Use GPS navigation offline with preloaded maps. Turn phone into GPS device.

• Replies:7
Enrico Melowitz
  • Forum posts: 22

Aug 5, 2011, 11:44:17 AM via Website

So I am looking for some (free) apps that will allow me to save maps to my Sd card and then use the phone's GPS to navigate - all without an internet connection. I've heard of it being possible, but I want to give it a try myself. I looked into Maps (-), but it wasn't the most user-friendly app in the world. any other suggestions?

Preston McGovern
  • Forum posts: 19

Sep 15, 2011, 3:49:59 PM via App

well on the HTC sensation there's an app called "locations" which can do what you need BUT you need to pay for the maps sadly. I'm from Scotland and as such got free perma map of the UK and a worldwide "trial" which ends middle of September (had phone for since it was out on vodaphone)

Did a check in the apps built in map store and found for an unlimited usage of a map of USA it'll cost me a onetime payment of 17.98GBP. Again not ideal but worth it imo if you use maps a lot plus a lot cheaper than that 200$ tomtom lol.

I'm not exactly the most tech savy when it comes to fiddling with a Droid phone but I'm smart enough. if the app tickles ur fancy an u know of a way for me to get it to you ill be more than happy if u don't have a HTC sensation.

hope the above sentencing ain't against any rules and regards.

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 5:07:51 PM by moderator

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 15, 2011, 4:17:39 PM via Website

Hah full on tomtom style navigation is hard to pull off with out a connection of some kind but I do use the maps feature to do somthing similar. I preload the maps before i go somewhere and then just let the normal GPS function take over... its not idea or 100% but if Ive preloaded the area I want to get around in (normaly 1 city like Berlin or Vinna) it works well.

Preston McGovern

Sep 19, 2011, 9:36:50 AM via App

Aaron Tilton
Hah full on tomtom style navigation is hard to pull off with out a connection of some kind but I do use the maps feature to do somthing similar. I preload the maps before i go somewhere and then just let the normal GPS function take over... its not idea or 100% but if Ive preloaded the area I want to get around in (normaly 1 city like Berlin or Vinna) it works well.

its nuts though, I have the locations app with preloaded maps and tomtom style navigation (completel with sexy American female voice ) but i also have a preinstalled fully functioning standalone tomtom app lol.... and then Google maps rofl.

I'd be a very sad man if I ever got lost =/

Jenny Preston
  • Forum posts: 47

Sep 19, 2011, 10:32:32 AM via Website

hah true! But those apps can be dangerious if you're not paying too much attention. I used to live in Austria and a guy in my town wrecked his car when Tomtom told him to drive down an ally that was smaller then his car. Not wanting to do too much thinking on his own he hit the gas and got his car wedged in between two 500 year old buildings. His car was wrecked and so were the buildings as they had to cut into the stone to get his car removed. :wacko:

Preston McGovern

Sep 20, 2011, 5:48:53 AM via App

Jenny Preston
hah true! But those apps can be dangerious if you're not paying too much attention. I used to live in Austria and a guy in my town wrecked his car when Tomtom told him to drive down an ally that was smaller then his car. Not wanting to do too much thinking on his own he hit the gas and got his car wedged in between two 500 year old buildings. His car was wrecked and so were the buildings as they had to cut into the stone to get his car removed. :wacko:

lol he's an idiot.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 20, 2011, 4:41:17 PM via Website

Agreed but stuff like that happens more often then you'd think. I think we all have a tendency to turn off the higher functions of our brains when we get orders from things like Navi systems. Not everyone does it but an alarming portion of socitey does. When I was still in Europe, I'd constantly read about people getting hurt in accidents just like that one because they just assumed they could trust their technology more then their own understanding... kind of sad but amusing as well.

johnthomson1114
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 30, 2014, 8:57:18 AM via Website

Hi

This is john, i had used the traffline app from ridlr for easy navigation and save maps with gps for riding a clear road way. i suggest you to use this app for your need and you can get the app from ridlr website.