Samsung Galaxy S3 — Bricked Galaxy S3...?

• Replies:2
Tristan Beauregard-Choquette
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 21, 2014, 9:43:03 PM via Website

Hello,

I've tinkered around with my Galaxy S3 a little too much, and it currently is unusable. I will try to recapitulate every steps I've made until now, so that you get every details you need.

A few months ago, I've decided to root my Samsung Galaxy S3. Model is SGH-T999V which is a version sold by Videotron, a local eastern canadian company. I've rooted using Odin3 and the CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4 file.
The root was successful, however my device began slowing down considerably. I figured the version was very old, and this might have been the cause of it, so yesterday, I deciced to update my software (which was still in 4.0.4 for the initial rooting process).

Being using Triangle Away and SuperSU Pro, I was able reset flash counter, but the device was still considered "Modified". I've watched a few videos, and figured a trick that disabled SuperSU for several minutes after boot to allow for OTA updates, which worked. I let the updates do their things, went to sleep.

This morning, I wake up to a 4.1.2 version of Android. I believe this is not the latest version for my software, so I check again for OTA updates. My device still considered "modified", I try to reset flash counter by using Triangle Away. Here's where the ** hit the fan...

For some reason unknown to me, it seems the OTA update unrooted my device, because I cannot grant Superuser access to Triangle Away, nor can I access SuperSU. I download an app to verify my device is rooted, which tells me that my device is, indeed, unrooted. I then run download mode, which tells me that the flash counter reads 1 and the rest is custom... I read on a another forum that this issue can be resolved by "wiping cache" from recovery mode, but after doing that, my "firmware upgrade ecountered an issue". I believe this might be related to Kies screwing up my drivers or something, not sure. Anyway, the phone asks me to use recovery mode in Kies to fix this... but Kies cannot identify my phone when I plug it in!

I believe reflashing a rom through Odin3 can fix this issue, but for some reason, I get an error code and the installation fails. Here is the code:
Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
NAND Write Start!!
cache.img
FAIL!
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Help me as well as you can. I need my phone BEFORE tommorow ideally, so continuous assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and if you require additional information, I will do my best to provide.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Nov 22, 2014, 7:19:16 AM via Website

Try emergency firmware recovery from kies

1. Now make sure you’ve installed Samsung Kies on your PC.
  2. Pull-out Battery from your device and note down your S/N no or Serial Number of your device.
    3.Connect your device to PC.
  3. Now launch Samsung Kies and go to Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization.
  4. Now enter your device S/N or serial number you have noted earlier.
    6 .Now Kies will Prepare for Firmware upgrade for your device, just hit the ok option. After then Kies will start downloading the firmware upgrade components for your device. And it can take time, depending on your internet speed as well PC.
  5. Now follow instructions as stated on the below image and then click on the START UPGRADE
  6. After, it will start downloading the Firmware files for your device, as I said earlier, it will take time, depending on your PC and Network Speed.
  7. Then press update

Ready To Help You.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Nov 22, 2014, 7:22:41 AM via Website

Download the latest firmware and flash it with odin

Disable antivirus from pc
Use the USB port behind the cpu
Do not use an usb hub
try different versions of oidn

— modified on Nov 22, 2014, 7:23:20 AM

Ready To Help You.