how do you root and install a custom rom on a android device

• Replies:12
tim steels
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 13, 2010, 12:50:49 AM via Website

does anyone know how to install custom roms on a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini? any ideas?

cheers, tim

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 4:59:55 PM by moderator

tim steels

Oct 18, 2010, 6:52:44 PM via Website

ok thanks. my x10 mini is now rooted!

is there any way that i could install a custom rom on it now that the rooting process is complete?

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 5:00:28 PM by moderator

tim steels

Oct 19, 2010, 6:40:22 PM via Website

ok then.

what do you think will happen if i try and install a standard rom on the x10 mini then? would it brick my phone?

i dont really feel happy messing around with my phone if it will end up unusable, In which case, i may as well unroot my phone.

do you know of any home screen replacements that would work on the x10 mini? i tried all the ones from the market but they didn't work very well.

cheers,

Tim Steels

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 5:01:05 PM by moderator

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 20, 2010, 2:19:26 PM via Website

I wouldn't say that rooting is worthless just because you can't install a ROM on it yet.

As for the problem with home screen replacements, that may stem from your device's small screen resolution size, but it is not necessarily that. Which ones have you tried?

tim steels

Oct 21, 2010, 6:21:27 PM via Website

i have tried ADW launcher, helix launcher Donut, sweeter home, slidescreen, panda home, ahome mini and a few others, all of which kinda worked but they didn't work smoothly and took a couple of seconds to recognise a finger press.

if you know of any other ones that may work better, that would be great.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 22, 2010, 4:26:16 PM via Website

Unfortunately, all the one's I would've recommended to you, you already tried. Your best bet might be to wait until Android 2.1 comes out, and then give the home screen replacement another try. Maybe the Android 1.6 and your phone's CPU aren't powerful enough to get the job done. It isn't very likely, but who knows at this point?

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 5:02:00 PM by moderator

tim steels

Oct 22, 2010, 7:13:57 PM via Website

ok thanks android 2.1 is ment to be coming to the x10 mini at the end of the month but it has already been delayed from september to october so who knows.

i will do as you suggest then and try them again when 2.1 is out

i tried to get launcher pro but i couldn't find it in the android market for the x10 mini. can i download it from anywhere else?

cheers then,

Tim.

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 5:02:26 PM by moderator

Balaji Sadhanandam
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 28, 2011, 10:14:14 PM via Website

I have Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 min pro, upgraded to Android 2.1 through Sony Ericsson PC Sync. Android 2.1 is much better than Android 1.6, however lacks certain features of 2.2 like move2SD. I am using GO Launcher Ex, amazing launcher, highly customizable, user friendly. Also, I use GO SMS Pro, GO Keyboard Ex, GO Calendar, GO Weather, GO Note Widget, GO Task Widget, etc. Fantastic set of free applications, however they are a bit bulky and occupy a lot of space and make the phone a little slow at times. I have rooted the phone. Now I am trying to find a way to move my applications or data to SD. Looking for some help on the same.

tim steels
ok then.

what do you think will happen if i try and install a standard rom on the x10 mini then? would it brick my phone?

i dont really feel happy messing around with my phone if it will end up unusable, In which case, i may as well unroot my phone.

do you know of any home screen replacements that would work on the x10 mini? i tried all the ones from the market but they didn't work very well.

cheers,

Tim Steels

Pañiya King
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 3:44:53 PM via Website

how do you root and install a custom rom on a android device