Help with .aspx pages

• Replies:18
Wayne Rayner
  • Forum posts: 6

Feb 23, 2011, 7:29:17 PM via Website

Hi there:

We have just purchased a new Dell Streak, which is more of a tablet than a smart phone. It runs on Android 1.6.

We are trying to view a marine traffic chart here:

http://vtslite.siitech.com/VTSLite/AView.aspx

Which apparently is a file extension for an ASP .NET active server page. It's a web technology used on Microsoft servers running Internet Information Services and ASP .NET.

We can't get full functionality on the map with the Streak. You can see this if you access it on a regular computer or laptop- Double click and the screen magnfies, you can drag it right or left, etc to move like a Google map.

Would someone be able to suggest how we can attain reasonable functionality on the Dell Streak, either with an Android app perhaps, or another smart phone that works?

Thanks very much,

Wayne Rayner
Victoria, BC
Canada

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 23, 2011, 9:32:16 PM via Website

I'm also not able to interface with the webpage on my Android 2.3.2 device. I'm not sure what is causing this problem, and why my PC can use the site, but my phone cannot. You could try contacting the webmaster for the page and ask them if they know why it wouldn't work on a mobile browser.

ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Feb 24, 2011, 3:06:27 AM via App

when I switch the android off and click desk top I did not have any problem viewing/using any of the tools on the link you provided. l have mdx 2.2.1 tho, im not sure if a 1.6 have this option. its under the phone browser part robot part desk top when viewing a browser from your phone.

English is my second Language :-)

Douglas Carter

Feb 24, 2011, 10:55:53 AM via Website

irenelopour
when I switch the android off and click desk top I did not have any problem viewing/using any of the tools on the link you provided. l have mdx 2.2.1 tho, im not sure if a 1.6 have this option. its under the phone browser part robot part desk top when viewing a browser from your phone.

So you were able to use the map, moving around and zooming in/out in the internet browser on your Moto Droid X?

— modified on Feb 24, 2011, 10:56:11 AM

ireneL

Feb 24, 2011, 3:39:23 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
irenelopour

So you were able to use the map, moving around and zooming in/out in the internet browser on your Moto Droid X?

Hi Douglas,

That is correct.

Not an ideal way to view the map tho, being a mobile device, everything is cram in and had to zoom in and out to make selection and view the map.

Correct me if im wrong, but i seem to remember some one else in here having the device that i have? Maybe they can check it out?

Do you not have the desk top option on your device? My mdx allows me the option of switching to a desk top mode or iphone mode if i wasn't succesful in viewing a particular item with the android.

ireneL

Feb 24, 2011, 3:44:08 PM via App

ok its early and im on my first java.lol I apologize for sounding cranky.lol

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 24, 2011, 6:11:57 PM via App

I would say it's a problem with the Android browser. If the streak doesn't have the desktop option, like Irene's phone you could try downloading another browser from the market. I'd probably try dolphin browser first.

ireneL

Feb 24, 2011, 10:17:35 PM via Website

Hi Douglas, Jeremiah,

I was using Skyfire 3.2.1.22099 when i view the link above.

never question the option before because its always been there since i downloaded Skyfire, of course theres been upgrade since i got froyo.

Like the facebook, twitter etc, you got the idea, it's a browser, so im assuming it should be the same with every ones phone that has the Skyfire version 3.2.1.

Am i wrong?

I don't have any access to another phone to take video or i would and my husband is doing over time so no telling on when he'll be home.:blink:

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 25, 2011, 12:24:28 AM via App

irenelopour
Hi Douglas, Jeremiah,

I was using Skyfire 3.2.1.22099 when i view the link above.

never question the option before because its always been there since i downloaded Skyfire, of course theres been upgrade since i got froyo.

Like the facebook, twitter etc, you got the idea, it's a browser, so im assuming it should be the same with every ones phone that has the Skyfire version 3.2.1.

Am i wrong?

I don't have any access to another phone to take video or i would and my husband is doing over time so no telling on when he'll be home.:blink:

Yeah, if they have the same version of skyfire, it should be pretty much the same on any phone.

Douglas Carter

Feb 25, 2011, 1:13:52 PM via Website

Wayne, if you are still here, give Skyfire a try and that may solve your problem.

