Rooted Nook Color (Honeycomb) as a GPS

• Replies:6
Pixel Slave
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 23, 2011, 7:29:18 PM via Website

My Nook Color just won't stop to impress me. I knew it can be used as a GPS unit, but I haven't taken the time to try it out, but I finally did it:

YouTube - Nook Color (Honeycomb) as a GPS - Hands on [HD]

I am seriously thinking of creating a car mount for it using Shapeways. Searching for a base 3D template now ...

Pixel Slave

Mar 23, 2011, 10:26:17 PM via Website

Were you looking for a bigger display for your GPS?

Yup. I am not a 20+, the bigger the screen, the better :lol:

So you sent the GPS data from your droid to the Nook?

Yes. NOTE: I have heard success story about using a Bluetooth GPS with an off-line map app, so it doesn't have to be tethering thru Wifi.

Alex T.
  • Forum posts: 30

Mar 25, 2011, 2:56:49 AM via Website

That's impressive. Now that Bluetooth is enabled (experimentally) on the Nook Color those $50 Bluetooth GPS units seem like a pretty good idea :D.

Pixel Slave

Mar 25, 2011, 3:51:09 AM via Website

That's impressive. Now that Bluetooth is enabled (experimentally) on the Nook Color those $50 Bluetooth GPS units seem like a pretty good idea :D

I've thought about it, but unless I am willing to buy an offline map app (which will probably require a fee for updates), using a Bluetooth GPS is not going to be any better than tethering from my phone. If I don't buy an offline map app, I will still require a data connection for Google Map/Navigation, which means I will have to use 3 devices!

Pixel Slave

Mar 25, 2011, 7:36:49 PM via Website

Someone told me that Locus is an offline navigation/GPS app. Have you looked at it?

I didn't -- I don't have a Bluetooth GPS, so using an offline map won't benefit me (at the end of it, I still need to tether from my phone to get the GPS data.) However, I knew people who tried iGO My way with Bluetooth GPS on their Nook Color are quite happy with the result. Their major complaint is that the GPS unit has to be very close to the Nook Color (seems to be a problem of the Nook Color -- Bluetooth reception drops significantly beyond 1 ft.)