Lite Movie Database: IMDB or Wikipedia lite and offline

• Replies:0
Gabriel Capdevila
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 18, 2015, 12:17:40 AM via Website

Hi there!! I am currently studying software engineering and as a grad thesis I have developed an android application to browse a movie, series and actors/directors database. You may think, what´s the difference with IMDB or Wikipedia?? Well, this app has two big differences: it´s lite and it has offline functionality.

It´s lite because it only brings the absolutely needed information everytime you search something. For every movie, series or person you search it only downloads about 20kb or 30kb plus its image, which can be disabled or limited to wifi.

It´s offline because not only saves the articles that you have searched but it also synchronize with a server and authomatically downloads articles searched by other users. This way, you can access them offline later. This sync also doesn´t spend network data as it can be configured only for wifi use or it can be disabled.

For those interested, I tell you how it works. The info is taken from a Google´s Freebase API and, as it looks for articles it creates documents for a local NoSQL CouchDB database that syncs with a server. It´s a very shallow explanation but I don´t want to bore everybody. However, I will gladly explain it in a more detailed way to anyone who wants.

I bring here some pics and a link to the play store:

Cell phone:

Tablet:

Look for Lite Movie Database in the PLAY STORE
With this icon:

To sum it up, thanks to everybody that read up to here. I hope some of you are interested in the app, and those who don´t, if you just wanna download it and use it a bit , would be really helpful :D :D .

Thank you!!!!!