Samsung Galaxy Note 2 — neither wifi nor hotspot will turn on my Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:48
Rich Gibson
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 30, 2014, 12:26:30 AM via Website

Guess this likely the cause of some update (not sure which)... but for the past week, I cannot move the slider (successfully) from Off to On for either Wifi or Hotspot (I do pay for a hotspot). Slider gives a greyed out 'on', stays that way for about 15 seconds and moves back to off. No error message at all. Taking the battery out and rebooting does nothing to fix. I've had the phone for 18 months or so without any issues... any assistance would be appreciated.

--Rich

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 30, 2014, 6:48:55 AM via Website

Have you tried doing the factory reset as sometimes this just happens because of the recent update, it may be lacking initialisation. Why don't you try doing a factory reset as this will re-initialize ...... :O

Rich Gibson

Apr 30, 2014, 7:34:15 PM via Website

John Farrell

Have you tried doing the factory reset as sometimes this just happens because of the recent update, it may be lacking initialisation. Why don't you try doing a factory reset as this will re-initialize ...... :O

I've given it some thought and started documenting what I have on the phone last night. May have to take the plunge, but was hoping to have some sort of confirmation that this would work before proceeding.

Nick Adler

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 1, 2014, 7:13:40 AM via Website

@Rich Well, I would say give it a try it might get you out of the problem, because as far as I know if you take your device to the servicing centre then they are going to do the same i.e factory reset. :angel:

Rich Gibson

May 2, 2014, 12:16:39 AM via Website

John Farrell

@Rich Well, I would say give it a try it might get you out of the problem, because as far as I know if you take your device to the servicing centre then they are going to do the same i.e factory reset. :angel:

No Dice. Factory Reset - lost all my apps and data... AND I Still Have the Problem. Neither Wifi nor Hotspot will turn on. Everything else is good. Any other advice?

Rich Gibson

May 2, 2014, 5:24:35 AM via Website

So, I did a HARD RESET subsequent. STILL neither of them are working. Something is seriously wrong with this phone vis-a-vis the firmware. Is my only hope when Kit Kat is released?

sho clone
  • Forum posts: 1

May 16, 2014, 7:54:44 AM via Website

had the same issue ,how about bluetooth ....if its out as well it could be your Motherboard that was my fix ,tep fix is smacking carefully on back of phone

Joe Bee
  • Forum posts: 2

May 30, 2014, 7:30:35 PM via Website

The problem is with the modem. Samsung changed it after 4.1 and you have to ensure that you get the correct modem for your model. I have the N7100 international and my modem is MJ5.

Flo

Jun 27, 2014, 7:16:22 PM via Website

Hi, if you don't mind, can you elaborate what you did, I have the same problem, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth it's not working even after a hard reset... Thank you so much !

Asif katti

Oct 13, 2014, 11:47:51 AM via Website

I also got same issue when I tap wifi icon turn very light green then after 5 or 15 sec..its off . please advise me so I can fix this problem....Thank you. ..

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 13, 2014, 2:44:55 PM via Website

asif katti

I also got same issue when I tap wifi icon turn very light green then after 5 or 15 sec..its off . please advise me so I can fix this problem....Thank you. ..

check whether bluetooth is working, because bluetooth and WiFi works on same chip .
see if the problem exist in safe mode

— modified on Oct 13, 2014, 2:45:13 PM

Ready To Help You.

Asif katti

Oct 13, 2014, 4:13:46 PM via Website

Fast of all Thanks Sanjai,I checked my bluetooth its working perfectly and I checked in safe mode also wifi icon when I tap same 2 to 5 sec..Green then gone off.As u r saying bluetooth and wifi on same chip that means its not a chip problem. My device Galaxy note 2 firewall 4.3 GT-N7100 please help some more Thanks. ...

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 13, 2014, 5:01:51 PM via Website

Asif katti

Fast of all Thanks Sanjai,I checked my bluetooth its working perfectly and I checked in safe mode also wifi icon when I tap same 2 to 5 sec..Green then gone off.As u r saying bluetooth and wifi on same chip that means its not a chip problem. My device Galaxy note 2 firewall 4.3 GT-N7100 please help some more Thanks. ...

It might be a bug on firmware. Try re-flashing the phone with ODIN

Ready To Help You.

Sounak Mukherjee

Oct 15, 2014, 6:24:14 AM via Website

Hi All,

I am using a Samsung G Note 2.
My Bluetooth handset and Wi-Fi is not working like most of you above.

As I see some of you mentioning it being a bug on firmware.

