Google Nexus 5 Stopped working

• Replies:17
David Dwyer
  • Forum posts: 8

May 9, 2014, 11:14:29 PM via Website

My google Nexus five has stopped working. All I see are four circles rotating and then converging into one circle.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

May 10, 2014, 1:49:35 PM via Website

You're in a boot loop. Did you turn the phone off, or did it do it itself? Have you installed any apps recently, plus is it completely stock?

Sinkster

David Dwyer

May 11, 2014, 7:50:08 PM via Website

My son turned it on everything was wiped. Turned on and had to enter details again but the keyboard didn't work. Turned on and off but only the google logo. Tried recovery mode. Turned off and on. Then circle boot animation. I am so angry a phone should work for more than a week. I have asked for my money back or another phone. I have decided on a replacement phone.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 12, 2014, 7:37:18 AM via Website

Well, It looks like you are experiencing problem with the firmware according to me it looks that your device firmware needs to be flashed again, you can do that yourself but if your are under the warranty then I would say seeking replacement is best for you. But I would rather think that what they are going to do is they will flash the firmware and give the device back to you. Anyway first try going for the replacement, but if you feel that you can do the flashing process let me know I'll share the steps to flash... :)

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

May 12, 2014, 10:17:52 AM via Website

Hey David,

If you have the possibility to get a replacement phone, I think you should go for it! If you've only had the phone for one week, that's pretty unacceptable to have one that craps out so soon! So, hopefully new one won't pose as many problems for you!

David Dwyer

May 12, 2014, 11:02:22 AM via Website

So do I. Thankfully we have very good consumer protection laws in Australia.

David Dwyer

May 12, 2014, 11:03:28 AM via Website

I will go down the replacement option first.

David Dwyer

May 12, 2014, 12:30:02 PM via Website

It would be good to know how to flash the firmware for future reference.

Lalit
  • Admin

May 12, 2014, 1:23:23 PM via Website

Well, @Loie I think you seem to missed something the OP is asking about installing stock firmware over his Google Nexus 5 and you seem to mention about the samsung...... :devil:

@David you can have a look over the XDA thread here "forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-google-nexus-5-t2562921" :)

— modified on May 13, 2014, 12:07:48 PM

Radu D.

David Dwyer

May 13, 2014, 11:46:25 AM via Website

None of it makes any sense to me.

Lalit
  • Admin

May 13, 2014, 12:46:38 PM via Website

Well, @David let me start from the scratch as you are a beginner user, :)so it might be giving you heck of a confusion on how to exactly. I was not writing all the step here because there are a number of things to be followed and this post may get long. :'(Anyway the in my previous post I though you might be having a little knowledge. So, I have given the files that is necessary for carrying out the flashing process anyway I'll tell you in detail::angel:

Anyway as I am telling you from the scratch means forget about the previous post:

Pre-requisites for carrying out the flashing process is::?

1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 5 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.

2) You need Enable USB Debugging Mode and connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it.
You can enable the USB debugging mode by going on to the settings>about phone>tap build number until a message appear saying "You are now a Developer" now from there enable the USB Debugging mode by navigation to settings>> developer option.

Note: This process will wipe out the complete data of your device, so you should create a backup before preceding. Also make sure that your device have charge above 80%.

3) The bootloader of the device should be unlocked in order to perform this operation. :?

*How to unlock Bootloader:*:angel:

1): Download Android SDK/Fastboot and install USB drivers (You can get the Android SDK either by googling or by going to the android developer site), now enable USB debugging as I have mentioned it above on how to get your device to the USB debugging mode.

2): Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory

3): Switch your device off and boot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds.

4): Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt.

5): Type "fastboot oem unlock" in the cmd

6): Follow the instruction appearing on your device to confirm the bootloader unlocking and erase all data.

7): Your device will reboot itself when the process completes.

The bootloader of you device should now be unlocked.:D

4) Once the bootloader unlocks you need to get the stock ROM that too can be downloaded from the

"developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead";)

5) Next step is to extract the .tgz content and save it over to your PC and switch you device off and boot into the fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds.

6) Connect your device via USB to your PC and navigate to the factory image folder i.e. the .tgz file and launch the flash-all.bat script.

7) Next you need to wait a while until the installation process completed once the installation completes go to the device fastboot screen and select the recovery option by pressing the power button.

8) Select wipe data/factory reset and confirm it.

9) All done now select the Reboot option and wait until the device boots up into normal mode.

Now you can enjoy your stock ROM. :P

Note: While searching for the ROM make sure you have selected the appropriate device because selecting the..... can bricked your device. :angel:

Radu D.

David Dwyer

May 13, 2014, 7:10:57 PM via Website

Thank you for that information.

David Dwyer

May 15, 2014, 10:24:12 PM via Website

I have received the replacement telephone. Is it common that the firmware needs to be flashed on android phones?

Lalit
  • Admin

May 16, 2014, 6:55:02 AM via Website

Well, that's great that you have received the replacement ! Enjoy it .... yes, it can be said common sometimes need of flashing the ROM again over the devices arises because problems in updates, malicious apps, ......... etc.

Hussein cheayto
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 7, 2014, 7:34:19 AM via Website

Hi

I have a nexus 5 (build number: KOT49H) and I live in Lebanon. The problem is that I can't access the update for my phone (KitKat 4.4.3). I open settings<about phone<system update and then I press on the check now to see if there's an update but it's not updating to KitKat 4.4.3.
Is it because I live in lebanon (maybe the update didn't reach the nexus 5 phones in lebanon)?
Should I update it manually?
What are the consequences of updating manually?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jun 7, 2014, 9:12:49 AM via Website

Hi Hussein. You should really have started a new thread for this, but anyway: Even though 4.4.3 has been released for some Nexus and Google Edition devices it doesn't mean you'll get it immediately. To save on server use Google roll out the update for Nexus devices over a 3-4 week period, at random, so nobody can predict when individual phones will update. To do it manually is pretty easy and doesn't cause any issues, here's a good guide on xda.

Sinkster