WhatsApp group member's names no longer displaying

• Replies:8
pini37
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 26, 2019, 10:27:26 PM via Website

Hi,

I'm a member of a WhatsApp group (non-admin) where I am near 100% sure all members names where displayed with their posts and also with the numbers on the Group Info page.

This is no longer happening and am curious to know why. The only poster's name that shows in the top left corner of their post is the Admin and 1 person I have in my phone contacts.

Also, 3 other member's have a name in grey appear in the top right hand corner of the message (for example: "~ Mark").

I recently had a Galaxy S6 where believe all names where visible. I've changed over to my Galaxy A70 and though all chats etc have transferred I do notice the lack of names.

Can anybody advise?
Also,is it possible for an admin to prevent the display of members names in groups?

Hopefully the above is clear but please let me know if more info is required.

Many thanks,
Pat

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Sep 28, 2019, 4:24:33 AM via Website

It is said that a name will usually reappear (behind the phone number) when that group member sends a chat message. It looks like for new messages the name shows up but messages that were copied over using backup have no names.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
Sherin SEbrahim Shami
Ebrahim Shami

Jun 23, 2022, 3:44:40 PM via Website

you really helped me.

Helpful?
Sherin S

Nov 30, 2022, 2:40:59 PM via Website

Thanks, it really helped!!!

Helpful?
Alicja Brook
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 16, 2023, 3:11:38 PM via Website

I recently had a Galaxy S6 where believe all names where visible. I've changed over to my Galaxy A70 and though all chats etc have transferred I do notice the lack of names.

Helpful?
ahmed abdullah
  • Forum posts: 26

Aug 17, 2023, 5:24:06 PM via Website

Hi Pat,

It sounds like there might have been some changes in the group settings or the way members' names are displayed. The behavior you described could be due to a few reasons:

Privacy Settings: WhatsApp offers different privacy settings that allow users to control who can see their information. It's possible that some members have adjusted their settings to show their names to only certain people.

Group Settings: Group admins have the ability to modify certain group settings, including who can see member information. They might have changed these settings, which could explain the differences you're observing.

Device Change: Transitioning from one device to another could sometimes lead to changes in how WhatsApp functions. However, it's unlikely that the change in device alone would cause the specific issue you're experiencing.

App Version: If you updated WhatsApp or if your old Galaxy S6 was running a different version of the app, this could impact how member names are displayed.

Regarding your question about admins preventing the display of members' names, as of my last update in September 2021, WhatsApp doesn't have a built-in feature to completely hide all members' names in a group. However, admins do have control over various aspects of a group, so they might influence how names are displayed to some extent.

To get a better understanding of what's happening, you could try checking the group settings (if you have access to them) and comparing the settings on your A70 with your previous device. You might also want to reach out to WhatsApp support or seek assistance from other members of the group who might be more familiar with the app's recent updates.

I hope this helps shed some light on the situation! If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Helpful?
Tx Finds
  • Forum posts: 7

Sep 9, 2023, 2:20:06 PM via Website

This is because when you back up your chat history, the names of the people who sent the messages are not saved. When you restore the backup, the messages are restored, but the names are not.

This can be a bit confusing, especially if you are trying to follow a conversation that includes messages that were both sent and received before and after the backup was created.

To avoid this confusion, it is best to avoid copying over chat history from a backup. If you do need to do this, be sure to note which messages were sent before the backup was created and which messages were sent after.

Helpful?
Jim121FC
  • Forum posts: 17

Oct 19, 2023, 2:06:09 PM via Website

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by enabling the read receipts option.

Helpful?
Ellie401
  • Forum posts: 10

Dec 8, 2023, 4:23:06 PM via Website

The visibility of member names in a WhatsApp group is determined by individual privacy settings. Admins cannot control or prevent the display of member names. Check your contacts, privacy settings, and ensure everyone is using an updated app version.

Helpful?