Rooting

• Replies:4
Denis Valentine
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 10, 2012, 5:25:51 AM via Website

Hi guys, as we know it the Xperia Active has limited internal memory for users, but comes with some pre installed applications which in itself takes some memory. I have a few questions :-

01) Is rooting advisable?
02) When downloading apps from the Android Market, such as task killer etc I find these apps not able to be moved to the SD card, does anyone know of or recommend some free apps such as task killer, file manager, download manager, with Xperia Active in mind, from the android market that once downloaded can be moved to the SD card so I can have more space in the internal memory?

Thanks a bundle guys.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 10, 2012, 10:31:50 AM via Website

I always use Super aTool Box but I don't know if it works on the active. However I'm sure that if you root the device and throw on a custom rom that it should, in theory, work fine.

In terms of rooting the Xperia active check out the link. The guy in the video pulled it off and the results aren't half bad.

Thinking about giving this a try?

Android News I Android Apps I > App Center

Denis Valentine

Jan 11, 2012, 3:48:42 AM via Website

Thanks Aaron, another question I have is, say I am downloading a video or Mp3 from the web but I don't want to listen or watch it immediately, how do I save it to the SD card for later viewing or listening? Recently I went on Wifi and wanted to download a short Mp4, but instead giving a choice to view immediately or save the download, it immediately played during download and that was that, was unable to save.

Another question, how do I get rid of the vibrating when keying in phone numbers, managed to cancel this feature for every task except that. Even downloading a sound manager from Android Market doesn't help. Any advise?

Apologies for asking too much, just trying to get used to the XA.

Thanks a bundle.

— modified on Jan 11, 2012, 4:31:47 AM

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 11, 2012, 12:59:13 PM via Website

If you can download the file then it either should do it just by clicking on the link. You can also try long clicking on the link to bring up the context menu, which will give your further options to either copy the link, open it in a new window or download the attached file. It should then be in your downloads folder which is normally on the phone. You can then use the super toolbox app I mention to move it where you want.

To turn off the vibrations go to settings> sound > haptic feedback and unclick the box. That should turn of the haptic feed back (aka vibration) when you hit soft keys.

Hope that helps and if you have more questions feel free to ask. That's what the forum is there for!

Android News I Android Apps I > App Center

Denis Valentine

Jan 12, 2012, 4:56:17 AM via Website

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I unclicked the haptic feedback, but when keying in the numbers the phone still vibrates. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S plus which had the same problem but when I downloaded the sound manager from the android market and canceled all vibrations, it does not vibrate anymore. Apparently this does not work for the XA.

Any other advice?

Thanks again.