Entirely New UI

• Replies:1
cr872190
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 3, 2014, 8:08:04 PM via Website

I am graphic designer/UI/UX designer and have sort of a strange question. I am aware that launcher/lock screen replacements exist but I am wondering if it is possible to change the entirety of Androids user interface?

From what I understand the launcher and lockscreen are apps that can be replaced by alternate ones, but taking this idea to its logical extreme could someone essentially create an entire new UI, similar to HTC's Sense, but one that changes the way that the phone deals with homescreens/multitasking etc? I understand that this would be a very large project but I am looking for a basic understanding of whether or not this is possible, how it would work, and what would be required in terms of programming and resources. I am a pretty new programmer but have access to some resources to at least get this started. Any help or pointing me to another forum/resource would be great.

Thanks.

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 13, 2014, 8:31:34 PM via Website

Interesting question. I'm assuming you want to move beyond the level of re-themeing your device (which would be much, much simpler than an entirely new UI). I'm a casual rooter, so I'm not an authority, but I can speak from a bit of experience: I've never seen an Android ROM that entirely redid the UI for the system. Now, it's possible to remove custom UI's that manufacturers add (e.g. TouchWiz and MotoBlur), but I've never seen an independent dev ever completely reinvent the stock UI.

If it is possible for an independent person/group to do this, it would be a gigantic undertaking. I wouldn't recommend any one person to try it.

--I do a good impression of myself--