Motorola Moto X — how to move / backup files

• Replies:4
Steven F.
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 21, 2016, 7:01:06 PM via Website

I have a moto x pure edition 6 months old. running android 6.0
I have Cheetah mobile file manager and my pc is win 10.
Win 10 file manager doesn't recognize that the phone is full of files... and if i use the right mouse button to import images and videos it starts scanning and then says there is nothing on the phone.
File manager won't show all the photos in the gallery and when i select an image and try to move it to the SD card and follow the correct process it doesn't move anything. At some point it worked but even though i have a SD card that i know works it won't move more there and I have full empty space and the internal memory is getting scarce.
I had a Nexus 5 that I loved but somehow died and chose this phone over the 5X cause of the expandable memory and now not working.
Anyone out there with suggestions?
sferrari

pentel
  • Forum posts: 251

Jun 21, 2016, 8:15:50 PM via Website

Steven F.

I have a moto x pure edition 6 months old. running android 6.0
I have Cheetah mobile file manager and my pc is win 10.
Win 10 file manager doesn't recognize that the phone is full of files... and if i use the right mouse button to import images and videos it starts scanning and then says there is nothing on the phone.
File manager won't show all the photos in the gallery and when i select an image and try to move it to the SD card and follow the correct process it doesn't move anything. At some point it worked but even though i have a SD card that i know works it won't move more there and I have full empty space and the internal memory is getting scarce.
I had a Nexus 5 that I loved but somehow died and chose this phone over the 5X cause of the expandable memory and now not working.
Anyone out there with suggestions?
sferrari

Avoid Cheetah mobile file manager and all their other apps. Cheetah mobile apps are known to contain malware.

What's wrong with the good old cable? Plug in a USB cable from phone to computer, you can backup, transfer, move, copy the files in your phone to computer, vice versa.

One bad thing about Motorola phones is they don't provide a file manager. But all is not lost, if your Motorola is running the latest Android version, it has a "file manager" from Settings > Storage. Tap on either internal storage or SD card to view the files. If you are running an older version of Android, check if there is a software update for a later version.

If you want a phone that comes with a File Manager, buy a Samsung phones, they come with a File Manager, Notepad (Memo), and many other Samsung apps.

Steven F.
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 21, 2016, 9:06:38 PM via Website

I just dumped the file manager, thanks.

It had worked fine on the Nexus 5. On the Nexus 5 (Android 6.0) I could off load any and all files (pictures, movies, music) easily to my laptop or the other way moving new music on to the phone with Win 8.1 and with the Moto X pure (6.0) on win 10 I don't even see all the files I open DCIM and look for camera but there are no files listed there.

I used foto gallery to move files and supposedly most pictures got moved but the internal memory use didn't go down a notch after moving some 300 images.

If with the usb connected I finally get a chance to see some (small amount) of the files and try to move them to the sandisk SD card the thing takes 10 minutes and doesn't move the file...

And i didn't go with samsung after the great experience with the Nexus 5 for 2 years (even after dropping it in water) I tried for the cleanest Android experience with the Moto X (money also was part of the equation, obviously.

Thanks for trying to help
sferrari

wqqwab
  • Forum posts: 11

Jun 29, 2016, 3:51:40 AM via Website

To transfer or backup motorola phone data, we can use an android file manager to backup them to computer.

Steven F.nowk

Steven
  • Forum posts: 118

May 20, 2020, 10:38:41 AM via Website

Try to change a USB cable,and check whether it work normally.
Google account is a good helper that will backup and restore files.
Or you can use the Motorola backup tool,which enbales user manage data on computer with simple clicks.

— modified on May 20, 2020, 10:39:18 AM