Please can somebody walk me through the steps on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Addison Conzet

Nov 19, 2014, 6:44:19 AM via Website

I know im late to the thread, but my brother has this phone, and all i had to do was hit the back of the phone firmly a few times. worked like a charm

http ://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-pro/235830-droid-pro-wifi-wont-turn.html

(remove the space after http. they dont allow links in posts)

Kent Hunter-DuvarPanashe MushoriwaNick AdlerGerry Hanjra

Madhu

Nov 30, 2014, 6:22:11 AM via Website

Yes. Me too had similar problem. Had lost all connectivity except datanetwork.
Thanks for the other members' input. I just hit back of my phone hard a couple of times. And immediately everything is OK.
I had even reset my phone & lost all data

Kent Hunter-DuvarNick AdlerJinchuan Xiang

Wylie

Dec 1, 2014, 6:04:45 PM via Website

Okay I really thought that hitting the back of the phone would be a waste of my time but it worked! Both my wifi and Bluetooth came on and stayed on. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated! :)

Kent Hunter-DuvarNick Adler

mrfremo

Dec 6, 2014, 6:10:46 PM via Website

Really? You've got to be kidding. I just did the same thing. The whole process. Factory reset. Then hard reset. Then finally after I found this life saving thread - a tap on the back of the phone and whala! How long is this fix good for is what I wonder. Oh well. At least it's working now. Many thanks.

Kent Hunter-Duvar

Jake121211

Jan 19, 2015, 4:54:32 AM via Website

All I can say is wtf...I never reply on forums... but I created this account. . Just to say. . Slapping the back worked. ..wtf wtf wtf. Anyway. .. It didn't work the first couple times. .. then it worked for a short time. .. Last time stuck...I still don't get the logic...I love the guy who figured this out...had to be old like me from a time where you hit broke stuff first then if that didn't work you tinkered with it. Anyway THANK YOU!

Kent Hunter-DuvarNick Adler

Robert Nesta Marley
  • Forum posts: 39

Jan 19, 2015, 5:29:00 AM via Website

If its under warranty period than why don't you slam your phone in a face of that shopkeeper.

William Ericson

Jan 27, 2015, 7:13:05 PM via Website

As stated below the real fix is to rap the phone back on a bedpost about 5 times, and all of a sudden wifi just works fine. Just hit the back, it really fixes it instantly, before you go resetting and learning every setting and
booting with no sim and all that clear cach stuff.

William Ericson

Jan 27, 2015, 7:18:18 PM via Website

Just rap on the back of the phone 5 times, and wifi reappears and you see all those networks and the wifi slider stays on. This really works - 2 days wasted trying everything else on the net. It is some internal connector problem people with cannot get wifi to connect are having on galaxy note 2 android.

Vincent Marino

Mar 21, 2015, 12:46:10 PM via Website

Make sure that your gps is enabled. It worked for me.

Cherrybelle7

Mar 23, 2015, 4:39:26 AM via Website

sho clone

had the same issue ,how about bluetooth ....if its out as well it could be your Motherboard that was my fix ,tep fix is smacking carefully on back of phone

Lmao had to create an account here because I smacked the back of my GN2 and it's fix. When I first read this I was like "Is this post for real?" It is for real alright. My Wi-Fi troubles are gone. Smack that phone! Haha That used to be the fix for every electronic when I was growing up lol

Syed Salman
  • Forum posts: 3

May 1, 2015, 2:13:10 PM via Website

How shud i hit it exactly

Syed Salman

May 1, 2015, 2:14:55 PM via Website

William Ericson

As stated below the real fix is to rap the phone back on a bedpost about 5 times, and all of a sudden wifi just works fine. Just hit the back, it really fixes it instantly, before you go resetting and learning every setting and
booting with no sim and all that clear cach stuff.

How shud i hit it

Syed Salman

May 1, 2015, 2:15:20 PM via Website

William Ericson

Just rap on the back of the phone 5 times, and wifi reappears and you see all those networks and the wifi slider stays on. This really works - 2 days wasted trying everything else on the net. It is some internal connector problem people with cannot get wifi to connect are having on galaxy note 2 android.

My wifi and bluetooth is not working what shud i do :(

Jamie Ocampo

May 13, 2015, 8:48:53 PM via Website

Hit it like a pimp, hit it from the back.

Harsha Reddy

Jun 6, 2015, 12:31:39 PM via Website

when i did it the phone went blank ,
then i removed the battery and touched the back and front of screen so it will have contact my screen broke (but it did work :P ).
then also wifi didnt turn on.
then i again tried tapping the phone again , same thing phone turned blank. again broke screen (this time on the top side)
phone turned on ...
hope 3rd time tapping brings me luck :D

Rishi Ashar

Jun 22, 2015, 6:01:23 AM via Website

It worked for me as well. WTF!! I mean what are the odds.

Natnael Mulugeta

Jul 10, 2015, 2:30:51 PM via Website

it worked for me too! came here to say thank you!

