How important is Dual SIM?

• Replies:13
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Nov 25, 2013, 11:16:52 AM via Website

Samsung just announced its new mid-range device, the Galaxy Grand 2 which holds dual SIM support and mid-range tech specs.

There are lots of other dual SIM smartphones out there which have quite the big market.

Is dual SIM something that is important for you?

Mohamed Suleman
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 25, 2013, 3:19:35 PM via Website

Here in South Africa we do not have many 'Big Brand' dual sim phones readily available.

I would personally love a dual sim phone since I have a normal contract with one provider and another Data contract with a different provider. So at the moment I carry around two devices; My Samsung S3 with my normal sim in it and a Mobile hotspot with my data contract in it.

However, the size of the Grand 2 may be just a little bit too wide, I'm alerady strugling with my S3 for one handed operation.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 25, 2013, 3:37:05 PM via Website

I like the look of the Galaxy Grand but in my limited experience with dual SIM devices I know they can be a major drain on your battery because your phone can be searching for two networks at once. You can usually set your device to have one on and one off (if they are for separate countries, for example, and you don't need two SIMs functioning at once), but if you have two running simultaneously you'll need a good battery.

Alternatively you can usually set one as default and the other as an option (when placing a call or texting for example) that only activates when it is needed. But that doesn't help if you need to be able to receive calls on both SIMs at once - but again, I'm not 100% sure on this because I've never owned one. I was talking to Jakob about this the other day and he said most of the people he knows that need a dual SIM phone end up just going for two phones rather than get a dual-SIM phone they don't really like that sucks too much battery.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Alec B.
  • Forum posts: 35

Jan 22, 2014, 4:09:55 AM via Website

Hi all,

Dual Sim phones...honestly our family, 6 of us, all have Samsung Note 3 with 4.3, phones bought from ..CHINA !!...and I'm sorry to say ..they leave the western mobiles way behind..of course, you have to take chances as we all do with our poor western mobile back up service, or lack of in most cases.
You can purchase even 3 or 4 Dual Sim....why ?...don't know ha ha !....but we would not be living without our 6 family Dual sim mobiles.
I personally have Business on one, and Friends on the other...one is Vodafone call, txt & Data and my other is 2 Degrees, normal...call & txt.
My mate has a 4 Sim mobile...Business, Family and the other 2..are for his 'recreation'..girl friends ? ...saves him juggling 4 separate mobiles...he has named the first 2...and Sim locked the other 2...he's in IT so don't ask me how he does it.
My first China mobile a Samsung end in suicide...the loo ...so on the Net and had my new one in just on a 8 days....fantastic ! ...and bought 5 more as family presents...we're all on the same mobile page...its never boring for topics in our home ...thanks China...thanks Samsung !...one more thing..you can add more front pages for more Apps saves 'removing'...I've got 8 pages now...does any other western mobile do or allow it ??

Cheers
Alec B

— modified on Jan 22, 2014, 4:13:59 AM

Luis Enrique
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 13, 2014, 6:06:51 PM via Website

Kris Carlon
I like the look of the Galaxy Grand but in my limited experience with dual SIM devices I know they can be a major drain on your battery because your phone can be searching for two networks at once. You can usually set your device to have one on and one off (if they are for separate countries, for example, and you don't need two SIMs functioning at once), but if you have two running simultaneously you'll need a good battery.

Alternatively you can usually set one as default and the other as an option (when placing a call or texting for example) that only activates when it is needed. But that doesn't help if you need to be able to receive calls on both SIMs at once - but again, I'm not 100% sure on this because I've never owned one. I was talking to Jakob about this the other day and he said most of the people he knows that need a dual SIM phone end up just going for two phones rather than get a dual-SIM phone they don't really like that sucks too much battery.

Hi,

The low battery life depends a lot of the type of device that you buy, in fact there are some dual SIM devices with great battery specs. For instance, the Lenovo P780 comes with a 4000mAh battery that can works for more than twenty hours, and the phone is designed to handle both SIM cards alternatively. This type of device allow its owner to configure the SIM cards usage, which means that you can select one SIM card to work for 3G and the other one for 2G, in that way can save money depending on the plan that you have on the SIM cards.

Nowadays, manufacturers are increasing the quantity of dual SIM versions released into the market, even high-end models have its dual SIM versions, like: Samsung Galaxy S5 (G9009D), HTC One dual SIM, and others.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 14, 2014, 7:08:10 AM via Website

Well, for me dual SIM means the most for me because I travel alot from my home town so it keeps getting me calling service available at the nominal rate It helps me in keeping away from the headache of changing SIM card as I move to different places. :blink:

Luis Enrique

I2e Consulting
  • Forum posts: 15

Apr 14, 2014, 7:16:11 AM via Website

Dual Sim, is really an asset, if you want to keep your personal and professional life separate. I personally use one number for my office contacts and the other one for my family and friends.

Luis Enrique

Paul Warner
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 15, 2014, 2:17:26 AM via Website

I have tried the Moto G dual SIM . The big problem was that if you wanted to have both SIMs live or on standby one or both SIMs have to be GSM/2G. Having two WCDMA/3G SIMs will not work. The second one will disable it's self as it can't find any 2G network..

Luis Enrique

Apr 22, 2014, 10:28:44 PM via Website

You're right! That's the main weakness of dual SIM devices, that not all models allow 3G in both SIM cards. However, as the market evolves there are more models that are "dual SIM active", like the Lenovo K910, GS4 and 5, and others. Most of the mid-range and low-end devices are dual stand by though...

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 23, 2014, 6:42:03 AM via Website

@paul well, this is just a harsh truth I have also tried doing the same with my samsung duos but an popup opens up and says and tells that both the sim cards network cannot be switched to 3G network one has to be in the GSM mode ! :(

Luis Enrique

May 26, 2014, 10:30:13 PM via Website

Hi,

Well, is just the way the market is going... newer devices like the Galaxy S5 come with dual SIM active feature and even LTE. Then, older dual SIM devices usually are more difficult to handle. I guess this technology will continue to evolve and in the near future more dual SIM devices will allow 3G in both SIM cards.

Regards

Alec B.

Jun 12, 2014, 1:05:08 AM via Website

Hi,

I bought 5 x 80,000mAh battery covers for our Samsung G4's... from, yes...China !...just remove back and slide your G4 into new battery back...it's a bit more weighty but for the extra non charging time hassle it's a dream !...you can switch the pack on to charge your mob battery when it shows its low .... and it auto shuts off when mob battery full ... charging the 'bat pak' is no hassel, and fast !! ....and with a Dual Sim (or 3-4 Sim)..it's a dream... 4-8 days use is fab...depending on your heavy usage.

We Westerners are are getting 'reamed' by our suppliers...5 x G4's (4.4), + 5 x "Bat Pak's " for all family is well worth the outlay !!

Luis Enrique

Jun 12, 2014, 2:33:50 AM via Website

Hi,
Those new external battery chargers are pretty cool, how much did you pay for the item? Where did you buy it?

Regards

Alec B.

Jun 12, 2014, 5:32:37 AM via Website

Hi
Type ..battery packs, China...or similar words...aliexpress..eg. ..you'll get swamped.... Mine was a 'multi pack' deal...far cheaper ...1/3 of Western costs.