my battery draining fast, after marshmallow update.

• Replies:112
Dave Stephens
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 10, 2016, 9:26:05 PM via Website

So i installed GSAM battery monitor and saw the processor clock didn't go to a very low state, remaining at ~350khz and that drained the battery. After the october 1, 2016 update (marshmallow version for AT&T on an S5) the clock rate will fairly reliably average ~128khz when the phone is resting (not in doze mode) and significantly improves battery life... for just under 3 days, then the clock rate bumped up to drain the battery faster. I just did a power reset and then it recovered to the lower drain state.
I then got 5 days under light use before getting to 20%. This is pretty much identical to what the phone was doing on lollipop back in january 2016... so 10 months of development on a new OS and they got back to where they started!

Dave Stephens

Dec 22, 2016, 3:52:11 PM via Website

So, debugging as much as I can with limited android knowledge. I did find that after a forced update (I can't make it stop) of "galaxy apps" the phone drained ~40% battery overnight when in airplane mode. It seems that something in the galaxy apps wants to update and without a connection to 4G (I don't have a data plan) and no internet, it hangs up and uses processor power that kills the battery. The odd thing is that the last two times I had it draining the battery, GSAM said it was in doze mode... and the processor was at 50% use and .4GHZ.
It's absurd, and I did get the drain to improve after "force close" on the galaxy apps. I then uninstalled that to the factory version and reset the phone again.
I'm backing up now and planning to try a factory reset, then back to lolipop if I can figure out how to download it.

Kenneth Tuisk
  • Forum posts: 4

Dec 29, 2016, 12:47:40 PM via Website

well i can install android 6.0 cuz i have samsung galaxy s4 mini intl with cyanogenmod 12.1 currently but i will install android M (cm 13.0)

Kenneth Tuisk

Dec 29, 2016, 12:48:45 PM via Website

i prefer you du battery saver cuz it helped me to use phone cuz it saves battery and saves battery :D

Kenneth Tuisk

Dec 29, 2016, 2:04:13 PM via Website

use du battery saver

Kenneth Tuisk

Dec 30, 2016, 10:35:19 AM via Website

well battery saver is good idea but i prefered u du battery saver before but now i prefer go battery pro i now tested it my own

Dave Stephens

Mar 1, 2017, 8:50:52 PM via Website

So I can't figure out how to get past the firmware revision lock (ODIN download forces me to stay at marshmallow). I can also not get my bootloader unlocked (tried kingroot, safestrap, towelroot).
What I'm doing - which works very well so far - is to reset the phone every evening. Previous drain events started in the evening (8pm-ish), if I reset my phone at 6pm I have gotten 4 days out of it and I'm at 50% battery... which is just slightly better than it was on lollipop. Works for now, until AT&T / google force another update with new battery drain bugs.
I also noticed that every reboot drops my battery %, so I'm wondering if there's a marshmallow reporting problem, or if it draws more power than usual just to reboot.

Wesley W.
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 2, 2017, 4:53:41 AM via Website

Same here. Why does every update seems so unfriendly!

Dave Stephens

Mar 23, 2017, 6:54:11 PM via Website

AAH, success! I had previously tried going back to 6.0.1=OCT2016, which is as far as I thought I could go, since I can't root my AT&T S5. I was testing a few things and went back to this version recently, and that initial release had the fewest bugs. I allowed it to update to the 1JAN2017 patch... at which time it said it was up to date (even though I had a February update previously). I also noticed bugs like the power button not turning off the screen (or have it flash back on if it went off).

Long story short, I finally tried going to 5.1.1, April 2016 patch date, which had separate files (AP,BL,CP,CSC), and used ODIN for the download. It allowed me to downgrade back to lollipop with no issues. I had previously tried to go to 4.4.2 as a single file download, which was just too far back... or maybe the separate files is different somehow.
I then promptly installed "no root firewall" by Grey Shirts and disabled all the apps i could... this disabled the OS from downloading updates. There are messages of connecting to the DM server, but it doesn't get any data. (WOO HOO).

Files were from a search for the filename directly and found at uploadgig... /7Aae30D13ae54f6d/G900A_ATT_G900AUCS4CPA6_G900AATT4CPA6.zip
I found the list of filenames and OS level / patch date at galaxys5update.

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Mar 24, 2017, 10:31:20 AM via Website

Try Du battery saver app..

Mr. Jacob
  • Forum posts: 23

Apr 20, 2017, 11:08:39 PM via Website

That can do the same the advanced user can do, and it also drains battery (what a paradox).

Crystal Reinl
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 8, 2017, 12:13:37 PM via Website

Is this a common problem for smartphone? Please, i want to update my Huawei Honor 8 to Android 7.0, but worry about the battery life.

Pantsoffski
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 20, 2017, 12:19:51 PM via Website

In most of cases factory reset should help, but without making backup and restoring data after upgrade.