— modified on Jul 10, 2015, 2:31:21 PM

Mischa Thomas

Aug 14, 2015, 8:47:41 AM via Website

Addison Conzet

I know im late to the thread, but my brother has this phone, and all i had to do was hit the back of the phone firmly a few times. worked like a charm

http ://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-pro/235830-droid-pro-wifi-wont-turn.html

(remove the space after http. they dont allow links in posts)

Thank u big help.. i have the same problem... and i tap tap the back.. and works well.... i spent time thinking whats wrong . even erase all my apps. and recordings just to reset

Chloe Liew

Oct 24, 2015, 4:40:59 PM via Website

Actually thanks to sanjay i found out the solution by turning on bluetooth and wifi together
The other solutions didn't work but this did maybe ur phone is the same

Marco Salinas

Nov 14, 2015, 11:48:52 PM via Website

The "tap...tap" method worked for the 1st few times....then just quit! Pulled the unit apart, used my rework heat gun and heated up the IC, scrapped clean the contact surface on the back cover and stretched the spring contact a bit. Put back together and now BOTH WIFI and Bluetooth are now working! Hope this helps and good luck!

Prasad Lal

Jan 14, 2016, 5:18:46 PM via Website

I had the same problem.
I tried every possible way be it factory reset or hard reset or soft reset and what ultimately worked was your solution. Three taps !!
Truly lifesaving. Thanks a ton !!

Eddie McNeight

Jan 19, 2016, 3:25:57 AM via Website

Tap method did not work. Some reason when I loosen the screws on the back just half turn wifi started to work.

Matt Haviland

Mar 27, 2016, 3:10:56 AM via Website

Not gonna lie, I had a feeling that I would end up breaking my phone by tapping it. But surprisingly enough, it actually worked. I was laughing so hard afterwards that I was literally in tears. Go figure, 21st century technology, just gotta beat on it a bit lmfao

Jinchuan Xiang

Apr 6, 2016, 9:46:21 PM via Website

Omg I can't believe this worked . just hit it hard and this dam wifi did turn on . holy crap . thanks man

tanin

Apr 18, 2016, 10:39:08 PM via Website

Rich Gibson

Guess this likely the cause of some update (not sure which)... but for the past week, I cannot move the slider (successfully) from Off to On for either Wifi or Hotspot (I do pay for a hotspot). Slider gives a greyed out 'on', stays that way for about 15 seconds and moves back to off. No error message at all. Taking the battery out and rebooting does nothing to fix. I've had the phone for 18 months or so without any issues... any assistance would be appreciated.

--Rich

Mashiyat harlan

Jun 30, 2016, 4:30:53 AM via Website

Hi I have been having similar problems but also my rotation and gps location doesn't work as well as my wifi and bluetooth. I have tried smacking the phone and now my bluetooth works #miracle. But the rest doesn't is there anything I can do?

Irene Zbavden

Sep 25, 2016, 8:00:33 AM via Website

funny thing is, smacking the phone works perfect. just smack that phone

Gurudas sahu

Nov 10, 2016, 10:19:32 AM via Website

I tried everything like rebooting, factory reset, everything but still i cant open my wifi ....the slider moves and after 15 sec comes again in his position but it dosent get ON at all ! Give me some idea to fix this shit !!!

Nick Adler

Mar 8, 2017, 2:25:14 PM via Website

Hello - I have a Samsung III mini, now some 3 years old, and the WiFi has suddenly failed. Refuses to switch on.

Can be persuaded to display "Turning on..." but nothing happens.

Tried banging the back a few times and the same, reasonably hard, on each corner.

No dice. I thought I'd enquire - is this a known fault on the SIII mini too?

Alternatively, does anyone know where the WiFi aerial might be and what it looks like.

Can I remove the 10 screws from the back of the case and give the aerial a nudge?

Naresh C

Jul 24, 2017, 12:45:56 AM via Website

Bedpost smack therapy didn't help me.
Maybe not the right bedpost😊
Nevertheless, it inspired me to ...
I powered off my phone, opened the back cover, removed the battery, re-seated the sim, removed the dust that had somehow settled inside, with a soft bristle brush, and blowing off any loose dust, put everything back together & switched on, and was pleased to see my wifi back ON!
I suspect the dust was the problem and
I guess, if the dust is reasonably loose, smacking can help dislodging it from sensitive wifi antennae areas.

Nick Adler

Nick Adler

Jul 25, 2017, 10:37:44 AM via Website

I have a little puffer for blowing dust off camera lenses. I'll try it on this old phone. Along with some more banging.

Nick Adler

Aug 22, 2017, 6:42:29 AM via Website

No, I tried puffing all over the insides of this phone and it made no difference. But the replacement was only £60 from Amazon.

Strange that the new phone (brand new it was, socket was tight) doesn't work the same as the old and in some ways is less sophisticated! Screen doesn't show battery %age, and texting refuses to "learn" my spelling or signature.

regan wasswa

Mar 18, 2018, 12:36:58 PM via Website

about the issue of samsung Note2 wifi and hotspot failure
if u have tried to change its firm ware and still failing to switch on then just get a new mother because it is too common in note two