Bluetooth connection between Legend and TomTom Go 950

• Replies:7
david chapple
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 15, 2010, 10:45:51 PM via Website

I have successfully paired and connected my Legend to my TomTom GO 950. I am able to make and receive calls and load the phonebook on to the 950.

However after the 950 has been switch off and then back on again I find that the 950 repeatedly tries to connect to the nearby legend (a ho;;ow computer voice drones on and on about it!)but the Legend does not respond.

What must I do to make the Legend automatically respond to a paired device which is trying to connect?

The legend shows that it is paired with the 950 but not connected to it.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 16, 2010, 12:54:44 PM via Website

I've paired Bluetooth devices before, so I'll try and help out some.

I just paired my handset with my laptop, and connected it twice, but it seems that after a minute or so, it loses the connection to the laptop, but remains paired.

There aren't many things on my phone that I can do in terms of bluetooth settings. I can turn on/off device visibility, I can turn bluetooth on/off, i can scan for devices, and I can attempt pairing with a device. The rest seems to come from the other device. Assuming you are always leaving you bluetooth connection on, I would recommend digging into the TomTom Bluetooth settings and see what you can do.

What exactly are you trying to do with the bluetooth connection between the devices?

david chapple

Aug 17, 2010, 2:24:24 PM via Website

I just want to have the incoming and outgoing calls routed through the sat nav.

I have no desire to send or receive messages or anything else.

Douglas Carter

Aug 17, 2010, 2:58:16 PM via Website

I looked on Wikipedia and it said that it should be able to make and receive calls, so that is interesting. What does the instructions booklet say about placing a call from the TomTom? Does it give instructions for only placing a call, or for connecting the devices as well?

david chapple

Aug 18, 2010, 10:12:47 PM via Website

Perhaps I should go back to nearer the beginning.

When I first paired my legend and Tomtom I could make and receive calls via the TT and I transferred the phonebook to the TT. After switching the TT off and then on again the two are still paired BUT NOT CONNECTERD (?).

I then tried to pair the phone with my laptop and the two paired successfully BUT WILL NOT CONNECT.

How do I get the phone to connect to the TT and the laptop?

As far as I can see the actions I can take on the Legend are very few and no mention is made of "connecting".

— modified on Aug 18, 2010, 10:14:33 PM

Douglas Carter

Aug 19, 2010, 11:37:32 AM via Website

Exactly, the phone has few options available.

TomTom
You may have to make your phone discoverable over bluetooth every time that you turn off your TomTom. Does the TomTom come with a manual telling you how to connect a device over bluetooth? I looked at your manual online and you can too. Go here, and look at page 42 in the bluetooth preferences section, and page 57.

PC
What kind of OS are you running on your computer, and what are you hoping to do with the phone-laptop connection? On XP, I go to control panel, bluetooth devices, select add, and then add my phone.

david chapple

Aug 19, 2010, 12:13:16 PM via Website

Hi Douglas. Thanks for all the help you are offering

I am running windows 7 on both my laptops.

I was just experimenting with Bluetooth connections when I connected (or tried to) my phone to the laptop. I was wondering whether |I could use Bluetooth to synchronise rather than a data cable. Later on I realised that the phone only charges when connected by cable so the Bluetooth connection to the laptop is not much use to me.

With the Tomtom I just wish to use the hands free capabilities.

The phone, as supplied, has very limited Bluetooth options. Can these be enhanced using an App?

On page 57 of the TT guide there is the following

Tips
• Make sure that you switch on Bluetooth® on your phone.
• Make sure that your phone is set to ‘discoverable’ or ‘visible to all’.
• You may have to enter the password ‘0000’ on your phone in order to connect
to your TomTom GO.
• Make your TomTom GO a trusted device

Tip 1 is easy to satisfy using the phone menu
Tip 2 is not so easy as it can be set to discoverable for only 120 seconds

It seems that i have to effectively pair it with the TT from scratch every time I use it.

— modified on Aug 19, 2010, 12:19:34 PM

Douglas Carter

Aug 19, 2010, 12:47:14 PM via Website

david chapple
Hi Douglas. Thanks for all the help you are offering

It seems that i have to effectively pair it with the TT from scratch every time I use it.

Yep. I believe there might be an app out there on the market that suits your needs. Take a look at Bluetooth File Tranfser from Medieval Software. Maybe that is what you are looking for? or PdaNet free edition?