Remove multiple contacts, its un-sync'd already! WHY ARE THERE STILL ENTRIES!!!!!???

• Replies:5
Rikky Shah
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 30, 2012, 4:54:16 PM via Website

Please help me, i am in danger of throwing my phone away.

Using a HTC one X (not as good as its hyped up to be)

Ive somehow (and quite frustratingly) got duplicate entries for the same contacts.

They do not show in my contacts list, only when i search for a contact 2-5 entries are shown.

Ive searched the web, removed the contacts from my google account, un-syncd my facebook account BUT there are still multiple entries!

Please help me!

I do not want to link the contacts or any nonesense, i just want my original contacts with the telephone number (like the old nokia phones contact list)

— modified on Apr 30, 2012, 5:00:59 PM

Andreas V.
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 7,352

Apr 30, 2012, 6:03:57 PM via Website

Hi and welcome to AndroidPIT!

Do you use Whatsapp or something like this? Take a closer look at the Synch Menu, wich Accounts request a synchronisation.

Rikky Shah

Apr 30, 2012, 6:09:36 PM via Website

Hi Thanks,

I do use whatsapp but it has never duplicated contacts before for me,

I used whatsapp on my desire HD and that never duplicated contacts...

Also some entries have 3-4 so it cant only be whatsapp, i checked the sync settings, its switched off and set to manual sync.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 2, 2012, 4:06:26 PM via Website

Go into your contacts settings and hit menu. I was sure there was an option somewhere on the One X to delete duplicate contacts. It might be in your Gmail settings as well, as thats where they are actually stored.

I ll try to find where it was on my phone.

Try this method:

Visit contacts.google.com and login with your Google account which is in sync with the phone.
You will see three panels, on the left hand side panel select ‘My Contacts’ and you will see some options on the right most panel.
Select the option which says ‘Find Duplicates’, now Google will scan and provide you with some contacts that can be merged.
Now select particular contact options and then click on ‘merge’.
Your contacts will be automatically merged.

— modified on May 2, 2012, 4:07:37 PM

Rikky Shah

May 2, 2012, 4:35:25 PM via Website

Hi Eric

Thanks for your help :D, But i deleted ALL my contacts on Google Mail, Hotmail, Yahoo and anything thats not physically stored on my phone.

Adam Pieter
  • Forum posts: 1

May 8, 2014, 9:21:32 AM via Website

Android allows users to "Join" contacts, which merges the contact details of several records into one.
To "Join" contacts using your Android device:
1. Select a contact
2. Hit Edit
3. Hit the Menu button
4. Select Join
5. Select a matching contact in your list of contacts.
6. Hit Save or Done to finish editing the contact.
Alternative, you may follow this guide:
www.transphone.net/android-transfer/delete-android-duplicate-contacts.html

— modified on May 16, 2014, 8:58:01 AM