Android 2.2 For G1

• Replies:5
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

May 21, 2010, 5:13:50 PM via Website

Gizmodo has a story which says that Android 2.2 will not receive official support by Google for Android 2.2 on the G1.

Don't give up hope though, as AndroidGuys is reporting that some people working on Android mentioned their belief that Cyanogen would be successful in creating a port for Android 2.2 on the G1. Apparently, it should "technically run" on a G1, so who knows what will happen.

Thomas Ropel
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 5, 2010, 2:42:50 PM via Website

As far as I know, the G1 only support Android 1.6?

John Smith
  • Forum posts: 3

May 4, 2011, 10:49:58 PM via Website

I am buying a T-Mobile G1 from a friend soon and he has not rooted it therefore it has Android 1.6. I have heard about Universal Androot so I can root the phone simply but other than that what do I do after that? I want to update it to Froyo (Android 2.2) but I'm not exactly sure how to do it after rooting the phone to Universal Androot...I am not really a tech geek so I don't really understand ROMs, RC30, etc that well so I am asking if you could please explain to me in simple terms, what do I do after I root the Android 1.6 on the G1 so that I can update to 2.2? Do I have to do any recovery system methods, etc? Thanks

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

May 4, 2011, 11:52:12 PM via Website

John Smith
I am buying a T-Mobile G1 from a friend soon and he has not rooted it therefore it has Android 1.6. I have heard about Universal Androot so I can root the phone simply but other than that what do I do after that? I want to update it to Froyo (Android 2.2) but I'm not exactly sure how to do it after rooting the phone to Universal Androot...I am not really a tech geek so I don't really understand ROMs, RC30, etc that well so I am asking if you could please explain to me in simple terms, what do I do after I root the Android 1.6 on the G1 so that I can update to 2.2? Do I have to do any recovery system methods, etc? Thanks

ReDirect to new thread: "Apps2SD-available-on-G1-Android-1-6"

— modified on May 4, 2011, 11:53:29 PM