sounds very much like this boot loop. I tried a hard reset, and I got the image of the little Android and the spinning matrix, but it wouldn't even boot up the reset screen. Again it turned off and tried to turn on again (and again). Is there any way to get beyond this?

William Beeman

Apr 2, 2014, 7:52:08 PM via Website

Hi!
Your constant advice is to "connect to Odin" to solve bootloop problems but I can't find out how to do that. Can you direct me to the procedure?

Best,

Bill

Kevin C

Apr 2, 2014, 8:23:41 PM via Website

I have experienced some of same issues as others after the 4.3 update. The phone was awesome before the update, terrible after. My android os showed using 85% of my battery. I would have a full charge st 7 a.m and by noon, the phone was dead. Performed a hard reset. It has fixed the battery issues for now. My wifi is still unstable, and I no longer get new text notifications on my lock screen. Before the reset I was receiving the text notifications on the lock screen. I have looked at my settings and in should be receiving them. Phone it's starting to get laggy again, only 3 weeks after reset. Any suggestions?

skylur bryson
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 3, 2014, 8:26:45 PM via Website

hello, so my problem is my screen went out on my galaxy s3 and i have a back up that i took in to at&t to have switched but when i did the service tech there went to factory reset the phone (i have done it on the one with a broken sceen many of times did think it would be a problem but) and it wants me to reboot the os and i have tried by using kies and every time i do i get the same recovery code i dont want to jb the phone if i dont have too
rite now the phone says

PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warenty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 2
SW REV CHECK FAIL: Fuse 2 > Binary 0

can u help me ?

Kris Carlon
Hi @Ashwin, my advice when it comes to backing up is to do it. Then do it somewhere else. Then do it again.

So I'd backup with Odin, and copy your essential files (photos, sms, contacts etc) to your computer regularly, and then use an app as well like Titanium or Carbon for Android. The more backups the better if you're at all worried about losing your data. Most of these can be set up to occur automatically too and be stored on your external microSD card, your computer when it's connected or the cloud. All are good options. Once burnt, twice careful!

So just backup, reset and then restore. If Kies doesn't prompt you to do it, then you have the app restore option and if that fails too then at least you've got the most important stuff on your computer!

Kris Carlon

Apr 10, 2014, 6:23:10 PM via Website

Hey @Maureen, yes, you can still do a reset with a broken screen, you just need to know the steps (YouTube can help you with that). The question is why you would want to? It makes more sense to get the phone repaired first no?

Safwan

Apr 16, 2014, 11:24:06 PM via Website

Hello,

I have S3 GT-I9300. My phone is also going thru a boot loop. I have tried clearing the cache but no use. I guess i have to do wipe data from recovery. Is there a way i can backup my data (pictures, videos etc.) before i proceed with the wipe? Its not getting connected with my PC as well.

skylur bryson

Apr 22, 2014, 10:23:02 PM via Website

the phone is powered up it was having screen failur for about a month be for it went out i will refur this phone as the blue galaxy

skylur bryson

Apr 22, 2014, 10:24:31 PM via Website

the red galaxy is needing help

Bianca Bui

Apr 23, 2014, 11:34:15 AM via Website

hi my samsung galaxy s3 was turned off/flat. i then plugged it in and turned it back on but now it is saying 'Device Memory Damaged' and then has a reset button, i don't want to click on the reset button because i will lose all my photos as i havnt back them up but it will not let me get out of this.. how can i get out of this without losing everything currently on my phone?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 23, 2014, 11:49:42 AM via Website

@Bianca Well, I don't think that you can do anything more than pressing the Reset button :'( !! I would say press the reset button and after than user some image recovery software to get your data back. :)

Belinda Oakman

May 1, 2014, 3:05:20 AM via Website

Hi. Kris,
Thank you very much.Hard to believe I. Know, but since Feb we have been flat out travelling here&there and also with family & friends staying and I have had no time to pursue the recovery of my photos. I just came back onto your site to find an advert I saw there in Jan/Feb .It was an ad for a company in. Sydney,Australia who for a fee will check the phone to see if the photos etc can be retrieved .Then for an extra larger fee they can recover them if it's found to be possible. I am so desperate. I am probably prepared to give them a go if we can't do it ourselves ,however I can't find the ad any longer.Any ideas re what that business would have been.
In meantime my son-in-law, who is much more computer savvy than. I and who works as web developer etc , will take a look at what you have written me and see if he can find some software to do the job, as you mentioned.Any ideas of names to search for?
Thank you so much for your help and patience so far. I wish Inhad got back into this weeks/months ago but have been using loan phone and too busy to focus on problem that consumes me when I do

Belinda