I'll give Skyfire a try as well. This whole "PC mode" sounds interesting. I've been using the stock browser till now, but this sounds like a good reason to switch.

Wayne Rayner

Feb 25, 2011, 8:56:02 PM via Website

Hi Folks:

Thanks for all of your answers.

I've tried a number of different smart phone browsers for this Dell Streak:

The standard Android browser (obviously unsuccessful), Dolphin Browser HD, Dolphin Browser Mini, Firefox, Opera Mini, and Skyfire.

Of all of these, the one I have had the most success with is Opera Mini. This seems to download the page quickly, and allows somewhat awkward but usable functionality.

I will keep you posted if I find anything better. Judging from the comments, I thought that Skyfire would be best, but it's functionality on the Streak is limited.

Thanks and regards,

Wayne

ireneL

Feb 26, 2011, 3:18:24 AM via App

l am glad you found a browser that would work for you.

sorry I couldn't provide video for everyone to see, had to scale down due to the ever increasing cost of living. (groan)
l tried taking a video using my husbands phone to no avail, could not get a view able shot of my mdx screen, was so disgusted that I just gave up.
You win some and you lose some.
goodluck with your endevour..

— modified on Feb 26, 2011, 3:19:41 AM

ireneL

Feb 26, 2011, 3:58:48 AM via App

l am going to apologise in advance, cause the question I am about to ask you ,
can be misunderstood on more ways than one.

When you said Skyfire did not work, were you able to view the link but not able to interact with the map?

Im curious, cause if that's the case, did you select satellite view on the "select your location"?

I don't have dell streak so I have no idea on the phones capabilities and no I don't think your dumb iether. see why I apologise in advance. :-)

Sorry for the harsh words. :-)

Wayne Rayner

Feb 26, 2011, 5:21:25 PM via Website

Hello Irene:

I'm unfamiliar with "Select satellite view" on the Streak, so if you tell me where to look, where it was on your phone, I'll check.

The Dell Streak (I actually hate that name, sounds gross!) does have default GPS- it can be used as a voice instruction GPS system- and also has a fully functional Google Maps ability as well.

By the way, I did find "Switch to Desktop" mode in the Skyfire browser, but it didn't make any difference in my case.

Cheers,

~W~

ireneL

Feb 27, 2011, 12:53:17 AM via Website

Hi Wayne,

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3199295026/PictureID=122651266026/a=5128899026_5128899026/

When viewing the above link to the right of my phone screen is the "go to " button, Under neat the filter button, don't clink the select your location window, to the right of that is the little button with arrow down, click that and (not sure on what you gonna get on the drop down window) select (Sat) = Satellite View Recommended.

After that my phone remember my selection then i can go back and sellect America and Canada etc.

btw i just tried Dolphins browser HD and its better browser for playing with the map.

Have you tried using the Opera Mobile Web Browser?

You might want to read around on the link below to see if you can upgrade your firmware from 1.6 to 2.1 then 2.2..

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2010/11/15/android-2-2-froyo-and-the-dell-streak-details-on-how-the-upgrade-will-work.aspx

Goodluck and keep us posted on how it goes.:blink:

Wayne Rayner

Feb 27, 2011, 5:56:12 AM via Website

Hi Irene:

I did manage to get most of the fuctionality in Opera Mini.

Also, our local provider did offer an upgrade to Android 2.2, so I've got that now.

However, it's still not good enough.

The decision's been made that we'll have to go to a full-size tablet or notebook which offers a mouse pointer. As you know if you've played around on the shipping traffic map, just hovering your pointer over the ship gives information; clicking on it highlights it and makes even more detail available. This is infinitely easier with a mouse.

I like the phone, but the manuverability just isn't there for this particular website.

Thanks for all your help...

Cheers,

~W~

ireneL

Feb 27, 2011, 7:38:39 AM via Website

Sounds like a good plan, it would be better for what your trying to do.
Goodluck

Douglas Carter

Feb 28, 2011, 1:05:29 PM via Website

Sorry to hear that your purchase didn't quite work out for you. I hope you find the netbook/tablet you are looking for. Let us know if you are looking for recommendations on what brands/models to look at.