Samsung Galaxy S2 — Samsung Galxy S2 won't make or receive calls

• Replies:19
Paul Dunne
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 5, 2012, 2:27:24 PM via Website

Hi,

Hope someonecan help me with this problem. Noticed one daya couple of weeks ago that my phone wouldn't take or receive calls, depsite never having this problem before. Phone just beeps when it attempts to dial and won't receive a call when anyone tries to dial my number. I found elsewhere a solution where changing network mode from GSM/WCDMA to GSM and back fixed the problem. However phone started with same problem this morning and this temp fix no longer fixes it. Network is ok and the phone will still send and receive texts.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I found the temp fix elsewhere on the internet so hopefully someone has another fix for this.

All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 5, 2012, 4:55:32 PM via Website

I've been looking around various Galaxy S2 forums and it seems like this is a pretty common problem for Galaxy S2 users. However the only sucess story I read suggested that there might be an account issue that is causing the problem. He described the same issue and said after contacting his carrier that they got the issue taken care of.

The only other option I can think of would be a factory reset but that will cause you to loose all data and will only work if the problem is a software issue.

Good Luck!

Paul Dunne

Jan 5, 2012, 8:26:45 PM via Website

Thanks Aaron,

I've overcome the issue temporarily by enabling packet data (I may have disabled in my frustration) and undertaking the method described before.

If I do a factory rest, I can restore the all my data if I back-up and then restore afterwards?

Also I saw a suggestion elsewhere to install a custom rom. I have some experience of this on previous iphone, but not on Android. I know it's a completely different topic but do you think this may be a solution (I understand that it may only fix the problem if it's software issue) but any danger/pitfalls in doing this. I can always search elsewhere on the forum for this info.

Failing any of these I will contact the carrier, use the phone as my main contact purposes for work so can't afford to be unable to make/take calls.

Thanks again,

P

Aaron Tilton

Jan 6, 2012, 11:34:00 AM via Website

A factory reset wipes all your data. Anything your save on your SD card will be saved but everything that is saved on the phone will be removed. If you sync your contacts to Google you can recover them just by syncing your phone to your account again but you'll have to redownload any apps you haven't saved to your SD card.

If you install a custom Rom it might help but it depends on the ROM. If you have some experience with ROMs that may be an option but it does carry risks if you don't know what your are doing. I'd recomend trying a factory reset first and seeing if that helps, if the choice is between factory rest and custom ROM if you've never done it before on an Android phone.

Hope that helps!

Paul Dunne

Jan 9, 2012, 7:07:40 PM via Website

Thanks,

Went to do a firmware recovery on Kries but it's asking for recovery code from a previous PC. This I don't have as I bought the phone from someone else.

Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks in advance,

P

Paul Dunne

Jan 9, 2012, 8:36:28 PM via Website

Actually, scratch that last post. Factory rest is on the phone!! Anyway completed factory reset, took the hit on loosing all the apps etc not saved on the SD card.

But didn't fix the problem - still no joy.

Running out of ideas fast!

Aaron Tilton

Jan 10, 2012, 10:47:10 AM via Website

If that didn't work then I'd really recommend calling your provider and asking them what the issue could be caused by. If a factory rest didn't work that means you either have a) a hardware issue or b) an issue on your provider's side. In any case I'd get them involved because I don't see many other options in terms of settings or tinkering with your phone. If you find out anything from your carrier post it here. I'm really curious to see what the problem could be.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 2:49:48 PM via Website

I had the same issue. My provider is TMobile which offers Voice Over WiFi, which I use whenever I can. I tried the various solutions given to you on this forum, but finally, I turned off my WiFi, restarted my phone, and cellular calls started working again.

Turned WiFi back on and things still work. I hope this helps.

Tooms

Steveo
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 6, 2012, 8:22:06 AM via App

My s2 had a similar issue. It corrupted a critical file & lost its iemi as well as all paired bluetooth data. If #*06* returns nothing you may have the same problem. The phone had been updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4. The cause is assumed to be immature software, 2.3.4. Solution motherboard change, expensive.

Steveo

Mar 9, 2012, 11:31:22 AM via App

Yes motherboard change. E2 was also corrupt. Is your IEMI intact?

