Previously stolen sim reactivated, what will happen when I change number back?

• Replies:3
Danstar10
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 10, 2019, 2:31:01 AM via Website

Hi,
I'm a little confused about WhatsApp numbers and devices and what I should do in this situation. I'll try keep this brief!

I had my phone stolen abroad while travelling with my sim in.
I bought a new phone and sim. I couldn't transfer my WhatsApp account to the new number (let's call number B) as you need the old sim card (number A) so I made a totally new WhatsApp account I used for the rest of my travels with num B.
I am now back home and have managed to get a new sim with my old number (num A) from my provider.

I just put that in my new phone but if friends send to num B. I still get the messages, and I got no backdated message from num A account when I put the new sim in the phone.

Soooo. My question is, do I just need to use the change number feature on the new phone from num B to A, and I'll get all the backdated messages from my old number?

And there is no way to 'merge' the two accounts right...?

Cheers!
Dan

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Jan 10, 2019, 10:22:16 AM via Website

Hi Danstar10,

welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

Phone numbers are only used for the activation, after that WhatsApp doesn't really care for the number (other than checking if that number is used with WhatsApp).

So, sadly there is no way for you to get the old messages from Number A back if you didnt do a backup back then. WhatsApp does not store any messages on their servers, everything is handled locally. You can simply switch the number now in the settings and you will keep all the chats you had with Number B.

Helpful?
Danstar10
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 10, 2019, 6:24:19 PM via Website

I see, thank you. Do you think all the messages that were sent to number A while it was lost will come through when I change the number over?

Also, I should be able to change back and forth to the old and new numbers by changing it in WhatsApp now and again to check for messages?

Cheers!

Helpful?
Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Jan 10, 2019, 6:40:10 PM via Website

Hey,

that depends on how long Number A wasn't active in WhatsApp. Old messages are basically deleted after a while, I'm not sure how long that takes though.

You actually don't need to switch back as your contacts are being informed that you switched numbers in WhatsApp. They can simply keep sending you messages after you switched to Number A.

Helpful?
Danstar10