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 13, 2012, 5:58:46 PM via Website

Boah..surely its cheaper to buy a new phone then change the motherboard...or?

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Mar 13, 2012, 9:21:22 PM via Website

Steveo
My s2 had a similar issue. It corrupted a critical file & lost its iemi as well as all paired bluetooth data. If #*06* returns nothing you may have the same problem. The phone had been updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4. The cause is assumed to be immature software, 2.3.4. Solution motherboard change, expensive.

No NO nO

just use Odin and re-install a 2.3.3 firmware. You should have your emei back. I have done this many times and it works. Also, your EMEI is on the original box that the phone was in... Once you have the 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 installed and EMEI is there just go ahead and install ICS 4.03

Look here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#regiona

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 14, 2012, 11:07:07 PM via Website

Christopher Silva
Steveo

No NO nO

just use Odin and re-install a 2.3.3 firmware. You should have your emei back. I have done this many times and it works. Also, your EMEI is on the original box that the phone was in... Once you have the 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 installed and EMEI is there just go ahead and install ICS 4.03

Look here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#regiona

The man speaks the truth!

Rakesh Pillai

Mar 4, 2013, 11:03:06 AM via Website

Hi,
I think I've got the solution to ur problem, rather our problem. I'd been facing this issue for a couple of weeks, during which I was not able to make any calls when my network mode is set as WCDMA or GSM/WCDMA auto. I called up my network operator and they were able to provide me a solution. In the call settings menu, inside Additional Settings, there is a setting for displaying the Caller ID in outgoing calls. I had changed this setting to 'Hide number', and that was the reason I wasn't able to make any calls in the WCDMA mode. After I changed it to 'Network default' or 'Show number', I was able to make calls even in the WCDMA mode. :) Hope this helps you too.

Mir Faqeerjan

Jul 20, 2013, 8:25:05 PM via Website

when my phone conect to the internet why incoming calls donot come samsung s2 plus

Mir Faqeerjan

Jul 20, 2013, 8:36:39 PM via Website

facing same reason incoming call,s are not coming when my phone conect to internet

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 22, 2013, 5:40:23 PM via Website

Hi Mir Faqeerjan, have you tried the fix mentioned by Rakesh Pillai in this thread? Perhaps there's a bug with your caller ID? Otherwise, try to provide me with as much information as you can and I'll see what I can find out. For example: is your phone rooted? What version of Android have you got on your phone? Do you ever receive calls when connected to the internet, or is it only some calls? And what kind of internet are you connected to? Wi-Fi or 4G/3G/2G? Have you contacted your carrier to see if they have any ideas or if it's a common problem?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jayr Villaraza

Jul 13, 2014, 4:57:40 PM via Website

Kris Carlon

Hi Mir Faqeerjan, have you tried the fix mentioned by Rakesh Pillai in this thread? Perhaps there's a bug with your caller ID? Otherwise, try to provide me with as much information as you can and I'll see what I can find out. For example: is your phone rooted? What version of Android have you got on your phone? Do you ever receive calls when connected to the internet, or is it only some calls? And what kind of internet are you connected to? Wi-Fi or 4G/3G/2G? Have you contacted your carrier to see if they have any ideas or if it's a common problem?

Sir, I have samsung s3 SHV e210K (korean version). My phone wouldn't take or receive calls. Phone just beeps when it attempts to dial and won't receive a call when anyone tries to dial my number. I found elsewhere a solution where changing network mode from GSM/GPRS to WCDMA and it fixed the problem. But it drains battery fast when Im in an area where no/little signal. I read a forum that when WCDMA mode is on it uses more battery etc.

My problem is, how to deal with this? factory reset can do?
I want my phone to work even with GSM mode to save battery.

PS: sorry bad english, pm you coz newbie here.
Thanks more power! (Filipino here)

Fred Smith

Sep 20, 2014, 2:15:53 AM via Website

Eric McBride

My s2 had a similar issue. It corrupted a critical file & lost its iemi as well as all paired bluetooth data. If #06 returns nothing you may have the same problem. The phone had been updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4. The cause is assumed to be immature software, 2.3.4. Solution motherboard change, expensive.

No NO nO

Look here:

The man speaks the truth!

How exactly do I do that? I went to the suggested page and there are over 2k topics.